eTrex and averaging?

Guest chriss

Guest chriss

Does the eTrex (the yellow one, the basic unit, not summit or vista . . .) do averaging? I keep reading about it in posts and on websites, but I don't know if my unit is capable. Since it is not clearly stated in the manual, I would assume not, but just wanted to know for sure.

Thanks

------------------

chriss

~~~~~~

Get a shot off _fast._ This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

-Lazarus Long

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by chriss:

Does the eTrex (the yellow one, the basic unit, not summit or vista . . .) do averaging?

No, none of the eTrexes have an averaging option. Maybe if we asked Gramin nicely they would add it in their next firmware upgrade for all eTrexes.

Even so, I suspect that the eTrex does a kind of short term averaging. It seems that, when you are standing still, it effectivly takes the last ten or so fixes (about one per second) and averages them (it's really a bit more complicated than this when you are moving; older samples probably have a lower weighting than newer ones). This gives you a more accurate position fix than simply using the last fix.

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest Silver

I think Garmin dropped the averaging feature after SA was turned off. Still, the averaging feature in the 12 series makes marking a cache location a bit easier.

Silver

I am pretty sure that most GPS units can only calculate position once per second. I have never seen a handheld consumer GPS that did it faster. I think the lack of averaging is just more of Garmin's simplified thinking when it comes to the eTrex line of units. I just bought a new GPSMAP 76 and it has waypoint averaging.

When I am using my eTrex (yellow one) and I need to mark an accurate waypoint I just mark 6-8 point seperated by 20-30 seconds between them. When I get home I average the points by hand. Far from optiomal, but it does seem to help a little.

mcb

Guest chriss

Thanks for the info.

------------------

chriss

~~~~~~

Get a shot off _fast._ This upsets him long enough to let you make your second shot perfect.

-Lazarus Long