Your choice of GPS?

fivegallon

I think you will find that there are a lot of good choices out there. However, I recommend that you get one of the Garmins. They seem to be THE manufacturer that most people like. Some shops around here allow you to "check out" their display model for the day (deposit required icon_wink.gif). When you narrow it down, you may want to ask about this where you shop.

Cheers,

Northern Trekker

I will stick with Magellan. On several occasions I would be right on the cache when a Garmin owner was ending up 30-60 feet away.

On the flip side, customer support from Magellan is not stellar but sufficient for my needs.

"the future is no place to place your better days"- dmb

Only for Geocaching: Garmin eTrex Summit because it is the most basic unit with an electronic compass.

However, since a serial cable cost around $20 and doesn't come with the Summit, I'd go with an eTrex Vista since it is only $44 more not counting the $20 you'd save on the cable (which does come with the Vista)

Garmin eTrex Vista, Legend, and GPSmap 162 with Bluecharts/Fishing Hotspots/POI/Road & Rec

Ducks - flying geocaches of meat

quote:
Originally posted by fivegallon:

If you were looking to purchase a new unit to be used ONLY for Geocaching,what one would you pick and why?

Vista. There are Magellans with comparable features, but I don't want to be carrying a brick around while geocaching. icon_wink.gif

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Vista. There are Magellans with comparable features, but I don't want to be carrying a brick around while geocaching. icon_wink.gif

And some of us want a GPSr with an antenna good enough to handle a few leaves over heads. icon_wink.gif

For Garmins I have only had the basic eTrex. I have had no trouble with this unit at all, but I have seen reports about poor reception under heavy foliage due to the small patch antenna. I did notice reception problems on occasion when in a treed valley, but I do not have enough direct comparison experience to make a definitive personal observation.

I recently upgraded to a Magellan Meridian Gold (Brick). icon_smile.gif The built in mapping is nice, but certainly not necessary for geocaching. I have never found the lack of an electronic compass a really big problem (especially considering the price difference), I would say I could save a couple minutes at best on a cache if I had one. WAAS is also nice if you can get a signal as it should get you a little closer, more so if placed with WAAS as well, but this is really a bonus not a necessity. YMMV.

I still have both GPSr units, and they both have a place. If I go out with the intent of caching then the MeriGold is the one I bring. The eTrex is small enough that I can have it available (along with cache info on my PDA) for spur of the moment caching even when packing fairly light. Of course if it is warm enough I am wearing my Scott eVest so I have plenty of room for all my toys (including the MeriGold) anyways.

I also have a CF GPSr for my PDA, but I don't consider this a geocaching unit as it has pretty much no environmental resistance. It can be nice for finding where to park and how to get to the cache because it allows a better assortment of maps to be used.

Absolute minimum for me is one that is waterproof, can be connected to a PC, and of course has a 12 channel parallel receiver (pretty much anything new has this now). Basically if money was the bigest concern I would recommend a basic eTrex. Doesn't sound like this is the case, so here are the options I would add (in order of personal preference):

- Mapping* (nice to see roughly where the cache is and helps a lot in finding where to park).

- WAAS (less error is always better).

- Electronic Compass (saves having to figure out which way is north when doing the final approach by walking a few feet, using the sun direction, or breaking out the magnetic compass).

- Size (not a big deal to me, as long as it is not more than about 1" thick so it goes in a pocket ok). Just keep in mind that some smaller units may have reception problems. A bigger unit also usually gives you a bigger screen.

* - Mapping only tops the list if good maps are available for the area you usually cache, otherwise it is pretty useless I think.

You might also want to look here:

http://gpsinformation.net

http://gpsinformation.net/main/gpshiking.htm

Thanks for all the feedback so far.Interesting comments and preferences.

Boromir;glad you mentioned about antennae,i'm just searching the forums at the moment looking for comparisons.

Thanks once again for your input.

For the record;i have a Magellan map330,but am looking at possibly an Etrex Vista(mainly due to the size factor)

The Vista is good - some great features, and it's light and comfortable. It's only major drawback, from what I've found, is that the antenna isn't nearly as good as the quad-helix you'll find on most Magellans.

I also have a Magellan SporTrak Map - another great unit, although without some of the features that the Vista has. Reception is much better in any sort of canopy, and it acquires WAAS corrections faster which gives you better accuracy faster. Maps are better than what Garmin has to offer, at least for Canada - for the USA, they're probably all really good.

If only there was a unit like the Vista with a better antenna.... hey wait! There is! It's the Garmin GPSMap76S, which has all the features of the Vista and more. It's my next unit.

Getting a GPS "just for caching" is reasonable, but eventually you may want to use it for more complex applications.

Good question, and it is an unusual "feature". I've read negative comments as a result, but to me it doesn't matter. It's the first GPS I've actually owned, so I wasn't used to some other configuration. One comment I remember reading specifically was that someone had smaller hands that couldn't reach the buttons comfortably.

You should be able to find a MAP76 or a MAP76S somewhere to try for yourself.

The advatages of the buttons easily outweigh any disadvantage, at least to me. The buttons are on the front and clearly labeled, they aren't "squooshy", and the unit can be set to beep every time a button is pressed.

Best Wishes,

Bob