How important is the Postion Averaging function?

Guest Anton

Guest Anton

Greetings,

Here's a question for the GPS techies: With all the discussion about the pros & cons of the latest models, it's come up that many of them don't include the "Position Averaging" function on some of the older, top-selling models, like my Garmin GPS-12MAP unit.

One vendor told me I won't miss Position Averaging because it was only there to work against Selective Availability on the GPS satellites. Now that SA has been turned off, he says, I won't need Position Averaging in a GPS.

Okay, that sounds logical...but is it that simple? Are there still any good reasons to have Position Averaging in a new GPS unit? Can I buy a new GPS that doesn't have Position Averaging, and not miss it?

Thanks for helping.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Moss Trooper

If you have a requirement for averaging and don't need it immediatley, then use one of the software packages. I use GPS Utility ( cos it's British an so am I icon_biggrin.gif)

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

It allows you to select a group of track points from your uploaded track and averages them into a new waypoint. This is how I will be setting my cache location (When we can get out there). Just stick my etrex summit on top of the cache for 15 mins and average that group of track points.

Simple.. icon_smile.gif Never a true word spoken in Jest..!!

Moss T

Guest Moss Trooper

If you have a requirement for averaging and don't need it immediatley, then use one of the software packages. I use GPS Utility ( cos it's British an so am I icon_biggrin.gif)

http://www.gpsu.co.uk/

It allows you to select a group of track points from your uploaded track and averages them into a new waypoint. This is how I will be setting my cache location (When we can get out there). Just stick my etrex summit on top of the cache for 15 mins and average that group of track points.

Simple.. icon_smile.gif Never a true word spoken in Jest..!!

Moss T