Rino 120

its shaped funny in the back cause it takes 3 aa batteries 2 laying flat and one on top in between the two. Its not really that akward to hold onto or to use.I have the rino 110 (first gps) and so far im happy with it even though I may not know much about them.

I have the Rino 120 and love it...it works great for me. The weird shape in the back fits nice in the palm of my hand.

However, I haven't been able to link up with another local Rino user to test thr P-t-P. icon_smile.gif

One thing that bothers me about it is that GArmin came up with a "new" plug. It is like the traditional 4 pin round style, howevr only about half the size....so I cannot connect it to my iPaq PDA yet. still trying to get a custom cable made...

all in all it is great

NewBe1

Kristoffer J Buquet

NewBe1@dcwifi.net

I have the Rino 120 -- yes it does have an odd-shaped back. As the last reply said, it's because it has three AA batteries back there. I don't have any trouble holding it at all. I think the shape fits rather nicely in the had. The 'bulge' sort of cups right into your palm. I love mine!

quote:
Originally posted by OuttaHand:

I have the Rino 120 -- yes it does have an odd-shaped back. As the last reply said, it's because it has three AA batteries back there. I don't have any trouble holding it at all. I think the shape fits rather nicely in the had. The 'bulge' sort of cups right into your palm. I love mine!

Ditto the above! Shape is well designed!

I have had mine now for about 4 weeks. I havent had a single problem with mine. If you decide to pick one up make sure you update to the latest firm wear. It fixed all the little issues I have seen. BTW I hear you get the most fun out of it when you have another rino near bye. All I have talked to are the little talkabouts.

One big PS: If you buy online stay away from TeamGPS.com

But I'd mention that the screw in post on the back can work loose - so be careful.

I had mine unscrew and dumped my Rino in the snow for 24 hours until I found it the next day (fortunately!). I had the beltclip still holding the little round post - but without a Rino attached! icon_redface.gif I now have a lanyard attached to it as well that hangs off a beltloop.

The only suggestion (I've already made via email to Garmin) is that they should update the firmware to allow the retention of GPS and radio settings during poweroff/poweron cycles (ie. if you turn it off with the radio off - the radio remains off when you turn it back on).

I normally keep the radio off while geocaching (to save batteries) and just have to remember to turn it off manually each time I turn it on. Small problem in an otherwise terrific product!

Originally posted by HartClimbs:

But I'd mention that the screw in post on the back can work loose - so be careful.

This also happend to me very scary to look down and only have a clip on your belt. Other than that I also noticed they seem to crack around the post for the beltclip both my 110 and 120 have cracks in the plastic around the post. I for one will not use the belt clip anymore because of the cracks and the loss of one of the units. The mapping works great on the 120 if I had to own just one unit it would be the 120 it is so worth the extra money to get the map feature and the data cable. I got the 110 as a second unit and it is a great unit also it does not map at all but is a great second unit the p to p is really awesome and the ability to send waypoints between units is great and works great all in all I love the both of them and am very happy!

I've had my 120 since December, and still love it. Unforunately, I've had the same experience with the belt clip post loosing itself. Plus, the unit powers itself off if you happen to give it a decent drop, maybe with a ricochet off a hard surface (the coffee table work perfect for this test). From previous discussions, this turns out to be the 3rd battery being jarred, and some have solved it with simply taping the battery in.

Personally, I feel these quirks do not lessen my feelings for the unit. I would happily recommend this unit to anyone, and encourage them to choose the 120 over the 110, if they plan on doing any uploading/downloading to the unit, and are an avid GPS user (plotting routes, extensive waypoints, etc.)

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

Can anyone else get their fingers into the battery compartment latch and remove the cover with the belt clip(the piece that comes unscrewed) installed,I have to remove the post to get the batteries changed. And I had the post fall out also, before I even left the house, so I never intended to use the belt clip, and I did think of loctight, But every time I change the batteries,,,I dont think so.

Ok...I read this a few times....

quote:
Can anyone else get their fingers into the battery compartment latch and remove the cover with the belt clip(the piece that comes unscrewed) installed,I have to remove the post to get the batteries changed.

Yes, I can if I remove the belt clip attachment from the post. Else, it's rather difficult to turn the D-ring on the battery compartment. icon_cool.gif

"To see a world in a grain of sand, And a heaven in a wild flower....." William Blake

quote:
Originally posted by Montana Latitude:

Can anyone else get their fingers into the battery compartment latch and remove the cover with the belt clip(the piece that comes unscrewed) installed,I have to remove the post to get the batteries changed. And I had the post fall out also, before I even left the house, so I never intended to use the belt clip, and I did think of loctight, But every time I change the batteries,,,I dont think so.

I must be all thumbs, since I need to remove the post as well to change the batteries. I *do* use the belt clip (it's a good way to carry the Rino) but I just put a small rubber 'washer' on the post and viola - stays put but can still be easily unscrewed.

Good luck!

I bought a pair of Motorola T6400WX GMRS radio a while back and have already obtained my GMRS license. One thing I've learned about GMRS since is that many products that are listed as "FRS/GMRS" are really only GMRS (which happens to share channels 1-7 with FRS, but still requires a GMRS license as you're transmitting with greater than .5 watt with this units that always transmit with GMRS).

It appears the RINO product line truely supports FRS or GMRS (I believe FRS channels 8-14 do not overlap with GMRS, and what are GMRS 8-14 on my T6400WX's are called 15-22 on the RINO's).

What I'm hoping to find out is if I have it set to channel 2, which is shared by FRS and GMRS, I know that the PtP info will be sent via FRS (FCC requires this), but will I transmit voice via GMRS (basically higher wattage)?

Or does it simply not support GMRS trasmissions for channels 1-7? So if I have to use channels 15-22 for GMRS to transmit over a larger range for voice, do I lose PtP altogether, or can the RINO use two channels at once, FRS for PtP and GMRS for voice?

(PtP = Peer to Peer GPS location transmission over FRS channels, not to be confused with PTT = Push To Talk which is your voice transmit button).

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:
Originally posted by Montana Latitude:

Try using your left hand to open and your right hand to close. Works great for me.

If you allow the belt clip stud to back out, I would expect that the increased leverage and decreased interface surface may induce cracks in the case.

As to the washer idea - I think this also may risk the possibility of increasing the leverage on the clip stud to levels beyond design limitations. Use the blue loctite (sparingly), and you should have no further problems.

I had a close call today. I've not experienced the post loosening, but today I had the D-ring unlatch. My Rino 120 was hung from its lanyard - the lanyard connected to the D-ring (battery latch) as recommended by Garmin. It was hanging from my pack, attached with a carabiner, swaying as I walked along. Suddenly all that remained connected was the battery case back - the rest clattered to the ground. Fortunately no loss and no breakage, but I'm now connecting the lanyard to the rubber between the antennas, rather than to the D-ring.

quote:
Originally posted by Goodguys:

I had a close call today. I've not experienced the post loosening, but today I had the D-ring unlatch. My Rino 120 was hung from its lanyard - the lanyard connected to the D-ring (battery latch) as recommended by Garmin. It was hanging from my pack, attached with a carabiner, swaying as I walked along. Suddenly all that remained connected was the battery case back - the rest clattered to the ground. Fortunately no loss and no breakage, but I'm now connecting the lanyard to the rubber between the antennas, rather than to the D-ring.

...and that is my biggest complaint against Garmin. Why in the world they would suggest using the battery comp latch for a lanyard anchor is beyond me. I can only guess that they do it to cover up an oversight on their part.

My suggestion - if you feel like you need backup security - is to use the belt clip, and run the lanyard through the antennea as backup. Personally, I have had no problem just putting the unit in a shirt pocket (face in), backpack pocket, or fannypack. We're gonna try some of those radio holsters that strap to your chest in the near future, though.

BTW - we are now using the FRS feature with a headset for communication while trail riding. I carry the Rino (usually in fannypack) while other riders carry Motorola T6250's. This is one of the reasons I chose the Rino. It's a great setup this way. Since I am a more experienced rider than the rest of the family, I can run ahead, stop to check position - and I'm never out of contact with the rest of the group. And if I went the wrong way, I can tell them not to follow!!!

It's nice to be able to do this without packing another radio.

The obvious question might be "why didn't I get Rinos for everyone"? The obvious answer is - money. As more money becomes available, the Motorolas will be replaced with Rinos.

BTW - for general use, I am now operating with the "battery saver" feature. You'll find it in the main menu under "settings". No WAAS in this mode, and fewer sats - but it's good enough for most everything...usually. Haven't operated this way enough to get a feel for average battery life in this mode, but full power with WAAS wasn't bad at all either - about 15-20hrs.

Oh yeah - the shape....

It fits my hands just fine.

I have also found the shape to be useful when riding in a car without benifit of the windshield mount. I just set it on the dash at the base of the windshield (GPS antenna up), and it naturally sets at about a 45° angle (with the screen rotated at 90°, of course). Works pretty good, if (like me) you can read things sideways. Watch those hard corners, though...

I have had my rino for about 3 months. It is my 3rd GPS unit and works as well as the other garmins if not better.

Here are some points that I have picked up from this forum and groups.yahoo.com garmin-rino

1. Drop it- it shuts off, send it in for the recall. Or at least call for the recall (they call it a service bulletin). They will fix this with some padding

2. Radio isnt great - send it in still. Another recall for this.

3. My rino 110 isnt as accurate as my 120.. I get no "D" locks on the 110 whereas the 120 gets several up to 8 at my last count.

4. I found a cell phone mount for $10 at Target that works great for my Rinos. It is magnetic and you can also use the belt clip on this mount. It is a windsheild mount.

http://ubbx.Groundspeak.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=5726007311&f=7116058331&m=5346032&r=2446032#2446032

pics are gone for some reason icon_frown.gif

But thats my 2cents... There is always someone waiting to disagree - George? you there?

I've had my Rino 120 for about two months. The new Rino works at least as well as the GPS 12XL that I have had for several years. I've had no problem with the radio when talking to a Bellsouth GMRS unit that my wife carries when hiking. It is a tough GPSr unit despite the minor problems that others have described. I bought the bash guard and lanyard kit. The orange bash guard has already come in handy for me. My 120 is carried in a pommel bag when I am horseback riding. While handgalloping along the trail one day I noticed that it had come out of the pouch where it was stored. I backtracked along the trail and found it pretty quickly. It was in the weeds at the side of the trail but was easy to see because of the bashguard color. The unit was on and appeared undamaged even though it had to have bounced to get to the spot where I found it. I was relieved that I found it and very impressed that it was unharmed.

While I like my Rino 120 a lot I am not very impressed with the Mapsource Topo that I bought. It works ok but the data is very old. For example some major highways that were built in the early 1980's are not included on the maps.

MityDave

Congratulations. That is so cool. Since I already have a Rino, And may be called a Rino Enthusiast, Maybe I could win a pair of BMW Motorcycles. Wouldn't that be nice.

But Now I have a feeling you will become Geocaching Enthusiasts. Come back and let us know how you first geocache find goes.

Night Hunter

usacoolflag.gif

I, Madam, I made radio!! So I dared!! Am I mad?? AM I????

Hello all, I'm new to geocaching, so no experience with GPS units yet. I live in Germany and the Rinos are unknown here. I wouldn't mind ordering from USA. Can anyone think of good reasons why that should be a bad idea? As far as I understand I can upload european maps via pc?

thanks a lot

Zorki

quote:
Originally posted by Alpinehoy:

lanyard probs. easy fix. put the lanyard in the hole between the 2 antennas. works great.

Ah ha!!!! Finally found out where to put the lanyard. Take the back of it off. Look at the bottom. There are 2 little holes. Take the small loop on the lanyard, place it down through and up the other way. Then put the big loop through it. Viola!!! It works.

There are TWO MAJOR problems with the Rhino 120 despite all the Gamin love shown onb this site (read: allot of Garmin marketing...).

1. Shame on Garmin for not offering a rechargable battery pack for this unit. It should come with a LIon battery pack which would be half the weight of 3 AA's, last twice as long, and best of all you would not have a TRIANGULAR shapped radio/GPS. "Fits in your hand.." Yeah, but unforetunetly, you need two hands to hold it up cause it weighs about 5 pounds!!

2. Did I mention there's not rechargable option without taking off a clumbsy cover and inserting new batteries? Geeeeesshhh!!!

Don't get me wrong, I love the radio but don't all sit here and stroke the company because they made a decent radio. They should be making a GREAT radio.

Regards,

Birdman

Birdman makes a good point about the need for rechargeable batteries. It would also be nice to have a recharge cradle to put the unit in while recharging...if Garmin had equipped the unit with a recharge option. icon_wink.gif

We've had our two 120's for about 4 months. We had to tighten up the mounting post because right out of the box it was loose. I can imagine losing it easily if this isn't done. We both like the shape of the units, as they do seem to fit our hands better than a flat unit would.

I wish the screens had better visibility in bright sunlight. I also wish the resolution of the screens was better.

I bought my son, who is joining the Army, a 120 for a graduation/enlisting/christmas/way-to-go gift. His first words were "can I change that goofy cartoon character?" I had the same thoughts as well, but can't find a way to do it.

As someone else mentioned, I would like to be able to have all of my preferences saved when I power the unit off. Waypoints, etc, are saved, but not the other stuff like whether the radio will be on by default or not.

I found a great URL for details on the unit here: gpsinformation.net

All in all, I would heartily recommend the 120!

123086_200.jpg

Have a RINO 110 and a 120. Peer to peer positioning works well. These two units do not autopoll (but I thing two 120's will). Strongly suggest getting the topo maps uploaded, as they help significantly in geocache locating. We walked around a lake in Oregon and was able to track the other Rino against the lake with no problem. You can adjust the contrast of the screen to be more visible in differing lighting conditions. Bought a cigarette lighter power cord, and find it charges rechargeable batteries when it is hooked up. At trail heads you can log in that you have a RINO and log the channel/code you are using in case people have to go looking for you... not only can they talk to you.. they can see where you are!!

I love this little system and want to get another 120.

quote:
Originally posted by pavlos xorofas:

Have a RINO 110 and a 120. Peer to peer positioning works well. These two units do not autopoll....

While I've never tried it between a 110 & a 120 (I have 2 Rino 120s.), I believe they can poll each other with the latest software version.

quote:

...Bought a cigarette lighter power cord, and find it charges rechargeable batteries when it is hooked up....

Are you sure??? There is nothing in the Rinos to tell the difference between non chargable batteries and chargeable ones. If voltage is truly applied to the batteries, it could cause non rechargeable batteries to leak or explode.

I have the lighter adapter for my Rino, and I can guarantee that it doesn't charge the batteries. Your Rino won't use the batteries while plugged in to the 12V adapter, but it won't charge them either.

It's the Diodes man, they're ALL wrong!

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd-K7PKT and CheleBell-XYL)

quote:
Originally posted by Alpinehoy:

lanyard probs. easy fix. put the lanyard in the hole between the 2 antennas. works great.

I did this as well since it seemed like a clear answer - but learned that it's not always a reliable anchor.

After having the Rino come off the mount on my motorcycle (and thankfully having put a safety lanyard through that hole), I noticed the rubber antenna appeared to be separating a bit from the top of the unit.

Called Garmin to ask how to best fix this - turns out, that rubber "cap" pulls right off the unit. Takes a little bit of pull, but you shouldn't rely on that "loop" to keep hold of the unit (you might just find a rubber antenna on your lanyard without much else).

The rubber 'cap' is just held in by friction. It's pretty tight - but can certainly get yanked lose.

Of course, I still use that hole to anchor (it's soooo convenient), but put a dab of glue on both ends of the cap to keep it in place.

Hope this is a helpful tip.

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

quote:
Originally posted by pavlos xorofas:

Hi - the 120 indeed is programmable between rechargeable and non-rechargeable batteries. Go to main menu, then setup. You will see it!

I believe that setting (rechargable/non-rechargeable) only affects the battery meter (which shows how much battery life is left). It has nothing to do with charginge batteries in place.

Since the discharge characteristics are different for rechargables vs. alkalines, this setting helps you tell how much juice you have left - that's it.

I agree - that would have been a nice feature addition (being able to charge the batteries in place).

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Take everything you like seriously, except yourselves. - Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)

I used to have a Rhino 120. The radio and GPSr idea is neat, but as many have mentioned it has it's problems. One problem that I had (another user here has reported the same problem trying to find the same cache) is the unit can lock up in the presence of strong RF (see my cache find at Grand Central Station by LAX airport). The unit is as useful as a brick. You literally have to yank out the batteries and re-insert them before it will reboot!

----

Chivalry:

A couple of medieval songwriters come up with the idea of chivalry one rainy day... and you embrace it as a lifestyle. You live and die by a code of honor that was trendy when you were a kid.

I have a Rino 120, and I have taken it to the top of the local hill used by many different types of broadcasters. I think any stronger RF and not only SHOULD the Rino have locked up, but I would have been sterlized. While I hope I have not been sterlized, I can tell you that my Rino kept on working as I walked in around and under several dozen active broadcast antenna.

"It's a dull mind that spells a word one way"