Maps not to be used for navigation

ZeroG

I just bought MapSource MetroGuide USA and opened up the manual. Happened to come a cross something pretty funny: "WARNING: No liability is accepted for the use of this product and it must not be used to assist in navigation." icon_eek.gif Not assist in naviagtion?? That is the sole purpose why I bought this thing and I think for most people! icon_smile.gif I realize it is just a "legal" thing they put in there, but it just reads kind of funny.

quote:
Originally posted by ZeroG:

I realize it is just a "legal" thing they put in there, but it just reads kind of funny.

I recently bought a big blow-up Purple Dinosaur pool toy. The amount of "warnings" stamped on the side of it took up an ENTIRE side and was writtin in 5 languages. It looked like a Billboard.

We are literally getting to the point where they are going to have to engrave, "Not To Be Used To Stab Eyeballs" on table forks. - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by ZeroG:

I realize it is just a "legal" thing they put in there, but it just reads kind of funny.

I recently bought a big blow-up Purple Dinosaur pool toy. The amount of "warnings" stamped on the side of it took up an ENTIRE side and was writtin in 5 languages. It looked like a Billboard.

We are literally getting to the point where they are going to have to engrave, "Not To Be Used To Stab Eyeballs" on table forks. - JamesJM

I received a couple of nice trail maps that said the same thing. I laughed at the lame attempt to back away from any liability issues. Just why are they in the map making business if not to be used as a navigation aid? And let's remember, it's just an aid. You still have to make the common sense decisions needed to get there from here.

Cheers!

TL

somewhat odd legal disclaimers like these are in almost all instances brought about by someone bringing a case against one of the companies in a like profession.

-possible cases could be 'person sues mapmaker for not showing a riverbed as 'dry', or the reverse, it just rained and the 'dry riverbed' is now a rampaging river.

RX

Any deity worthy of a graven image can cobble up a working universe complete with fake fossils in under a week - hey, if you're not omnipotent, there's no real point in being a god. But to start with a big ball of elementary particles and end up with the duckbill platypus without constant twiddling requires a degree of subtlety and the ability to Think Things Through: exactly the qualities I'm looking for when I'm shopping for a Supreme Being.

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

quote:
Originally posted by TotemLake:

You still have to make the common sense decisions needed to get there from here.

Unfortunately, common sense has no place in our legal system.

If a map is NOT to be used as a navigational aid then what the heck is it for?

here, here geospotter!!! its getting pretty dadgum redicules when someone who buying a map would even think about holding the map maker liable for errors that are part of the process. dont all sorts of things affect topographical/geographical features? im thinking along the lines of weather, natural diasters, construction projects, and natural progression. unfortunately, those of us who know and accept the risk of venturing outdoors understand this but there must be some pretty dumb people running around...

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

I think we're dealing here with technical definitions.

navigation (nàv´î-gâ´shen) noun

Abbr. nav.

1. The theory and practice of navigating, especially the charting of a course for a ship or an aircraft.

2. Travel or traffic by vessels, especially commercial shipping.

I think Garmin wants to make sure you're not using their software for navigating a ship or plane. It should only be used for routing.

route (r¡t, rout) noun

Abbr. rte.

1. a. A road, course, or way for travel from one place to another. b. A highway.

2. A customary line of travel. See synonyms at way.

3. A fixed course or territory assigned to a salesperson or delivery person.

4. A means of reaching a goal.

Some pilots use their software to navigate their planes or boats. That's a no=no. It's a lot different than using their programs as maps for driving from one point to another.

Maybe a lawyer can add something to my theory.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I think we're dealing here with technical definitions.

navigation (nàv´î-gâ´shen) noun

....snip....

That may very well be the distinction they're trying to make, but isn't it ironic then that what the units says "Ready to navigate" when it has a good sat lock (but no active destination.) icon_biggrin.gif

-- Pneumatic

I dont think that anybody is going to hookup a GPS to the Steering Wheel, and Accelerator and brake, I really think that a real human should do the thinking and driving, so dont try to get your Dog or your Chimp to do the driving for you.

A GPS is just a rough idea where you are on a "MAP", and it is good for tracklogging.

Stupid errors and accidents lead toward disclaimers and legalities.

----------------------------------------------------------

Pictures of the insides of my Old GPS V

My Home Page about what is GPS

Strange

Animated_MiGO_A120.gif

If someone hasn't already done it, then someone will. Someone is going to try to drive a straight line drawn between them and their destination because that's the route their GPS drew on their moving map!!! If they survive when their car ends up totalled in a ravine somewhere, they will try to sue Garmin/Magellan.

Unfortunately, we must all have TOO MUCH common sense to compensate for the mullet-heads who have none! Personally, I think we should allow natural selection do its thing. In a couple hundred years, we're going to evolve into a society of retards! icon_rolleyes.gif

I'm not defending Garmin with my definition post about Navigation. But there is a difference. Many pilots of single engine planes use the same units we use to navigate their planes. They're nuts!

If you check Garmin's home page garmin.com, you'll see they have two different sections for their equipment. Consumer grade (our GPS's) and AVionics grade equipment made especially for navigating aircraft.

I believe that's the point Garmin is making. I doubt if they have the same disclaimer on the Avionics equipment.

Alan