The ultimate geocaching GPS.

mcb

Check this out geocachers. A GPS that will allows loading of USGS topo maps into them. It also has a 320X240 color display, floats, built in compass, and SD memory expansion ability. It look like they did their research. They evey mention Geocaching in their brochure.

http://www.navitrak.com/handheld.html

I got to have one of these. icon_smile.gif Supposedly if you order it before March 31 you may be able to get a 50% discount. I got an email from TopoZone about it and am definilty look into this.

Anyone want to buy a Garmin GPSMAP 76 icon_biggrin.gif

later

mcb

I found a little later that it looks like the early units are going to go for a wooping $625. That at the 50% off. Man!!!. Little out of my price range. I guess I will just have to wait until later. My girlfriend with two rings will kill me if I spend that much on a GPS.

mcb

Yah the screen is a more like the viewer in a video camera. Not the best for driving but made to be rugged for backwood navigation and visable in any light. I just wish it was a little cheaper. The fact that it uses SD memory and can be loaded with USGS topo data. I talk to someone from Navitrak today and they were pretty nice. I guess I will just have to wait and pick one up used latter.

mcb

Those who really want USGS topo maps in their GPS should look at what National Geographic Maps offers with their TopoSync software. With it installed, any GPS/PDA combo can download their USGS map data (24k, 100k and 500k) and view their progress. You can also annotate the maps with symbols, lines and images. Go to www.topo.com for more info.

I talked to a person from Navitrak yesterday. She was very nice and told me that the unit can also use USGS 1:24,000 quad data. This is some of, if not the best, topo data out there. They are throwing a CD full of the 1:24,000 data for free if you order before the end of this month. SO if you order by 3/31 you get the unit for 50% off and the good topo data. Its still $625 even at the 50% off. It would suck in a car but for backwoods navigation I think it would be the best. Because of the way I use my GPS the viewer instead of a screen would be perfect. You could hold it up to your eye see on the map where you are and then use the onboard compass to turn you whole body to face the correct direction. One eye looking at the GPS the other looking for a land mark ahead to walk to. Put the GPS away and start hiking. This is basicly the way I do it now so I really like the idea of the layout of the unit.

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote

Is the screen ... like an eye piece where you look into it and can see the display or is it like the mini screen on my Sony DSC-P5 where it's hard to see detail? If it was like a video camera viewer ... that would be great ... although it might take some getting use to. I am a little gun shy of ordering something that has not been produced before ... I think ... maybe that second or third production run would be better. Would also give you a chance to let others do all the product testing and debugging of their customer service icon_biggrin.gif

348_1002.gif

No there are only two keys and a four direction rocker. I was looking through the quick reference manual for the unit and it seem to be a very windows like interface with pull down menues and such. Personally I like the camcorder type eye peice. You don't have to worry as much about scratches and you get color screen with out eating batteries for a large PDA type color screen.

It definitly isn't going to be the GPS you want for driving, but if I was going to be doing alot of backwood hiking, camping, hunting, geocaching then this unit would be great. If it is truly built to Military specs as far as ruggedness and water proofness then that should be one tuff unit. Definitly not the jack of all trade that my GPSMAP 76 is but I definitly would love to give one a spin in the woods.

later

mcb

gpsyote.jpg

GPS-Yote