I'm new. How to use a GPS?

Guest slday

Guest slday

I just found out about Geocashing and I'm really interested in doing it, however, I'm a little confused about how a GPS works for this activity. I went out to buy a GPS the other day and was talking to the sales guy about how to enter coordinates for the geocache. I was looking at a Garmin eTrex. He said that you can't enter coordinates for the geocache into the unit itself. So how do I do it? How would I find the geocache? Do I need to buy software for my computer to hook to the GPS? Please help!

Thanks,

Scott

I afraid the salesman was wrong. I don't know of any handheld GPS that you can't enter your own waypoints into it. You do not need a PC to enter data although it is faster on a PC. Go to Garmin's web site and download the manual for the model you are interested in and you can read about how to do it. You can also read about the other features of the units you are intrested in.

I would also take a look at Jack and Joe's web site at http://joe.mehaffey.com/ there is a huge amount of information on this web page.

You might also find this page interesting if you are interested in Garmin units. http://celia.mehaffey.com/dale/wgarmin.htm This is a third party uber user manual for Garmin GPS unit in general. There is some interesting things here about Garmin units.

Hope this helped

mcb

Guest Cape Cod Cache

You didn't say what store you went to, but you seem to be in the wrong place for a marine store. A good outdoor / outfitter type store will get you an employee with a clue, because they actually use them. Read the posts here, hit joe mc's page and you will be in pretty good shape.

Then go back to the store and show him how to enter coordinates in simulation mode and tell him he's a moron ! LOL

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by slday:

I was looking at a Garmin eTrex. He said that you can't enter coordinates for the geocache into the unit itself. So how do I do it?

A easy way is to enter a waypoint at your current location and then edit the lat/long coordinates to match those specified for the cache.