Hand Held GPS with Streets & Trips 2001

Guest Wildcards

Guest Wildcards

Has anyone tried connecting their hand held to a laptop with MS Streets and Trips 2001? How well did they work together? Any compatibility issues?

According to the S&T software any GPS unit will work.

Curious to know if I can use my existing mapping software of do I have to invest in the over-priced software from the GPS manufacturers.

Thanks

Guest Park2

I use it all the time, works like a hot d*mn. I was driving through a really ugly snowstorm last week in the middle of nowhere. Having my laptop with this running absolutely saved me from missing a turn down a little rural road.

Don't forget to install the GPS support software (included on the S&T disk in a seperate directory)

Set your GPSr for NMEA output at 4800 baud. Out of the box it updates your position every 15 seconds which I found rather slow. If found a post here that explains how to adjust the update rate to your choice:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000376.html

Guest Wildcards

Thanks, but did you really go into the program and change the setting listed? I don't have a hex tool or the technical knowledge to make the adjustments.

Also, have you ever tried entering the Long/Lat in S&T? It seems to work but gets a little picky on the seconds for a DMS entry.

Let me know.

Thanks

Guest Park2

quote:
did you really go into the program and change the setting listed

Yeah, but I'm a geek. The 15 second update rate isn't that bad. If you aren't confy with the idea, I'd say forget it. It is quite straightforward (still, make a backup) with a free hex editor from here:

http://www.etree.com/tech/notsofreestuff/hexedit/

quote:
Also, have you ever tried entering the Long/Lat in S&T? It seems to work but gets a little picky on the seconds for a DMS entry.

Yes, I do that as well, but the format isn't DMS, it only takes coordinates as (degrees.decimal degrees). You just have to convert DMS to full degrees by summing: degrees + (60 / minutes) + (3600 / seconds ).

Don't forget western longitudes are negative (as in Calgary is roughly at +51 degrees lat and -114 degrees long.)

-------

Gord

Guest Vagabond

If you can find the 2000 version it has degrees minutes seconds, other then that they are almost identical. I have them both, and I see that 2002 version is now out but I don't know how it is set up icon_biggrin.gif:

Guest Vagabond

If you can find the 2000 version it has degrees minutes seconds, other then that they are almost identical. I have them both, and I see that 2002 version is now out but I don't know how it is set up icon_biggrin.gif:

Guest Vagabond

elay, I believe that is a little off. When I'm on the Interstate and pass under a bridge it looks like about a 2 or 3 second delay, Expedia 2000 will show me almost at the bridge as I am coming out from under it.

[This message has been edited by Vagabond (edited 05 March 2002).]

Guest Adam F

On a related note, do you know if Delorme's Street Atlas Deluxe has a 15 second refresh, and if so is there some way to change that? Sorry to veer offtopic here, but I really need to know this.

------------------

Etrex Legend

Guest Park2

Sorry, my math was a little transposed (friends don't let friends type after Contact C)

Should be:

You just have to convert DMS to full degrees by summing: degrees + (minutes/60) + (seconds/3600 ).

Guest stevesim

quote:
Originally posted by Adam F:

On a related note, do you know if Delorme's Street Atlas Deluxe has a 15 second refresh, and if so is there some way to change that? Sorry to veer offtopic here, but I really need to know this.

I have used Delorme's Street Atlas 8.0 in the past with my Magellan 315 and it does not have a 15 second delay. From my memory it updates the position on the map every 1-2 seconds. The 15 second update rate in MS Streets and Trips is due to a licensing agreement between MS and its map providers. This tells you something about the map providers control of their data if a 15 second update rate is the best that an 800 pound gorilla of a company like Microsoft could do (or more likly was willing to pay for). I imagine Microsoft received quite a discount for this low update rate. As far as I know no toher GPS traking enabled map program has such a slow update rate. I guess Microsoft decided the lower price was more important than the crippled performance of their product when used with a GPS. Of course, Microsoft could have made it much more difficult to change the update rate than merely using a hex editor on their EXE file...

Steve Simpkin

Guest Wildcards

OK, found the hex editor, down loaded it. I can find the surrounding bytes of 00060E00 but I cannot find offset 0X60E13 or address 0X60E14. I am assuming "X" equals 00. Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

Guest Ianic

I'm using MST on my laptop and PST on my pocket PC. They are my basic working tools because they are cheap, but really don't have much to offer in term of GPS functionality. No speed, bearing, heading info. No way to navigate to a point or along a route. The basics of GPS that other mapping software usually offer.

And there is no export functionality. I'de like to be able to extract my pushpin information to use it somewhere else.

Finally, here in Quebec, when you get out of town, MST doens't have much information overlayed on their maps.

Ianic

Wildcards,

You need to change 60E13 From value 98 to E8 and 60E14 change the value 3A to 03 to get a 1 second update or you can change 0x60E13 From value 98 to D0 and 60E14 change the value 3A to 07 to get a 2 second update

That is 98 3A becomes E8 03 for 1 second

That is 98 3A becomes D0 07 for 2 seconds

Whups, I was offline composing this and Mr Plow beat me too it, oh well, here's my reply.

Sorry for the delay, I was out of town for a couple days.

quote:
Originally posted by Wildcards:

OK, found the hex editor, down loaded it. I can find the surrounding bytes of 00060E00 but I cannot find offset 0X60E13 or address 0X60E14. I am assuming "X" equals 00. Please let me know what I am doing wrong.

You're on the right track, 00060E10 is the address of the first byte in the line starting with 00060E10. 60E13/14 are the 4th and 5th bytes in the line.

You just need to set your cursor in the hex side and OVERWRITE the existing bytes. Note it is important to overwrite, not insert additional bytes. The hex editor defaults to insert so you have to hit your 'Insert' key once so the status lins shows 'OVR' in the bottom right corner.

Compare the following string to your original string and you can see the 4th and 5th bytes have changed from 98 3A to E8 07. In most Intel processors, the 2nd of 2 bytes is actually the one that comes first when evaluating them, so the number is 07E8 which in decimal is 2024 and as the other post suggests this is the # of seconds in milliseconds, so I have an update rate of once every 2.024 seconds. (3A98 = 15000 mS)

00060E10 8B 08 BF E8 07 00 00 53 57 6A 01 FF 76 08 50 FF

Hope this helps

Just downloaded a few caches to MsST2002 and then exported them to PocketStreets2002.

Unfortunately I have a problem with PocketSteets2002 pushpins as they appear completely off the mark and can't use it for initial cache approach. Does anybody have an idea on how to resolve this problem?

Thanks for any help and advise you may have.

Ianic

quote:
Originally posted by Park2:

Yeah, but I'm a geek. The 15 second update rate isn't that bad. If you aren't confy with the idea, I'd say forget it. It is quite straightforward (still, make a backup) with a free hex editor from here:

http://www.etree.com/tech/notsofreestuff/hexedit/

Sorry, I missed this plug before. eHex isn't free, it is shareware ($19.95), but it does have a 30 day trial.

I am glad to see that someone used it to copy and paste sequences of data. It was inspired when I was copying and pasting packets from a network sniffer into source code. Visual Studio's binary mode is cool, but copy, paste, and search were really pissing me off.

Enjoy

-jjf

Some smart hacker should write a patch that allows us idiots who can only do point and click to modify the update time on our MS Streets and Trips then post it here.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.