Metroguide USA v5

I have checked it out on the Garmin website and for my area; the maps are much more up to date. I just can't seem to find a place to purchase it. I can't purchase it on the Garmin website and I can find it sold anywhere else. Does anyone know a place to buy Metroguide USA v5 online?

RM

quote:
Originally posted by pjh:

If you are an internet buyer you might check GPS Discount.

I don't know if they are the cheapest but $89 for the new version that does auto routing.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=596

This page gives some details about the software.

http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgii.htm

PJH

Thanks for the website links PJH, but I think that the version being sold for $89 is v4.01. I have not been able to find where to buy the new Version 5 that now utilizes Navigation Technologies® map data which I find to be much better for this area.

Here is the link to the product on the Garmin website.

RM

I got a BAD feeling about this upgrade. My fear is that the updage is mostly POI data. (i.e more businesses in the database and not more street detail).

That means more memory per map to upload data to my GPS I don't really need. (I'd rather have more maps with street detail only -- I don' t need to know if there's a dry cleaner on the corner).

Hopefully I'm wrong. If someone buys it could they please post a comparsion? I'm guessing you won't be able to load as many maps in your unit with tne new version as yuou could with the old.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I have been doing a lot of conversing with GPSGeek (a Garmin Dealer on Ebay that I have done a lot of business with) about this new upgrade, and he states that the only difference between v5 and v4 will be the map vendor. He also says that the old version will actually have better maps than the new one. Think of this also: new version + new map vendor = program bugs. For what its worth, I will stick with the old one until I hear any reviews or the likewise.

quote:
Geotrout said:

I have been doing a lot of conversing with GPSGeek (a Garmin Dealer on Ebay that I have done a lot of business with) about this new upgrade, and he states that the only difference between v5 and v4 will be the map vendor. He also says that the old version will actually have better maps than the new one. Think of this also: new version + new map vendor = program bugs. For what its worth, I will stick with the old one until I hear any reviews or the likewise.

I personally tend to not buy new products until I've seen the results of others. In this case however, the data Garmin is using isn't really new to Garmin, it's jut new to Metroguide. They're just upgrading Metroguide to the database they've been using for City Select/nav, but not including the auto routing data. Personally, I find the Nav tech based maps to be considerably better for most areas I navigate in. The old TeleAtlas data they were using in the older versions of Metroguide was so innacurate and old as to be more trouble than it was worth to me. I would in no way shape or form say the old maps are better than the new ones. In some outlying areas, there may be old tiger map data for areas where Nav Tech hasn't mapped the region yet. For the vast majority of the country however, the nav tech data is considerably newer, and more accurate. (It's the same data base used in microsoft streets, mapopolis, most OEM vehicle gps systems etc.)

In general I agree with Searching_ut that the NavTech road data in most areas is more up-to-date and accurate than the older TeleAtlas data. However, there are some other differences as well. I use the current MG-USA for kayaking and have found the marine Navaid (lights/bouys/markers) data to be very useful and also like the tide data available at many points. Looking at the Garmin map viewer it doesn't appear that the NavTech-based version will have much of this data.