Upgrade to gpsmap76s, vista, or platinum????

Adventureguy

Hi all!

Well, I'm sort of at a loss for which unit to choose (the gpsmap76s, etrex vista, or magellan platinum). I'm not just looking to geocache with this gps... I also do a lot of hiking in very remote and heavily wooded wilderness areas (often off trail) and need the gps that would be most reliable under heavy tree cover since it is always nice to be able to quickly find your way out of the wilderness at the end of a trip.

Currently I use a Garmin GPS40... It is about a 1994 vintage single channel receiver, so it is pretty outdated. My unit never locks or holds a lock under more than moderate tree cover, and doesn't work in the woods at all unless I get it locked before I go in (which isn't really an option when I'm ten miles into a wilderness area). Again, I know this unit is quite outdated, and realize that all GPS units prefer a clear sky.

Anyway, I can't seem to pick between the three units I named above. The vista has a price advantage, as well as being very compact and simple to use. The GPS76s seems like it has a better antenna from what I've read, and has a nice interface, although I hear it needs oriented in a certain position to work (what is a quad-helix antenna anyway???). Then there is the Platinum... I've never had a Magellan, and I've heard both good and bad things about them.

So, anyway, which gps do you folks think would best hold a lock under heavy tree cover, and still allow me to both navigate in the wilderness (I like the "sensors") and geocache?

Thanks for the help!!!

-Kevin

From your post, it seems that you already know all about it. Now it's just a question about deciding.

Vista: + Small size - Less sensitive

76S: + Quad helix - Big

Platinum: + Quad helix & memory card - Big & Mapsend not as good as MapSource (I've heard)

A patch antenna (Vista) is two metallic surfaces on top of each other (imagine two stacked stamps).

A quad helix antenna is a cylinder with four antenna elements (two ground + two antenna = quad) interleaved and wound around the cylinder a quarter of a turn.

Look at the bottom of this page and you'll see a good photo of it.

If you look at a Legend, you can almost see the patch antenna through the case, without opening the unit.

A patch antenna should be held flat for best performance, while a quad helix should point towards the sky. To get the best performance of units with a quad helix built in, you have to hold them in an uncomfortable angle.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

From your post, it seems that you already know all about it. Now it's just a question about deciding.

Platinum: + Quad helix & memory card - Big & Mapsend not as good as MapSource (I've heard)

A patch antenna (Vista) is two metallic surfaces on top of each other (imagine two stacked stamps).

A quad helix antenna is a cylinder with four antenna elements (two ground + two antenna = quad) interleaved and wound around the cylinder a quarter of a turn.

Look at the bottom of http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html and you'll see a good photo of it.

If you look at a Legend, you can almost see the patch antenna through the case, without opening the unit.

A patch antenna should be held flat for best performance, while a quad helix should point towards the sky. To get the best performance of units with a quad helix built in, you have to hold them in an uncomfortable angle.

Anders

A GPS-V Answereth All Things! icon_biggrin.gif

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Look at the bottom of http://www.gpsinformation.net/mgoldreview/sportrak-pro-rev.html and you'll see a good photo of it.

Anders

A GPS-V Answereth All Things! icon_biggrin.gif

Firefishe (Stephen Brown)

196939_600.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Adventureguy:

Hi all!

Well, I'm sort of at a loss for which unit to choose (the gpsmap76s, etrex vista, or magellan platinum). I'm not just looking to geocache with this gps... I also do a lot of hiking in very remote and heavily wooded wilderness areas (often off trail) and need the gps that would be most reliable under heavy tree cover since it is always nice to be able to quickly find your way out of the wilderness at the end of a trip.

Currently I use a Garmin GPS40... It is about a 1994 vintage single channel receiver, so it is pretty outdated. My unit never locks or holds a lock under more than moderate tree cover, and doesn't work in the woods at all unless I get it locked before I go in (which isn't really an option when I'm ten miles into a wilderness area). Again, I know this unit is quite outdated, and realize that all GPS units prefer a clear sky.

Anyway, I can't seem to pick between the three units I named above. The vista has a price advantage, as well as being very compact and simple to use. The GPS76s seems like it has a better antenna from what I've read, and has a nice interface, although I hear it needs oriented in a certain position to work (what is a quad-helix antenna anyway???). Then there is the Platinum... I've never had a Magellan, and I've heard both good and bad things about them.

So, anyway, which gps do you folks think would best hold a lock under heavy tree cover, and still allow me to both navigate in the wilderness (I like the "sensors") and geocache?

Thanks for the help!!!

-Kevin

The Garmin Map76 with the Mighty Mouse II external

antenna is the most accurate hiking GPS on the

market today.

quote:
Originally posted by Veritech:

Nickn7,

Just where can I get more info on the Mighty Mouse II external antenna?

I have a map 76S and am looking for a good external antenna.

Thanks,

Veritech

I compared the specs of the MMII & the antenna GPSGEEK sells on ebay and they are virtually identical. My comparison and threads on GPSGEEK & MMII antennas can be found here.

I would highly recommend you look Here on Ebay for GPSGEEK's Auctions.

For even more Geocaching.com discussions on GPSGEEK antennas click HERE.

Good Luck!!!

BTW, I concur w/ the statement of using the 76S w/ the external antenna. I have been in heavy tree cover where accuracy w/o antenna was 40+ft and with the antenna accuracy was <11ft. It also allows you to use the compass w/o worry of orientation of antenna.

"Never have a philosophy which supports a lack of courage..."49061_400.gif

Thanks for the advice everyone...

But, this is sort of interesting (I think). I went to a local store tonight and talked an employee into letting me get a side-by-side comparison of the vista and GPSmap76s. By the time I went there tonight I was already pretty convinced I was going to go with the 76s (mainly because it sounds like it has a stronger receiver and the capability to add an external antenna -- I plan to be in the woods A LOT). So, anyway, I turn both of the receivers on, and the vista gets a lock on our position before the 76s and maintains more sat's throughout our "field test"

I only really got to play with the units for about 5 minutes before the employee was needed inside again... but I can't really figure out why the so-called "weaker" receiver seemed to get a better fix than the "stronger" one. (by the way... I initially held the vista horizontally, and the 76s vertically... as I have read they are intended to be used... but also tried both receivers in a number of positions). I really wish I would have had a chance to try them in the woods!!! I decided I would once again hit the message boards before making a final decision.

So, to you Vista and 76s owners, how well have your receivers worked for you under dense tree cover (have you been able to keep a position at all)???

Thanks for all the help!!!

-Kevin

My Vista, before I got rid of it, always got a great satellite lock in parking lots as well. I didn't have much luck with it in the woods though. The Vista has a lot of really nice features. I'd ask the salesman what their return policy is like, & head to a park with the unit & try it out for yourself, if possible. From the different posts in many threads on the subject,it seams there is no clear cut answer to the satellite lock question. In the woods, I run a MAP76 & have the optional external antenna (gpsgeek,great antenna)& works out real well for me. Don't often need the antenna, but unlike the eTrex series, at least with the MAP76(S) series, you have the option should the need arise. Best way to be sure, is take it for a test drive. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

My Vista, before I got rid of it, always got a great satellite lock in parking lots as well. I didn't have much luck with it in the woods though. The Vista has a lot of really nice features. I'd ask the salesman what their return policy is like, & head to a park with the unit & try it out for yourself, if possible. From the different posts in many threads on the subject,it seams there is no clear cut answer to the satellite lock question. In the woods, I run a MAP76 & have the optional external antenna (gpsgeek,great antenna)& works out real well for me. Don't often need the antenna, but unlike the eTrex series, at least with the MAP76(S) series, you have the option should the need arise. Best way to be sure, is take it for a test drive. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by Adventureguy:

Thanks for the advice everyone...

But, this is sort of interesting (I think). I went to a local store tonight and talked an employee into letting me get a side-by-side comparison of the vista and GPSmap76s. By the time I went there tonight I was already pretty convinced I was going to go with the 76s (mainly because it sounds like it has a stronger receiver and the capability to add an external antenna -- I plan to be in the woods A LOT). So, anyway, I turn both of the receivers on, and the vista gets a lock on our position before the 76s and maintains more sat's throughout our "field test"

It's entirely possible that the 76s hasn't been initilized to your area yet. The initial setup can take 15 minutes or so to download all the almanic data. The vista was probably "Warm" and the 76S was probably "Cold..." On my 76s, I can get a 2D lock after about 30 seconds if the unit is "Kinda Warm"

Did the 76S ever get a 3D lock after 5 minutes? If not, I'd be willing to bet that was the problem...

The 76s that I was trying out did get a 3D lock, and it took about 5 minutes... The Vista got a 3D lock in about one minute, and showed more sats.

Your mention of the one unit being initialized and the other not seems very possible. How do you like your 76s? (Back to the original question, has it performed well under tree cover for you?)

If you are looking for the best possible reception under havy trees and if you are willing to use an external antenna then a great choice is the GPSMap76(s) with the external antenna connector. Tests with a vista and a GPSmap76S showed that vista has a slightly lower reception. With a small external active antenna on top of a back bag we had an outstanding better reception than with the receiver itself. Since our body covers a part of the sky, the place on top of a back bag will increase a good reception even more.

I'm up in the Blue Ridge Mountains of VA, so all I get is trees.. Trees, trees, and more trees. I've only had one time where the unit gave me a bit of trouble and wouldn't give me an accuracy of less than 30 feet.. This cache now has *4* DIFFERENT sets of coordinates for it posted.

Personally, I think the unit rocks!

Well, after months of searching, I decided to go with the 76s (liked the external antenna capability, and quadrifiler antenna). So far I think the unit is great. I even managed to get a fix (5 sats) while sitting in a central bathroom in my house with the door closed... Unusual, yes. But, still, if I'm ever lost in my house, at least I can find my way home. I'm still playing with all the features of this unit... So far the hardest thing to figure out has been the barometer/altimeter. It always seems to show climbs and descents while standing perfectly still. Overall it has been pretty accurate, but this up/down trend throws the total ascent/descent figures way off. I left the unit powered up for most of a weekend, it managed to "ascend 10,000 feet" while sitting perfectly still at 905' MSL. Again, I'm still learning all the features, and I might not be calibrating it properly, so I'll keep everyone posted. So far though, I have no other complaints and love the new unit.