Sportrac Pro Personalization

chuska

This is a great forum! I have learned so much from reading here.

One thing that interests me is the ability to personalize the disclaimer screens on startup. I know that it is possible with other units but I have not read if it is possible to do with the Sportrac Pro. Has anyone done this?

Thanks

Tim

To personalize your SporTrak Pro:

Download and install the new firmware v3.02 from here:

www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/upgrades/upgrade_sportrakmappro.asp"

(Follow the instructions when installing the firmware)

Download the MyMeridian personalization software from here:

www.navicache.com/freeware

(Follow the instructions which come with the MyMeridian software ...well, almost icon_smile.gif

You need to rename the "spor302.hex" file to "zorro209.sre" Then start MyMeridian and set the radio button to reflect that it is a Map330.

(You may also use the filename "mgold312.hex" and MeridianGold radio button ...it doesn't seem to really matter one way or the other.)

Enter you personalization info. The software will save your changes as "Personal.hex". DO NOT choose to start the firmware upload when prompted. Instead, first rename the "Personal.hex" file back to "spor302.hex" and manually start the magup.exe firmware upgrade software.

The only "bug" I see with this personalization is that you need to push the enter button to exit from the personalized screen into the main menu screens, otherwise the unit will power itself off if left to cycle thru the startup screens by itself.

****I can't say if this has been done by anyone else prior to this ...I couldn't find any references to anybody else having previously personalized the Sportrak Pro, so maybe this is the first.

[This message was edited by clps on August 22, 2002 at 10:27 AM.]

To personalize your SporTrak Pro:

Download and install the new firmware v3.02 from here:

www.magellangps.com/en/support/products/upgrades/upgrade_sportrakmappro.asp"

(Follow the instructions when installing the firmware)

Download the MyMeridian personalization software from here:

www.navicache.com/freeware

(Follow the instructions which come with the MyMeridian software ...well, almost icon_smile.gif

You need to rename the "spor302.hex" file to "zorro209.sre" Then start MyMeridian and set the radio button to reflect that it is a Map330.

(You may also use the filename "mgold312.hex" and MeridianGold radio button ...it doesn't seem to really matter one way or the other.)

Enter you personalization info. The software will save your changes as "Personal.hex". DO NOT choose to start the firmware upload when prompted. Instead, first rename the "Personal.hex" file back to "spor302.hex" and manually start the magup.exe firmware upgrade software.

The only "bug" I see with this personalization is that you need to push the enter button to exit from the personalized screen into the main menu screens, otherwise the unit will power itself off if left to cycle thru the startup screens by itself.

****I can't say if this has been done by anyone else prior to this ...I couldn't find any references to anybody else having previously personalized the Sportrak Pro, so maybe this is the first.

My SporTrak Pro is "personalized". The above instructions are specifically for the SporTrak Pro.

The latest version of MyMeridian, of course ...v.5b icon_smile.gif

Below is a shot of my "personalized" SporTrak Pro for you skeptics icon_smile.gif

The unit is in a modified cell phone case with a lanyard attached.

(And, of course, the personal info was intentionally 'blurred'.)

personal_sportrakpro.jpg

[This message was edited by clps on August 22, 2002 at 11:10 AM.]

My SporTrak Pro is "personalized". The above instructions are specifically for the SporTrak Pro.

The latest version of MyMeridian, of course ...v.5b icon_smile.gif

Below is a shot of my "personalized" SporTrak Pro for you skeptics icon_smile.gif

The unit is in a modified cell phone case with a lanyard attached.

(And, of course, the personal info was intentionally 'blurred'.)

personal_sportrakpro.jpg

[This message was edited by clps on August 22, 2002 at 11:10 AM.]

I must say ...the "Moderation Queue Feature" leaves quite a bit to be desired. In fact it stinks. Over twelve hours and the post hasn't shown up yet???

It was simply a post explaining how to change the basemap of the SporTrak Pro, and telling where to find alternate basemaps (the Meridian basemaps also work in the SporTrak Pro) ...not exactly 'state secret' stuff.

Speaking as an admin myself, the moderation queue 'feature' in this application is not a 'feature' at all, but a bug.

Glad to be of assistance icon_smile.gif

As I tried to say in a prior post on this thread, (which evidently didn't make the 'cut', ..as it referenced an 'alternate geocaching site' for downloads) you can also further 'personalize' your SporTrak Pro by changing the basemap in the unit.

For example, I installed the 14+MB basemap from the Meridian Gold/Platinum into my SporTrak Pro, replacing the 9MB default basemap which comes with the unit. The reason being, the default SporTrak Pro basemap is smaller and more 'marine' oriented, and I wanted the large land-based basemap from the Meridian Gold/Platinum instead.

To do this, simply download the desired Meridian basemap which can be found in the Meridian Forum on that 'alternate geocaching site' (hint: Nav i cache), and edit the 'ini' file to

[sporTrak Pro] rather than [Meridian], then follow the instructions.

(By the way, I used the Meridian basemap file named 'NorthAmerica Land 1 03')

[This message was edited by clps on August 30, 2002 at 02:32 PM.]

Glad to be of assistance icon_smile.gif

As I tried to say in a prior post on this thread, (which evidently didn't make the 'cut', ..as it referenced an 'alternate geocaching site' for downloads) you can also further 'personalize' your SporTrak Pro by changing the basemap in the unit.

For example, I installed the 14+MB basemap from the Meridian Gold/Platinum into my SporTrak Pro, replacing the 9MB default basemap which comes with the unit. The reason being, the default SporTrak Pro basemap is smaller and more 'marine' oriented, and I wanted the large land-based basemap from the Meridian Gold/Platinum instead.

To do this, simply download the desired Meridian basemap which can be found in the Meridian Forum on that 'alternate geocaching site' (hint: Nav i cache), and edit the 'ini' file to

[sporTrak Pro] rather than [Meridian], then follow the instructions.

(By the way, I used the Meridian basemap file named 'NorthAmerica Land 1 03')

[This message was edited by clps on August 30, 2002 at 02:32 PM.]

And don't forget to bump the map resolution up for greater detail from your new Meridian basemap... icon_smile.gif

From the Map Screen, enter the Setup Menu and choose 'Map Setup', then set the Detail to 'Highest'.

(The default 'factory' map setting for the SporTrak Pro is 'Medium', which is two levels down from 'Highest'.)

And don't forget to bump the map resolution up for greater detail from your new Meridian basemap... icon_smile.gif

From the Map Screen, enter the Setup Menu and choose 'Map Setup', then set the Detail to 'Highest'.

(The default 'factory' map setting for the SporTrak Pro is 'Medium', which is two levels down from 'Highest'.)

Too bad Thales Navigation doesn't make a case like this for the SporTrak units ...I'd buy one if they did.

As I said above ...the case is a Belkin model F8V636 (according to the tag inside the case), for the Nokia 252 and it just happens to fit the SporTrak Pro, (with a minor modification). icon_smile.gif The 'cutout' that you referred to is the data/charger port, which has been slightly enlarged so that the SporTrak's 'antenna bump' can snugly fit thru it. The SporTrak actually slides into the case upside down, so that the velcro flap allows access to the battery compartment without removing the unit from the case.

Also ...a most excellent ($3.99) Chisco lanyard

http://cat.chisco.com/cgi-bin/cat/browse.html?mv_arg=Lanyards&mv_pc=2049

is shown attached to the case's lanyard loop icon_smile.gif

The only real (minor) beef I have with this rig is that the Sportrak Pro is upside down when using the pocket clip ...(which in actuality protects the antenna when not in use, so it's no big deal). When the SporTrak is in use I flip it upright in my pocket, or clip it somewhere handy, and the lanyard around my neck keeps it from harm should it slip out of my pocket inadvertently, or come unclipped.

Here's a link to the case:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=25341

[This message was edited by clps on September 04, 2002 at 01:28 PM.]

Too bad Thales Navigation doesn't make a case like this for the SporTrak units ...I'd buy one if they did.

As I said above ...the case is a Belkin model F8V636 (according to the tag inside the case), for the Nokia 252 and it just happens to fit the SporTrak Pro, (with a minor modification). icon_smile.gif The 'cutout' that you referred to is the data/charger port, which has been slightly enlarged so that the SporTrak's 'antenna bump' can snugly fit thru it. The SporTrak actually slides into the case upside down, so that the velcro flap allows access to the battery compartment without removing the unit from the case.

Also ...a most excellent ($3.99) Chisco lanyard

http://cat.chisco.com/cgi-bin/cat/browse.html?mv_arg=Lanyards&mv_pc=2049

is shown attached to the case's lanyard loop icon_smile.gif

The only real (minor) beef I have with this rig is that the Sportrak Pro is upside down when using the pocket clip ...(which in actuality protects the antenna when not in use, so it's no big deal). When the SporTrak is in use I flip it upright in my pocket, or clip it somewhere handy, and the lanyard around my neck keeps it from harm should it slip out of my pocket inadvertently, or come unclipped.

Here's a link to the case:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Product_Id=25341

[This message was edited by clps on September 04, 2002 at 01:28 PM.]

EMS does a nice cellphone case which I find stores my sportrak nicely - link is

http://www.ems.com/products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=291773&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1971&bmUID=1035916313492

It has a belt loop and a little clip set up that means you can clip it around a strap on a backpack should you so desire. Unit is head-up in the case if you put it that way up, zip closure, little side-pocket that will hold a couple of batteries - for $8 its hard to find a better deal.

Alas there is no window in that case - bit of a bugger, really - I tend to clip the case to my pack strap and leave it in there until I know I'm close to the spot, then I take it out. Its snug enough that I don't have to zip it up so I can take it out occassionaly to check how I'm doing.

Sorry for the confusion.

quote:
Originally posted by clps:

Thanks CLPS, I was able to personalize my Sportrak Pro this evening without any problems.

Larebel

258630beam5.gif

When you got nothin', you got nothin' to lose.

After comparing both firmwares, it would appear that some changes have been made in the amount of characters allowed in the center (Disclaimer) section of the 'lawyer' screen.

In firmware v3.02, there is a maximum limit of one hundred and seven (107) allowable characters, (replacing the text: "All data is provided for reference only. You assume full responsibility and risk when using this device.")

In firmware v3.03, there is a maximum limit of thirteen (13) allowable characters, (replacing the text: "Bad data").

I'm not sure what is up with the change. It would appear that the only software enhancements/fixes (according to the 'Instructions.txt' of the 3.03 firmware), is a "Fix Language Menu corruption" ...whatever that means icon_smile.gif

What does all this mean to me? It looks like the v3.03 firmware is limited to thirteen (13) total characters in the center section of the 'lawyer' screen ...which is not enough room to enter any meaningful personal data, IMHO.

Which ...looks to me like firmware v3.03 is a firmware I will NOT be recommending for use ...if you desire a 'personalized' unit.

The fact is, I see absolutely NO reason to upgrade to v3.03 firmware at all.

Could the "Fix Language Menu corruption" be referring to the personalization of the 'lawyer' screen?

After all, that could be loosely referred to as 'corrupting the menu language', (albeit intentionally so) ...especially in legalese, which is how companies tend to phrase things when they don't want to be direct.

I hope Thales Navigation is not intentionally trying to prevent SporTrak owners from personalizing their units, as this is the type of company behavior that drives me to purchase a competitors product(s).

Up until now I have strongly recommended the SporTrak Pro, but if this behavior is indeed intentional by Thales, I will be taking my business elsewhere, and recommend that others do also.

Are you listening Magellan?

(Cracker7M, thanks for your answer)

I submitted the following question(s) to Magellan product support:

--------snip--------------

Has the v3.03 firmware for the SporTrak Pro been intentionally altered, in order to prevent the personalization of the 'lawyer' startup screen? ...As talked about in this thread:

http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=5740990093&m=7660969035&r=9950988835#9950988835

It would appear that the Disclaimer section of the lawyer screen went from a maximum allowable 107 characters in firmware v3.02, to 13 maximum allowable characters in firmware v3.03, replacing the text "Bad data". Is this what "Fix Language Menu corruption" means in the "software enhancements/fixes" for v3.03?

Thank you

----end snip----------------------

Hopefully, we'll get a clear answer one way or the other regarding the 'lawyer' screen icon_smile.gif

I received the following message from Magellan regarding the v3.03 firmware.

-----snip-------------

"Personalization of the lawyer screen is a non-Thales Navigation endeavor. It is essentially a hack of the .hex file by some of our users. We do not support it. We did not do any intentional changes that would disallow this, but it is not something we test for or intentionally support."

-----end snip-----------

Hmmmm, I'm glad they cleared that up for me icon_smile.gif

Has anyone attempted this with the 4.03 firmware? I got my Sportrak Pro for Christmas and immediately upgraded my firmware to 4.03. It sounds like anything after 3.02 does not support personalizing the warning screen.

Maybe I should get the 3.02 firmware, make the changes to the screen and then switch back to 4.03? Has anyone who previously made a change to the warning screen then upgraded the 4.03 firmware lost those changes?

4.03 personalization works just fine ...exactly as described for 3.02 above.

Either 3.03 was an aberration ...or Magellan listened to it's customers icon_smile.gif

And ...each time you change the firmware the personalization is lost ...as the 'personalization' is done to the specific firmware prior to it being uploaded to the SporTrak Pro, i.e. you personalize the firmware on your PC with the MyMeridian program, then upload the altered (personalized) firmware to your SporTrak Pro.

[This message was edited by clps on January 06, 2003 at 05:34 PM.]

Yup, works fine on mine with 4.03....

I think not being able to do it with 3.03 was a fluke...

I got the personalization to work with every language supported in the firmware, EXCEPT for English....

The MyMeridian program showed English only having 8 text characters available for the message, where as all the other languages still had the normal 60-110 characters, depending on which language was selected.

Another reason why I think it was a fluke, is that the only difference between v3.03 and v3.02 is a language menu fix.

I found the bug on my Sportrak, activated it,and it COMPLETELY screwed up the firmware (v3.02).

I could not get the firmware to reload, v3.02 OR v3.03, so I ended up calling Magellan, and they were ABSOLUTELY cool about repairing my unit.

If anyone does NOT like the new v4.03, and wants to go back to the old firmware, I would suggest going to v3.03, NOT v3.02!

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

I have noticed that the last lines in the three personalization areas in the MyMeridian software do not get centered when you upload the firmware to the SporTrak. They get left justified which makes the screen look ugly.

I have found two workarounds: 1) In the Menu Name area, type in something that uses all 11 characters like PROPERTY OF. This forces the text to be centered. 2) In the Disclaimer and Acknowledgement areas, hit Enter on the second to the last line so you have the cursor centered in the last line with no text. The last line gets left justified but since you don't have text there you can't see it.

Here is a possible 3rd workaround: In looking at the MyMeridian.ini file with a text editor you see the following entries at the top of the file:

Title=PROPERTY OF

Message=nJohn DoenAny City, StatennPlease call:n555-555-5555n

Agree=REWARDnIF FOUND

It's easy to see MyMeridian uses "n" to indicate the next line of text and centers it properly. However, it does not place the n after IF FOUND with the result IF FOUND gets left justified where everything else is centered.

I don't know if this would work, but a person could type n after IF FOUND in the Acknowledgement window, like this: IF FOUNDn to "trick" MyMeridian into centering the text.

I haven't tried it because I'm satisfied with my results using the first two workarounds. But, it's an interesting possibility that some brave soul might like to try.

I tried updating the basemap on my sportrak pro as described by clps in this topic. However, when I run magup.exe nothing happens - it does not automatically prompt me to update the basemap as it said it should in the instructions that came with the basemap.

I have Firmware 4.03, and I was trying to upload NorthAmerica_Land_1_03.

Any ideas?

-f

Well, first off, the NA 1_03 is the North American MARINE map.....

You might want touse the NA 1_01, which is the Meridian North American Land map, and its the one thats just over 2MB.

You have to download the ZIP, extract it, then run magup. When magup starts, check NO for the automatic download.

Click "Expert Mode", click you're model of GPS, and on the right, click ON for Expert mode, click OK.

Then click "Upload", click "OK" to the notice that expert mode is on.

Then click Base Map Only.

Then click "Change File", then locate the basemap file. (file name should be NA_B101.IMG).

Now, before selecting the new map file, power up your Sportrak in the upload software mode by pressing the NAV, MENU, & POWER keys all at once.

Screen should say "SOFT UPLOAD MODE ACTIVE".

If you get the regular powerup screen, power down andtry again. Sometimes it takes afew tries tohit all three buttonsjust right.

Once you get the GPSr in upload mode, then select the map file and click open.

The upload should start at this point.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

Thanks a lot, I did get the map uploaded, but I want to double check on the map version...

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Well, first off, the NA 1_03 is the North American MARINE map.....

The map I uploaded to my Sportrak Pro is the 'Meridian North American Basemap V1.03 Update', it came in a zipfile named 'NorthAmerica_Land_1_03.zip', the mapfile itself is called NA_G103.IMG and is 14.3MB in size.

Is this the marine map?? I looked around on the map, and I didn't notice any difference in detail between it and the 9MB one that came with my Sportrak Pro.

Thanks again for the help.

-f.

Ok, this might be my bad...

Soundslike you have a newer version ofthe land base map.

I thought the most current one was the 1_01.

I compared the original 8MB basemap that came with my ST Map and the 2MB 1_01 Meridian basemap, and couldnt tell any difference.

The advantage to going with the smaller basemap, is that you can use the memory you save for bigger regional maps.

If the new Meridian map (v1_03)? is 14MB, I think I'll stick withthe older 2MB one...

Where did you find the v1_03?

I'm guessing Yahoo Groups, since Navicache hasnt updated their firmware/map files yet....

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

I have been trying to run the MyMeridian software but get and error message. I get the first warning saying that the Warning Screen will be uodated and to proceed at your own caution. I then get a message there is a problem with the mgold312.hex file. Has anyone else gotten this?