12XL Software

canoehead

Hi, my old and somwhat unreliable 12xl would like some new software. Thanks to garmin they forgot about poor old version 2.02, they have upgrades for nearly everything else, but nothing for my old friend. Even though i think she is making up numbers, i always geocache with her. If anyone has an updater to update from version 2.02 to better, or has anything else to say, Please post.

.:Canoe Head:.

I can hardly believe you call your 12XL unreliable. Mine gets the job done no matter what.

I have since bought a Garmin 76S but even with all the bells and whistles in the long run it doesn't do any more toward find caches than my 12XL. I have since passed the 12XL on to my son and that was a mistake because now my wife has taken up geocaching and I had to buy her a basic yellow e-trex. I think she would have been happier with the old reliable 12XL but I couldn't ask my son to give it back. I loved the 12.

Team Sidewinde

LOST AND FOUND DEPT.

Never thought I'd see a new software version for the 12/48 etc but after 5 years they release one with French translation changes? Wonders will never cease.

Anyway 2.02 you've got a problem (as you realize) as you need the interim updates (there's probably several of them?) to get to and be able to update with any of the currently available updates, 3.53 - April 1998, 4.60 - Aug 2003.

I suspect you might be stumped with 2.02?

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Kerry:

Anyway 2.02 you've got a problem (as you realize) as you need the interim updates (there's probably several of them?) to get to and be able to update with any of the currently available updates, 3.53 - April 1998, 4.60 - Aug 2003.

No, the problem is not getting interim updates, the problem is that the 12 series actually has a few different hardware implementations depending on when the unit was made. As a result, a unit with 2.xx firmware can only be upgraded to new 2.yy releases (not to 3.xx or 4.xx). The newer 3.53 and 4.60 releases would be incompatible with the hardware inside a 12XL, version 2.02 (actually I'm not even sure if that version had firmware upgrades as a feature).

Peter, Have found some notes and your right the version 2.x of the 12XL was a 16 bit processor and subsequently not able to be updated.

It's also interesting to note that there were no documented changes between 3.5x and 4.x, which leads some to think it was only a software alignment with other compatible models.

3.5x's were in fact updated to version 4.0x's by Garmin with no apparent changes to the hardware?

So yeah the version 2.x's remain 2.x's

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif