MAPSOURCE ROADS AND RECREATION TIPS/HELP

falcon28

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

But "mapically", it's about the same thing.

True in Europe, but not for the US versions of these mapsets. Here MG is much more up-to-date than R&R and also has substantially more detail in how road curves, and especially freeway interchanges are shown. Another distinction is that MG supports automatic route calculation while R&R does not. (MG-USA will do this on both your PC and on the auto-routing GPS units - V and SP III; while MG-EUR only does it on the PC.)

Of course the drawback is that MG takes up much more memory space than R&R.

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

MG supports automatic route calculation while R&R does not. (MG-USA will do this on both your PC and on the auto-routing GPS units - V and SP III; while MG-EUR only does it on the PC.)

Of course the drawback is that MG takes up much more memory space than R&R.

Why are they delivering inferior products to us Europeans? Now I don't have any autorouting GPS anyway, but it seems unfair.

I know that R&R was primarily intended for units like the III+, with only 1.44 MB of memory.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Dawgies:

I luv it!

It's done everything I've needed to do thus far. Taken me to places I've never been and it works great with the GPS-V Turn-by-Turn navigation.

Good purchase! You won't regret it. icon_smile.gif

~Honest Value Never Fails~

R+R doesn't autoroute as far as I know only Metroguide. Although the Legend doesn't autoroute, Metro autoroute on the computer and you can transfer the route to the Legend. Metro also has the POI info and you can find street intersections and address in the GPS while R+R does not do that. Metro costs about $10 more than R+R so I would get Metro rather than R+R>

One thing R+R has that Metro (USA) does not and that streams. They only appear on R+R whoich might be important o you especialy if you don't have topo.

But that's another topic I believe icon_wink.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

MG supports automatic route calculation while R&R does not. (MG-USA will do this on both your PC and on the auto-routing GPS units - V and SP III; while MG-EUR only does it on the PC.)

Why are they delivering inferior products to us Europeans? Now I don't have any autorouting GPS anyway, but it seems unfair.

The difference stems from the origins of the maps. In the US, they all come from different places:

R&R is from the US Census Bureau TIGER database.

MG is from TeleAtlas (formerly ETAK) and starts with the TIGER maps but improves them in most populated areas with satellite data and some driving data. These maps are generally good enough for auto-routing but lack information on one-way streets and turn restrictions in some areas.

City Select/City Navigator are made by NavTech and have the best detail including better information on one-ways and turn restrictions than MG (although in some rural areas MG is a bit better).

However, in Europe the different map products all come from NavTech, which is why the basic map data is the same in R&R as in MG. NavTech also supplies maps to the expensive in-car navigation systems and wants to maintain high prices on maps that enable full navigation features, incl. auto-routing. But they also want to have lower cost options to expand the market for those who are willing to live without built-in auto-routing. So they differentiate their various map products by feature capabilities with CS/CN supporting auto-routing on the V/SPIII, MG supports it only on the PC, and R&R doesn't support it at all.