ETrex backlight

Guest Snowtrail

Guest Snowtrail

Looking through my manual, it says that I have a backlight if I hold down the power button. If I do this, it turns the darn thing off. Do I have to be in a certian mode (like non-battery save) or on a certain screen?

Guest fairbank

One quick press of the power button will turn the backlighting on. Another quick press will turn it off. You can set it so that it will stay on, or go off after 15, 30, or 60 seconds. To set it, while on the sat screen, press the enter key, then highlight the "setup display" option and press enter again, then highlight the light timeout window and press enter again and select your option. Just remember that if you turn the backlighting on and you have selected one of the timeout options other than "stay on", after the backlighting goes out, it will come on again every time you press a key. You normally don't want this during daylight operation so be sure to turn the backlighting off with the power key so that it stays off.

Eric