Good autorouting software for laptop/etrex legend?

I use Garmin's Mapsource Metroguide, It has the Complete usa streets, business listings etc. It has an Auto route feature to create routes, It's fairly simple click on starting point & destination and the cpu will highlight the fastest and or shortest route, You enter you driving habits, i.e. speed on residential, highways and it will calculate time for you. It

won't tell you when to turn next but if you can read a detailed map on the fly it's easy. I'm pretty impressed with mapsource metroguide, I use it to down load routes to my units, A e-Trex vista

& Gpsmap 176c. I have no complaints, others might. icon_razz.gif

What unit do you use. I have a Vista and use Metroguide. While it will not autoroute in the unit on the fly like the Garmin V, you can set it do the routing in your computer or laptop. Then transfer the route to the GPS.

I believe GI JAne meant to say the the Vista does indicate when to turn and in which direction before you get to the turn. In navigation mode, the bearing arrow "bends" prior to the turn indicating which direction you'll have to go as you approach the next turn. You must have one of the latter software versions loaded into the Vista though from the Garmin site.

Alan

I use the eTrex Legend (blue unit). I like the idea of letting the software do the routing and then saving that as a route... But I also like the notion of just plugging in my 4-8 caches for the day and letting it do the work for the routing me around. icon_smile.gif I'll give the comments here some thought. Too bad there isn't a trial version of these programs (microsoft does but it's $10 for them to mail you a CD)

-Mixster

I have Garmin's mapsource metroguide, MS Streets and Trip, Rand McNally and Delorme Street Atlas (ver 9 and also 2003) and my favorite is the Delorme Street Atlas when using laptop and GPS to autoroute a trip.

I have all above software on my laptop and I have tried them all.

I've used Delorme 2003 and found that Metroguide is more intuitive, simpler to work with especialy as its designed by Garmin as a companion piece to their Vista. Of course that's a personal prefernce on my part.

The more important point is that only Metroguide allows you to transfer the maps to the GPS. You cannot do that with Delorme or any other 3rd party software - routing or non-routing. If you only have A 3rd party software, you will not see the street details in your GPS! What good is it?

My standard recommendation is to get the mfr's software first because of it's map transfer capability. Then you can try others if you got the money, but at least you have the maps in the GPS.

Good luck on whatever you choose.

Alan

I'm looking for software for my laptop that will give verbal instructions on when to turn.

Say I want to go to Disney World. I'd want the software to pick a route and then use the GPS to navigate.

I have the Garmin eTrex Venture.

The great question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" --Freud

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

I'm looking for software for my laptop that will give verbal instructions on when to turn.

I use both Streets and Trips and Delome Street Atlas 2003. I find S&T much easier to use. It also seems to have more Points of Interest. However, the GPS functionality is very limited. Delorme is much more difficult to use, but the GPS functionality is fantastic. Not only will it give you verbal directions but you can talk to it via a microphone and control the program. VERY cool!

dyslexics of the world, untie.

quote:
Originally posted by Cache_Cows:

quote:
Originally posted by Rygel:

I use both Streets and Trips and Delome Street Atlas 2003. I find S&T much easier to use. It also seems to have more Points of Interest. However, the GPS functionality is very limited. Delorme is much more difficult to use, but the GPS functionality is fantastic. Not only will it give you verbal directions but you can talk to it via a microphone and control the program. VERY cool!

dyslexics of the world, untie.

So Delorme does give verbal directions? I didn't get that from their website. Looked like it only took verbal directions. I may just go with that then.

I've got my laptop in the car anyway so its no big deal for me.

Now, if I could hookmy GPS up to my Dell Axim that would be great too!

The great question...which I have not been able to answer, despite my thirty years of research into the feminine soul, is "What does a woman want?" --Freud