Sportrac Pro Personalization

chuska

Open the MyMeridian.ini file with a text editor. Look at the top and find:

[Personalized]

;Magellan GPS types supported

; 0=Meridian Gold, Platinum, or Marine

; 1=Map330 series

; 2=Meridian Green (firmware split at V3.12 (April 17, 2002)

MagellanGPS=1 <-- SHOULD BE "1" FOR SPORTRAK

Your's is likely set to 0. Change to 1 and save the file.

I just had the same thing happen to me when I accidentally hit the wrong part of the screen when trying to switch to a different application.

You folks are making this a lot harder than it really is ... icon_smile.gif

First off ...the actual beginning and ending firmware filename depends on the firmware version you are personalizing.

For example, the filename is (currently) 'spor403.hex', you rename it to 'zorro209.sre', run MyMeridian (Map330 radio button), which spits out the file 'Personal.hex', which you rename back to the original filename, in this case 'spor403.hex'.

No need to edit any .ini files ...the only reason you change the filename back and forth is to fool the MyMeridian software into thinking that the unit is a supported Map330 (or Meridian as the case may be).

It would be much easier if the author of the MyMeridian program would just support the SporTrak series icon_smile.gif But then again, where's the fun in that? icon_smile.gif

(Maybe they do by now ...I haven't checked)

If the 'warnings' regarding altering/uploading your firmware bother you, than I would suggest that maybe the 'personalization' and/or firmware update process is not for you icon_smile.gif

As for the large (14MB) Meridian 'land'(v 1.03) basemap file ...which replaces the SporTrak Pro's default 9MB 'marine' oriented basemap ...

At the time I didn't have MapSend Topo, and I had no use for the SporTrak Pro's 'marine' info ...so I loaded the large 'land-based' Meridian Platinum map instead.

The fact is ...I now have MapSend Topo, and I *still* keep the 14MB Meridian land-based basemap in the unit as the default basemap ...and only load small map sections from MapSend Topo as needed icon_smile.gif

As for what the map 'differences' are ...set the map detail to 'highest' and take a look icon_smile.gif

I hear your point about saving memory, especially as the difference between the basemaps is hard to detect. (Maybe someone on here knows what the difference is btw the 9MB Sportrak and the 14MB Meridian basemap?)

I got this GPS as a (very welcome) present, and from what I can tell it costs $100+ for extended maps. I thought I'd get by with the basemap, that's why I updgraded - to get the biggest one available.

If I do cave in and buy the maps, I guess I may downgrade to a smaller basemap.

I got the map at:

http://www.navicache.com/meridian_basemaps/NorthAmerica_Land_1_03.zip

-f.

I have used MyMeridian several times and it has worked perfectly (except for the centering issue). Yes, you have to rename the files manually to make it work, but that's no big thing.

However, I did accidentally click the wrong GPS selection when I was trying to make MyMeridian be the top window (over Windows Explorer). Once I did that (I forget if I saved the configuration), My Meridian stopped working and complained about not finding the right file and would automatically exit. The only way to get it working again was to manually edit the ini file.

Dweebe's problem sounded like the same thing.

Magellan recommends that you do a memory clear on your GPSr before you do an upgrade. This erases all stored waypoints and routes. I’ve done several upgrades without doing a memory clear and haven’t noticed any problems. Has anyone else noticed any problems doing it this way?

Larebel

When you got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.

I just bought a SporTrak Map today (my first GPSr! woohoo!) and found this thread after discovering the MyMeridian program... I was happy to see that it could be used with the SporTraks.

I had already updated the firmware to 5.00, and when I ran MyMeridian I got the same "Bad data" field with a 13 character limit that was reported with the ST Pro 3.03 firmware earlier in this thread.

It CAN be fixed!!! Here's how.

- Put MyMeridian in the same directory as MAGUP and the 5.00 firmware file (spor500.hex).

- Run MyMeridian. You'll get an error message (can't find firmware file or somesuch). Quit out of it.

- Open the newly created MyMeridian.ini file. First of all, change MagellanGPS to 1. (the Map330 setting).

- Now, scroll all the way to the bottom of the file at the [Map330] section. Change the rom filename in the FactoryFilename field to spor500.hex

- Here's how you get it to work. Assuming that you've already flashed the bare v5.00 firmware (which you SHOULD before attempting this!!!), power up your ST and look at the first line of the legal screen. It should read "All data is". Now, notice that the "English" field in the MyMeridian.ini file reads "All data". Change this field to "All data is", or whatever's on your ST legal screen.

- Rerun MyMagellan and everything should work fine!

Thanks to everyone for their comments in this thread. Hope this helps someone...

I just updated and personalized my Sportrak Topo with the instructions above. Seems that the instructions that Magellan sends with the update file are pretty weak - I couldn't get it into software upload mode with their stock instructions. Thanks for all of the input here.

Can anyone point me to a page on the Magellan site that acutally shows what the updates to the firmware represent - they say in the readme file to look on the support page on the w/s, but that doesn't list the enhancements.

In addition - the Magup program doesn't seem to support COM5 or COM6 - you have to enter Expert Mode to use these - or at least I couldn't get the magup program to scan those ports.

Thanks again! Having my name come up on my GPSr is nice peace of mind!

Brian

I just bought a SporTrak Map today (my first GPSr!  woohoo!) and found this thread after discovering the MyMeridian program... I was happy to see that it could be used with the SporTraks.

I had already updated the firmware to 5.00, and when I ran MyMeridian I got the same "Bad data" field with a 13 character limit that was reported with the ST Pro 3.03 firmware earlier in this thread.

It CAN be fixed!!!  Here's how.

- Put MyMeridian in the same directory as MAGUP and the 5.00 firmware file (spor500.hex). 

- Run MyMeridian.  You'll get an error message (can't find firmware file or somesuch).  Quit out of it.

- Open the newly created MyMeridian.ini file.  First of all, change MagellanGPS to 1. (the Map330 setting).

- Now, scroll all the way to the bottom of the file at the [Map330] section.  Change the rom filename in the FactoryFilename field to spor500.hex

- Here's how you get it to work.  Assuming that you've already flashed the bare v5.00 firmware (which you SHOULD before attempting this!!!), power up your ST and look at the first line of the legal screen.  It should read "All data is".  Now, notice that the "English" field in the MyMeridian.ini file reads "All data".  Change this field to "All data is", or whatever's on your ST legal screen.

- Rerun MyMagellan and everything should work fine!

Thanks to everyone for their comments in this thread.  Hope this helps someone...

;) Just wanted to say thanks for the information. My SporTrak Map is now personalized. B) But went with ver. 4.04

Edited by Finler
Magellan recommends that you do a memory clear on your GPSr before you do an upgrade. This erases all stored waypoints and routes. I’ve done several upgrades without doing a memory clear and haven’t noticed any problems. Has anyone else noticed any problems doing it this way?

Great, you've been lucky. I *have* heard of a number of people experiencing a wide range of oddities that have disappeared with a clear memory all, so it seems like a good precaution. It appears that residual data may linger from one firmware to the next, and it can potentially interefere with efficient operation. I clear memory as much as instructed, and usually throw in another for good luck.