Question about GPS 315 "track" and "route"

Guest Rubbertoe

Guest Rubbertoe

I've been playing with ExpertGPS and some other waypoint management software, and I've noticed that you can plan a route as either a track or a route.

Now, I know the 315 has a limit of like 20 or 30 waypoints per route... but what limits does the track have?

I'm assuming when they say you can upload a preplanned route as a "track" that it means it will show up as a plotted track, just as if you had just travelled it. So, what I'm wondering, how many "waypoints" can be in each track?

I'd think it'd be a ton, since every twist and turn you make is recorded on the plotter - and each of those changes in direction would have to have some sort of indicating marker.

So, anyone know if there is a limit on track length? By either time or distance or amount of turns or anything.

Any info is appreciated.

Toe.

Guest topografix

The number of track points varies with each GPS model, but you should be able to send 1000-2000 track points to your GPS.

I use this feature to send complete trail maps to my GPS. I trace out trails on the topo maps in ExpertGPS, and then send them to my eTrex Venture, which can hold and display 10 tracks at a time.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Maps, and Waypoints

http://www.topografix.com