"maps" on non-mapping gps receivers

Looking at a Garmin 76 (non-mapping) receiver it is mentioned that it has a basemap which appears to provide very little useful information and that you can download "points of interest" from a Mapsource CD. The examples of these points of interest on the Mapsource website don't appear to be real helpful as maps either especially for $50+. I am really not interested in maps for this 76 but I wanted to take advantage of any feature of this model. Is my evaluation accurate or am I not looking at something correctly? Also can waypoints from a computer be downloaded into a non-mapping unit like the 76?

It does not have a basemap nor can any maps be uploaded to it. It comes pre-loaded with points of interest data including worldwide cities, and nautical navigation aids such as lights, buoys, sound signals and day beacons. You can also upload other points of interest from their Mapsource cd's. It does have a "map" page that will show your waypoints and the points of interest but no roads or land/water features. Yes, you can upload/download waypoints, tracks, and routes with your computer.