GPX files...which program to use?

Faderaven

I did the search...read the logs...but cannot find a definitive answer as to which viewer is the best. Can anyone explain in small words why they use which viewer they do? What are the best features?

I was using MobiPocket...the worst thing about it was that you had to go to another page for the hints.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

Spinner:

More sort options

Clues viewed individually

Spinning and Plucking (using Plucker to create channel for PDA sync) both must be done online and can take awhile using dial-up

gpx2html

Can't sort by distance from origin, but does provide a hot alphabetical index to make finding

a cache easier

Clues are in a list, so you will see other clues, not just the one you want

Generating and Plucking can be done completely offline, and is MUCH faster for dial-up users

As far as file size (for your PDA), I haven't noticed an appreciable difference. My main file with 400 caches is only about 100 kb larger with the Spinner file than it is with the gpx2html file. Also, IMO, BOTH of these options beat MobiPocket hands down.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

In addition to gnbrotz, here's how to do it.

I stumbled across this thread and it's made my Palm very happy.

In a nutshell:

1. Set your Pocket Query to email you waypoints in GPX format.

2. Download GPX2HTML and Plucker and you'll be off to the races.

You can also bookmark GPX Spinner.

Both apps are great, I like GPX2HTML because it runs locally (you don't need to be on the Internet)

GPXSpinner has a great GUI configuration page.

Using GPX and these two apps. (and whatever else might be out there) blows Mobi out of the water.

My Palm III would max out on the memory after a few pages where loaded and it was painfully slow.

Now I have almost the entire state loaded into my Palm with hints and nearest caches available with quick tap of the stylist.

Delete Mobi and go with the Plucker and GPX2HTML or GPXSpinner option.

I'm sure there are other option out there, but honestly these are the first two apps I found and I fell in love with them.

Mobi was like rubbing two sticks together. GPX2HTML and GPXSpinner are like a Bic Lighter.

quote:
Originally posted by gnbrotz:

gpx2html

...Can't sort by distance from origin.....

Actually Greg it does provide that option and from multiple origins at that. You can set it up by creating a file called "reflocation" which then produces a link in index for each one. Very slick!

You can read how to do it here.

I agree, it's got Mobipocket beat hands down.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

Actually Greg it does provide that option and from multiple origins at that. You can set it up by creating a file called "reflocation" which then produces a link in index for each one. Very slick!

You can read how to do it http://home.attbi.com/~fizzymagic/gpx2html.html#UsingExe

I agree, it's got Mobipocket beat hands down.

Cheers, Olar

_"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"_

Thanks for clearing that up Olar! Now my only minor whine is seeing clues to caches that you don't want to; but, since I'm such an excellent cacher, I don't use them often anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

I got the feeling that Plucker picks and chooses content from HTML. Don't you want all the files produced by GPX2HTML after it does it's thing on your .gpx file?

I use Plucker to convert the HTML pages (all of the files that GPX2HTML generate to the HTML folder) to a PDB file. That file installes directly to the Palm.

Plucker is my favorite tool for importing webpages to the Palm. It can be configured in many ways, and doesn't put all the extra propaganda that AvantGo seems to clog your Palm with.

The whole deal is a 4 step process:

1. Run the PocketQuery .gpx file through GPX2HTML.

(Place the gpx file into the root directory of GPX2HTML and double click GPX2HTML.exe)

2. Run plucker on the local index.html file generated by GPX2HTML.

3. Double click or load the .pdb file that plucker produces for syncing to the Palm and Sync the Palm.

4. Load the GPX file into EasyGPS and upload the waypoints to your GPS.

The readme for GPX2HTML gives some helpful tips on using Plucker with the files it generates.

Personally, I set the link depth to 3, set the option not to follow links on other servers and I don't include pictures.

Currently, I have 500 or so NJ and Easter PA caches loaded in my Palm and ready to go. icon_smile.gif

I'd second TeamEckitt's sentiments exactly.

With pocketqueries, GPX2HTML, and Plucker - I've loaded info on the closest 500 caches to my home - have them sorted several different ways (as someone had already mentioned the reflocations file - I just wanted to add that GPX2HTML supports multiple lines in that file - with an index built for each location entered) so you can have a "distance from home" and "distance from work" sort easily.

I'm on a dial-up line most of the time and using Plucker alone (without the pocketqueries and GPX2HTML took several hours to download and parse the information). With the info locally - it only takes a few seconds for GPX2HTML to do it's thing and Plucker takes a minute or two. All set - and nothing to print!

The only recommendation I'd add is to ensure you have a good solid (and even better watertight) case for your palm.

Good luck.

quote:

I'd prefer something I didn't have to alter before I use it.

GPXView is just that. You just get the GPX files onto your PocketPC 2002 based PDA, start GPXView, and you're off.

While I don't have any screen shots, it's pretty intuitive in design. You basically look at a list of the geocaches in the GPX file, click on the one you want, and see the geocache page. The GPX data is presented in columns, each of which can be "sorted" ascending or descending with a tap of the stylus. Columns are Waypoint (GCBLAH), Description ("Engulfed by Whoever"), Distance, Bearing, Date Placed, and a Date Last Logged. The individual cache "pages" have everything you should need, as well as hints being 1 click away.

alex

quote:

got a Pocket PC. An Axim. Crud.

As great as Plucker is, I found that you don't need Plucker on the Pocket PC--I use Pocket Internet Explorer.

It works pretty well, and dang fast too. The big catch so far (there's always a catch) is PocketIE doesn't have a 'Find' function, so you can't search your list for specific waypoints or names.

Dang!

Don't ask me. I'm not from around here...

My vote goes to.

"GPXview" and

MobiPocket Reader.

Others involve uploading and downloading and synching.

Both of the ones I like let you move a single file and go.

Mobi has a "Find" function. Plus you can annotate your cache and take notes on your PDA.

GPX view has some cool sort functions and you can export Pushpin files as well as not deal with the find feature once you have found your initial cache and sorted by what's close. It also tells me the cache size which mobi doesn't seem to do.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by World Traveler:

Anyone find a way of downloading the discriptions for benchmarks into a Palm? Currently I'm copying them into a word document and then uploading them that way - PAIN IN THE A$$. Any other ideas?

You can use GeoClipping to clip each benchmark page into it's own memo. The only limit is the 4k limit imposed on individual memos by the Palm OS. This would only be a problem if you have one with an EXTREMELY long description, and/or several logs already posted to that particular page.

Another way to grab a large amount of data at once is to create a Plucker (or Avantgo) channel and synch it to a "nearest benchmarks" page (use the origin of your choice). If you set it to a level of 2, it will grab the underlying pages. It's not formatted very nicely; but, it does get a bunch of marks in a short time.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

quote:

I can't use Plucker. got a Pocket PC. An Axim. Crud.

You should still be OK. Just copy the HTML directory gpx2html creates to your Pocket PC and view the pages with Pocket Internet Explorer. It should work fine.

And thank you, everyone, for all the nice words. It's gratifying to see others getting value from something I created!

I have religiously used Mobipocket in the past but have been impressed with some of the extras gpx2html gives me (closest caches to this cache, direct link to hints) but have found the same limitation. Anyone find a way around this?

quote:
Originally posted by ego:

PocketIE doesn't have a 'Find' function, so you can't search your list for specific waypoints or names.

Dang!

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Finally got Plucker/GPX2HTML working. For some reason, every time I installed Plucker, I had a huge problem. It put one of my wife's emails (the whole thing) in the .INI file. Tried editing it out, but it still didn't work.

So, I renamed it and it started the configuration again when relaunched. Everything's fine now.

How very odd...

Thing I just learned: GPX2HTML is case sensitive, so if you don't have the file spelled RefLocations.txt it won't work.

Also, what do I need to do for automatic Hint decoding? The "Hint" link in the Plucker file doesn't link to anything, yet the Hints.html file is definitely generated. My maximum depth is set to "2".

[This message was edited by CreagerStone Family on February 26, 2003 at 09:09 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team Ekitt10:

Mobi was like rubbing two sticks together. GPX2HTML and GPXSpinner are like a Bic Lighter.

ROFL While re-creating my watched threads list, I just found this thread. I love that comparison. I think that now with the recent release of the stand-alone GPX Spinner 2, that it is more like a welding torch. I'd love to hear what other features you would like so that it move towards "flame-thrower" status.

Lil Devil lildevil.gif

HELP PLEASE--I'm totally confused now. Which program is the better way to go? Do I need to use Plucker/gpx2html or GPXView to put the GPX files into my Sony SJ22 PDA. I have all 3 programs on my laptop, but don't know how to use any of them. I'm out here in Wa. on vacation from St.Louis and sure would like to get the PDX files into my PDA. Thanks Bernie

Bernie

quote:
Originally posted by Happykraut:

HELP PLEASE--I'm totally confused now. Which program is the better way to go? Do I need to use Plucker/gpx2html or GPXView to put the GPX files into my Sony SJ22 PDA. I have all 3 programs on my laptop, but don't know how to use any of them. I'm out here in Wa. on vacation from St.Louis and sure would like to get the PDX files into my PDA. Thanks Bernie

Bernie

Misguided One and I both use GPX Spinner and Plucker. I have a Handspring Visor, he has a Sony Clie'. If you are running PalmOS I would go with Spinner. It's quick and easy to configure to your liking. Plucker works just like a normal browser on your handheld.

One time I spun 4 PQ's at one time. Wound up with a total of 1700 cache pages in one file. Don't try this at home!!!! It took plucker about 3 hours to convert the output. Plucker gets a little bottlenecked with that much info. I normally spin two PQ's together and get around 900 caches pages, that is no problem for plucker at all.

smile02.gif We're all here, because we're not 'all there'.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Happykraut:

HELP PLEASE--...Which program is the better way to go? Do I need to use Plucker/gpx2html or GPXView to put the GPX files into my Sony SJ22 PDA.

Unfortunately, you don't have a choice. GPXView is a PocketPC app, so you have to use Plucker on the Sony.

If you take the PQ's and run them thru *either* GPX Spinner or gpx2html, a set of .html files will be created that can then be imported to the Sony and read by 'Plucker'.

Plucker is, for all intents and purposes, the same as using Netscape or Internet Explorer on your desktop machine. GPXSpinner and/or gpx2html just create the files for Plucker to 'read'.

-=BottomFeeder=-

Good thread. I was going to start a similar topic.

I use GPX Spinner to make the html files, a filtered gpx file and a Street Atlas lat/lon file.

I upload the gpx file to my GPS with EasyGPS.

I print a Street Atlas map of the area I want to hunt.

I convert the html to iSilo with iSilox.

I like iSilo better than the version of Plucker I used for several reasons. With iSilo you can copy all or parts of a cache page to the clipboard and then paste to a note. I then do multi's with calculations right on my palm. Plucker doesn't do tables yet. I couldn't get Plucker to do preformatted text so chart columns don't line up. Plucker wraps long lines instead of scolling horizontally.

iSilo can read the doc file from my Tungten SD card so I upload the doc using a USB 2.0 card reader. 2.0 USB is incredibly fast.

iSilo isn't free. I gladly paid for it, though.

quote:
Originally posted by radcanhig:

Can't find gpx2html. everthing just goes to a broken link. Can anyone help?

It was hosted on an attbi.com site, which just rolled over to comcast.net. The link forwards me to the new comcast site, but there doesn't seem to be any content (yet).

You can e-mail fizzymagic (who created gpx2html) thru geocaching.com here.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

This was a very informative thread. My questiion is...within the past 2-3months there has been a number of upgrades to the programs mentioned here. I was wondering of the experienced and knowledged ones here have a update to their opinions and use comppinations.

I use spinner exclusively for pocket queries. If you take some time and learn a little about it, it's really easy to mold the output files to the way you want them to look. I compile them into iSilo files which isn't required, but does save some space and makes it one file vs. 1000+ I spin and compile 1000+ caches in under 10 minutes usually.

www.gpxspinner.com

I use Watcher for sorting and sifting through caches in my queries on my PC. GREAT program, nearly unlimited ability to sort, save, merge, etc.

www.clayjar.com

And I use mapopolis for my mapping and Auto routing. Another thing I can't live without.

www.mapopolis.com

Everyone should have a copy of GPS Babel around too. Never know when you'll want that GPX file in Streets & Trips format... or mapsource format... or pretty much any other format.

gpsbabel.sourceforge.net

I also keep EasyGPS handy to upload my waypoints.

www.easygps.com

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

I managed to install Plucker and even to get a web page on my Sony Clie'.

However my limits were only for 1 page. When I move to 2 pages for any website, it looks like it will take a looooooooong time to download into the Plucker desktop.

Is there any way to make this a shorter process?

Downloading only 1 page deep doesn't allow for any links.

As a premium member, I do custom queries, then use Cachemate ($7 shareware) to convert to palm-readable format and import to the Palm IIIxe. I did some travelling last weekend 200 miles north and it was a very efficient way to change my mind along the way (the sort by closest is pretty nice). Even with 800+ waypoints in Cachemate, performance was fine.

Nice thing about Cachemate is the ability to compose your log 'on' your Palm PDA, then recategorize the cache to 'found' there, so keeping track of what you did is pretty easy. Nice software.

Right now it's a tossup between GPXSpinner and GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife), but the scales might tilt toward GSAK if it comes out of beta. The beta version 5 gives almost the identical output Spinner does, but with more control. If it gave me the ability to upload the waypoints to my GPS, I would have an all-in-one (almost) program. Right now I'm using EasyGPS to put the waypoints into the GPS. Plucker is the best way to read html files by far, plus it does other things. I tried Cachemate, but the demo only loads 10 caches, and none of them were caches I intended to try for now, since they were mostly the furthest I had requested for some reason. With the 10 cache limit, I just deleted it, since I couldn't effectively do an evaluation, and if I can't test it, I don't buy it.

My vote is for GPSView as well. I love it. No muss. No fuss.

Simply download the GPX file to your PPC and open it.

And the reports pretty much look exactly like the ones on geocaching.com so it has a very familiar look and feel about it.

Oh...., and hints are listed right after the cache description on the first page (translated of course).

But you can turn this off in the preferences if you prefer not to have them in your face.

You can also set your home coordinates via preferences so you can sort the caches by distance.

All in all a great little program that does exactly what I need. About all I could ask for is the ability to change a report's icon so I can indicate which ones I've found or to flag (or even delete) those caches I've decided not to find.

update: Ooops! I just read further down the thread and realize you can't use it. Sorry.

Edited by jollybgood