GPS V and extremely Slow Autorouting

Hello all,

I have a few questions for anyone who might know the answers. I have a GPS V with autorouting selected with the Fastest Route option selected as well. I have been having some problems with the length of time it takes for the unit to recalculate when I have gone "off route" (according to the uunit, but that is another story all together). Most of this occurs while driving on the highway for long(er) distances. During the week I drive from Massachussetts to Rhode Island for work (66 miles one way) and while on the highway if I go off route it can sometimes take 20 mins. or more for the unit to pick a new route. The same thing happened yesterday on the way to Portsmouth NH. All of the proper maps are loaded for the areas I am driving through as well.

Tha other problem I am having is that the unit is sometimes giving me slower directions than it should. When driving to RI the obvious roue (and Fastest) would be all highway (I-93 S to I-95 S). Instead the unit tells me to get off I-93 s and take smaller highways or even sometimes back roads and residential streets that would add a half hour or more to my trip.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,

Bill P.

[This message was edited by trinigen on April 20, 2003 at 05:59 AM.]

I've noticed the same thing as far as my V wanting me to leave the interstate. Yesterday I was driving back home and the GPS said I had a 3:40 trip. It kept wanting me to exit off of I-40. When I passed the final exit it wanted, it recalculated and my trip then became a 2:35.

Not sure about your first problem, I haven't noticed that - 2-3 minutes the most I've ever waited to recalculate a route.

eswau

I have never had a big issue with recalc on my V. I have has some issue when doing interstates and it wanting me to get off on a State RT and then reentering the interstate down the road a bit.

It has been money in DC getting me where I needed and keeping me from making some wrong way turns and what not.

Sometimes it has problem with quit turns and getting that info on screen quick but its not too big of an issue.

-Robert

Hey! Just got back from our first "solo GPS" vacation. Unlike the usual treks, we had no back up AAA maps...But we did have a GArmin V and III+.

Fearless Leader programed the route...but honestly we noticed

* Some maps were out of date (any way to update the maps..we are running them off the CD that we purchased Fearless says it has to be 3-4 years old).

* Recalculating took a long time (2-3 minutes) esp when we had loaded 3 or more map areas.

* Using the 2 GPS simultaneously worked the best.....the III+ was a big help when the V was recal....The simplified map system also helped to make clear choices....

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

A couple of things to check under the main setup menus, 1. calculation method- you have 4 choices from the quickest to the best, each taking more time to recaculate. I have mine set to better. Next is what to avoid, u-turns, toll, or highways, make sure highways is not checked. Be sure Car is designated as vehicle type. Turn off WAAS, there is only so much accuracy needed to navigate roads and more takes longer to recalculate. Turn the interface to none, again to lower the work load on the processor.Turn off both anchor drag and proximity alarms.Use a remote amplified antenna to get as much sattelite info to the receiver as possible, saves processor time looking for more data. Check for the latest software, 2.12B, they fix bugs as they find them.If it gets slow, manually start a recalculation using the preferred route preference.

Mine takes only 1 minute max to recalculate a route or off route missed turn. Hope this helps.

Pete W

[This message was edited by WDP on April 22, 2003 at 04:02 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by trinigen:

Hello all,

I have a few questions for anyone who might know the answers. I have a GPS V with autorouting selected with the Fastest Route option selected as well. I have been having some problems with the length of time it takes for the unit to recalculate when I have gone "off route" (according to the uunit, but that is another story all together). Most of this occurs while driving on the highway for long(er) distances. During the week I drive from Massachussetts to Rhode Island for work (66 miles one way) and while on the highway if I go off route it can sometimes take 20 mins. or more for the unit to pick a new route. The same thing happened yesterday on the way to Portsmouth NH. All of the proper maps are loaded for the areas I am driving through as well.

Tha other problem I am having is that the unit is sometimes giving me slower directions than it should. When driving to RI the obvious roue (and Fastest) would be all highway (I-93 S to I-95 S). Instead the unit tells me to get off I-93 s and take smaller highways or even sometimes back roads and residential streets that would add a half hour or more to my trip.

Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance,

Bill P.

[This message was edited by trinigen on April 20, 2003 at 05:59 AM.]

As someone already noted turning off WAAS will do wonders.

ALso try putting map detail on LEAST. Autorouting will automatically zoom in and add street detail as you need it. I've found having map detail set on MEDIUM to HIGH really really bogs down the GPSV. Especially when autorouting.

I believe there are differences in routing speed betweeen CITY SELECT and METROGUIDE -- at least that's what I've heard.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

oh, one more tip.

I've found that stopping your vehicle while the unit is rerouting will GREATLY speed up things. Especially in urban areas.

The unit is constantly trying to reroute you based on your current position but if you keep passing the intersections it is using to base it's calculations on it effectively has to start over. I live near Chicago and I learned this the hard way.

I simply pull into a parking lot or whatever and give it a minute or two to do its thing.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I didn't notice much of a difference with WAAS on or off on mine. I did notice that unless mine was set to Highes quality route it sometimes took me on a MUCH WORSE route (like 25 minutes longer to get home). I'll have to play with turning down the resolution to see if that speeds things up..I've never had mine take any more than a minute or two to recalculate..I assume that would be dependent on what/how many roads it had to take into account (large city=more route choices to check=long wait time).

Todd

As most people have said, my recalcs are much less than a minute. However, I do find that sometimes while in downtown Chicago, the calculation can take an enternity. I've noticed that if map detail is not loaded for the whole routing and some basemap is in the routing, more time and some screwy routing can occur.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

You can set the POI (and just about anything displayed) to be shown or not shown at different zoom levels. There is the over all map detail setting, but there is also a setting for each displayed item. When they are in AUTO, they take their que from the overall setting of map detail, but you can set them to show up at a praticular zoom level as well. For instance, here in Chicago I have the POI points set to turn on only at one of the very highest zoom levels, as there are so many here in the city that if they come on to soon they totally clutter the street information.

By having them come on say, at a zoom of 300 feet they are at least spread out far enough you can see whats going on between them.

Most of the time I will just set them to OFF anyway. WHat I really would love is a way to totally loose the POI data from the mapsource download, to make the file smaller, so I could fit more maps in the V.

66427_2800.gif

I got u all beat! Several times I've had my V give me an "Error calculating route" message. I don't even know what the heck that means! Mine also may take several minutes to calculate/recalculate a route. I even get a totally blank screen sometimes during calculations. All i have is the little vehicle icon. Then slowly the map fills in around it. i really would like to get rid of the POI information. When I had my 3+ I could fit a whole state or 2 into memory, now I'm lucky if I get 4 or 5 counties.

Wherever you go, there you are!

I vote for that...Loose the points of interest info to free up more room for road maps.

To be fair, the POI info is what my boss likes best about a GPS. He travels all the time and loved it when his friends etrex brought him right up to the Red Lobster he was looking for.

Todd

It is nice for traveling. I was just in Indianapolis for three days and my partner and I wanted a steak. Scrolled through the nearest steak houses and let it take us to the nearest Outback. Would have got lost otherwise! But, I'd rather it be on a memory card that I could pop in when I need the POI data. I'd gladly give up POI for more memory.

Steve Bukosky N9BGH

Waukesha Wisconsin

Even if they do it will be in a future version of city select. Unless they provide a patch on their site for free..they might make us buy a new CD.

After using my airmap 100 (lowrance) compaired to the gps V. As far as detail and (more railroads, streams, other significant Land items). The lowrance had my gps V beat hands down. Of course the lowrance was for flying and so those types of land features are more important for that.

Well I got my reply from Garmin and its the same old stuff. "When you select mapping detail you will transfer all the data that the map has to offer"

I also asked about refreshing the POI database because 90% of them in my area are no longer here and he just told me to forward the info to their error form page so they can pass it along to the people they get the info from.

I have to say I am quite surprised that with all the techie people in our community, nobody has hacked the software to remove the POI's. I did find a program that supposedly lets you edit the maps to, correct street names and such but you have to be a scientist to make it work icon_frown.gif

I sure hope we will not have to pay for a new version, I will pay for an upgrade (if and when they make one) if it will make a noticeable difference in the size of maps I can load.

Kar

TEAM SHIBBY!!!!

Krs, Kar & Na

Can you point me to that software to allow street name changes and such.

City select has the town of freedom indianan renamed to braysville when you zoom in.

It would be great to be able modify the firmware code to add your own features. I'll bet it would be a simple matter (for garmin) to not populate (on download) the POI list and free up memory in the V.

The V is still my gps of choice but its all a compramise. Hey, garmin wants us to buy differnt gps's for different uses. One for the car, one for the airplane, one for the field, one for the water. Its not in their best interest to put all the features into just one Gps unless its price is two or three times normal.

Todd Snyder