Mapsource R&R and Topo conflict

The short version: I have two "MapSource" apps -- a "Roads and Recreation" version (executable version 2.01 -- 1 CD of data) and a "Topo" version (executable version 3.02 -- 3 CDs of data). I cannot seem to get these apps to co-exist. When I install both, the first-installed version subsequently, when run, craps out with an error dialog that tells me to call Garmin. Worthless. It appears that these are out of synch with each other (big surprise!), and they both share the same Registry entry, thus clobbering each other. What great software!

Do you have these apps yourself? If so, have you been able to get them to both work concurrently? If so, what the *^%$@*! do I need to do to get them both working? I'm running a Dell XPS R450 -- a Pentium II tower, 450 MHz, 256MB RAM and Windoze NT4 SP6a.

icon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

I can't test this solution since I only have "R&R" but I'd try just installing the latest version of Mapsource (3.02 from "Topo") and use it with both "R&R" and "Topo" CDs. I think there is a drop down list where you can select the CDs you want to use. You may want to download the Mapsource 4.06 update from Garmin's web site also.

I had problem like you describe. I have R&R, Waterways, and something else (don't remember). I found that everytime I install an another add-on, I have to reload the latest and greatest Mapsource patch or I will get errors and no program load.

Now if I could get it to run without having to load a CD...

---Mikel & ErinsWeb

quote:
Originally posted by Mikel & ErinsWeb:

---Mikel & ErinsWeb

You can. I have both Topo and R+R on my hard drives of both my desktop and my laptop. I operte the programs and data from the hard drive not the CD's. What you do first is to uninstall your Mapsource program. Create a flder on C called let's say Mapsource R+R. Then copy the Mapsource R+R CD into that folder and install the program from the C drive not as you originally did from the CD. Once that's done download the 4.06 upgrade from the Garmin site if you have an earlier version.

Then do the same thing with Topo's 3 CD's. If you don't need the entire country just load the CD's you need. I created a separate folder on my C drive called Topo. Install Topo. (I thin the installation portion is only on the West CD)

Besides not needing te CD's you can open up multiple Mapsorce programs at the same time. You can have topo on one and R+R on the other for the same area and use both to create routes or compare to get the best way to the cache. Both on the screen at the same time. I use horizontal split screen from the bar at the bottom of the windows desktop.

Now you can file the Mapsource CD-Roms for backup as you'll no longer need them.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Mikel & ErinsWeb:

I had problem like you describe. I have R&R, Waterways, and something else (don't remember). I found that everytime I install an another add-on, I have to reload the latest and greatest Mapsource patch or I will get errors and no program load.

---Mikel & ErinsWeb

In the windows registry the path to the map data files are stired in a certain key. If you copy all the files from the CD, in my case the "West" directory of the TOPO CD to the garmin directory, you can point the registry entry to c:garminwest instead of (in my case) d:west

I can post later with the actual keys to edit to do this, I made this change in my settings last Saturday, and it works like a charm.

Robert

Thanks folks!

After reading that it will work off the HD, I decided to go searching through the registry. Sure enough there were the pointers to the cdrom drive. After a few search and replace moves and some copying it works! I thought it was going to be like some of those anoying Delorme products that insist on being in the cdrom drive.

Thanks again!

--- Mikel & ErinsWeb

Howdy;

I'm the guy for who "Team Flibbertigibbits" originally posted for regarding my difficulties with the Garmin MapSource software. My thanks to all who responded, particulary "Alan2", whose message about getting MapSource to work sans the CD-ROMS, a major boon!

I have now managed to get both the "Topo" (v3.0.2) and "Roads and Recreation" (v2.0.1) apps running, as well as upgraded to version 4.0.6. For everyone's edification, here is what I did. Your mileage may vary, and doubtless there are better ways of doing this, but this works fine:

1) On my target HD (H:, a 40 GB MaxStor), I created a subdirectly "Garmin MapSource-Topo". Into this I copied the entire contents of all three topo CDs.

2) I then ran the "setup.exe" from the H: drive subdirectory, and installed the 3.0.2 app that came with the original package into a NEW subdirectory, "Garmin MapSource-Topo-App". Install went fine, and app ran fine when I tested it. I then quit MapSource.

3) I downloaded the 4.0.6 MapSource.exe update and installed this. Again, all is well. During the next steps, I LEFT THIS APP RUNNING.

4) On my target HD (again, Hicon_smile.gif, I created a subdirectly "Garmin MapSource-R+R". Into this I copied the entire contents of the "Roads and Recreation" CD.

5) I ran the "setup.exe" for R+R from the H: drive subdirectory, and installed the 2.0.1 app into a NEW subdirectory, "Garmin MapSource-R+R-App". Everything OK.

6) I ran the 4.0.6 MapSource.exe update on the R+R install and again, all went well. At this point I now have TWO instances of MapSource running. I noticed that, in the last-installed MapSource (R+R), it also listed the "Topo" maps in the dropdown list, where the "Topo" version didn't list the "R+R" maps. This made sense to me, figuring that the data sets are only read on app startup, so....

7) I quit both apps and re-ran them. Now both show both sets of maps. Practically speaking, one of these MapSource installs is now redundant, but I'm not going to mess with success. Done!