Broken lanyard tab on eTrex

MaxEntropy

I managed to break the little lanyard tab on the bottom of my etrex legend. I repaired it with epoxy, but that only lasted for a weekend.

I checked out the etrex case on offroute.com, but I'm not sure if I can use it when it's in the case. The strap seems to go over the antenna.

I want to be able to hang the Etrax around my neck.

Does anyone have any ideas? A case, repair, replacement? Could this possible be fixed under warranty?

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I have the Garmin made case for my eTrex Vista. Not only is there the cutout for using the existing lanyard connector, but there is also a loop above the belt clip on the back of the case that can be used for the lanyard.

Photo:

MacBWizardB00004VX39.01.BACK.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[This message was edited by MacBWizard201 on January 21, 2003 at 03:20 AM.]

I just got my etrex legend tonight, and inserting the lanyard, I thought "hrm, this looks like the only weak point on the case. I bet this will be the first thing to go".

It just looked a little flimsy...little plastic bar. But with a little care, Im sure it will last. icon_biggrin.gif

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

quote:
Originally posted by hoovman:

Can you fasten your lanyard to the battery cover loop? I think that's what Rhino owners are expected to do.

Bad idea. This trick worked with the old GPS II/III models, because the battery door was hinged to the body of the unit. On the eTrex models, the battery cover comes completely off. It would just take one twist of the strap, and away she goes.

I almost never use the strap that's attached to the unit. The only time it's not in the Garmin case is when it's in the RAM auto mount, or plugged into my PC. I have another strap attacked to the back of the case, which is what I use in the field.

3608_1400.gif

I have the neoprene case that MacBWizard201 shows in the picture and have attached my lanyard to the metal loop on the case. Reception seems unhindered by the case, but I do take it out and hold it when fighting for sat lock. I also use the belt hook to hook onto my backpack strap while I hike. Fractal snapped his attachment point off and glued it back on there somehow and I've seen him with his eTrex hanging from his neck on many an occasion. It's definitely on there!

No, really I do!!! *grin* He has saved an old calculator watch from the trash can about 4 times with J-B Weld. You might try it. Fill the whole area with J-B Weld, let it harden, then drill out just enough to fit the lanyard through.

What is the worst that can happen, it break again???

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

"...He has saved an old calculator watch from the trash can about 4 times with J-B Weld..."

This 'friend' who can't bear to part with his old calculator watch, he wouldn't also happen to wear a pair of Buddy Holly style eyeglasses with broken arms repaired with white first-aid tape, would he...?

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

quote:

"...He has saved an old calculator watch from the trash can about 4 times with J-B Weld..."

This 'friend' who can't bear to part with his old calculator watch, he wouldn't also happen to wear a pair of Buddy Holly style eyeglasses with broken arms repaired with white first-aid tape, would he...?

icon_wink.gif

http://canflag.ptbcanadian.com/images/animated/provii/ontario1.gif

This "FRIEND", my best friend Reiner (a German) I might add, is nearly 7 feet tall, about 280 pounds, and yes he does wear glasses. And I don't think I would care to make fun of his glasses OR his watch. However, if you are in the area, I would be glad to introduce you. You can ask him. On another note, he fits into the "the smaller the man, the bigger the gun" syndrome. My friend Charlie, smaller than I, carries a Colt Combat Commander in .45. I carry a Ruger KP-89 in 9mm. Reiner carries a Baretta Bearcat in .32 ACP. I con't know how he fits his finger in the triger guard. OTOH, I wouldn't accuse him of carrying a woman's gun either. *grin*

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:

"...This "FRIEND", my best friend Reiner (a German) I might add, is nearly 7 feet tall, about 280 pounds, and yes he does wear glasses. And I don't think I would care to make fun of his glasses OR his watch. However, if you are in the area, I would be glad to introduce you..."

I'm not sure, but I think you may have missed the intent of what was meant to be a bit of stereotype-based light-hearted jesting at the expense of those who still wear those old calculator watches (...and how you managed to bring the subject of handguns into it, I have no idea icon_eek.gif ).

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 23, 2003 at 08:51 AM.]

OK, I fixed it.

BTW, I need the lanyard to go around the neck of whichever kid is "driving" to the cache.

I filled the hole full of 5-minute epoxy and put both ends of a short bead chain into it. This made a pretty strong loop. I attached a fishing swivel-snap to it and made a new lanyard out of a shoe lace. Yes, I managed to lose the Garmin lanyard also.

If the bead chain breaks, whick I don't expect it to because it's a heck of a lot stronger than that little piece of plastic, then I can drill it out and re-epoxy it.

I'll see if I can upload a picture.

Thanks for the suggestions and the ideas on the cases. I just might get one anyway because I like the belt clip mount.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.