Mag315 accuracy after firmware upgrade

Guest bazooka

Guest bazooka

I recently upgraded my Mag315 firmware from v2.03 to v3.14. Prior to the upgrade and prior to SA being turned off, the EPE was usually around 20ft. After SA was turned off, EPE went down to 3ft. However, after the upgrade to v3.14, EPE is now back up to 20ft. Am I wrong in thinking that the accuracy should have at least stayed the same, not decreased? I have a copy of v2.05, should I roll-back to that? Should I re-run the installation of v3.14?

Any opinion/help/clarification would be appreciated,

Anthony

Guest arffer

I have also bumped my 315 up to 3.14. Works fine. An EPE of 3 feet is unrealistic. The EPE you are seeing now is much more in line with reality.

The BEST reason to keep 3.14 is that distances under .1 miles now display as feet. A wonderful feature when caching.

EPE's are generally a propriety calculation based on may things. From what I've seen of EPE's they appear to have been tuned to the state of the system which tends to suggest EPE is only a relative measure anyway for that unit.

What you saw may suggest that the EPE in the latest software version has been re-tuned for a system with SA set to 0?

Why don't manufacturers simply display the DOP value which actually has specifications and does mean something. SA or no SA.

I wouldn't be rolling back and I'm not even sure if that would be possible? Anybody else tried that one?

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest AZMark

Don't usually check EPE on my 315, but have not liked the new version of the software much. (except for the feet thing)Seems slow to track,,,,averages over way too long a period???

Hopefully Magellan will release one more update (hard to tell with new units out) that will give you the ability to toggel averageing on and off!!!! I know I've posted this way too many time,,,just hoping some Magellan Exec will read it!! and not make me go waste more money on another GPS.

Guest arffer

AZMark,

You are misunderstanding the averaging feature of the 315. It will average forever if you don't move or turn it off.

Once the 315 realizes you aren't moving (typically <2 mph) it will go into averaging mode AND STAY THERE untill its reasonably sure you are moving again.

The longer you wait, the more data points are computed and averaged. IMHO, averaging for over 2 minutes has minimal value.

Note sure what you mean by slow to track... slow to track what? Do you mean slow to lock? Slow on the track display?

quote:
Originally posted by AZMark:

Hopefully Magellan will release one more update (hard to tell with new units out) that will give you the ability to toggel averageing on and off!!!! I know I've posted this way too many time,,,just hoping some Magellan Exec will read it!! and not make me go waste more money on another GPS.

I agree, this hard wired auto averaging is way way past it's use by date and should be a user selectable option. AUTO OFF/ON and a User initiated average if and when required.

If as some say speed triggers it automatically then for argument sake one could keep it moving at less than whatever speed that may be and literally cover miles while the thing was still trying to average?

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest GeoForse

during the time that SA was on. Ideally, you should have seen no difference before and after SA was turned off.

Interestingly enough, however, there was one time, post SA, when my M315 read 0 feet EPE for about ten minutes while I was on the highway. I think the DoD made an error and really did give us the accuracy that is truly available... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 22 August 2001).]

Guest GeoForse

during the time that SA was on. Ideally, you should have seen no difference before and after SA was turned off.

Interestingly enough, however, there was one time, post SA, when my M315 read 0 feet EPE for about ten minutes while I was on the highway. I think the DoD made an error and really did give us the accuracy that is truly available... icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by GeoForse (edited 22 August 2001).]

Guest AZMark

Well maybe they don't have cactus in WI only cheese, but sometimes very hard to keep up 2 mi/hr on that final bushwack to the cache, so then the #$^@% thing starts averaging even tho I'm moving which means the Maggie will always show me quite a few feet ( sometimes I would guess 30-40) feet away from where I'm actually at. Unless I stop and let it catch up for maybe 45 seconds.

Grrrrr Gets to be a real pain, and has sent me over a rock face now twice, thinking it was down only to get there and the thing tells me to go back up!!!!

Magellan!!!! Help us out,,,just a quickie rewrite and I'll promise to buy all your map CD's and promote Magellan and Geocaching to even more people than I already have!!!

Guest arffer

quote:
Well maybe they don't have cactus in WI only cheese, but sometimes very hard to keep up 2 mi/hr on that final bushwack to the cache, so then the #$^@% thing starts averaging even tho I'm moving which means the Maggie will always show me quite a few feet ( sometimes I would guess 30-40) feet away from where I'm actually at. Unless I stop and let it catch up for maybe 45 seconds.

I apologize for a few weeks back when I said I could see no purpose in Magellan adding the option to turn off averaging. I never thought of your above point.

Some of the strange things that have happened on hunts now is obvious.

In fact, I now have to re-think my whole concept of averaging. When placing a cache, I think its excellent; but when doing so, I turn off the GPSR, turn it back on, average for 2 minutes, then repeat the process say 5 times. In this manner, there is no false 'error' caused by my slow walking.

As I now see it, averaging caused by slow walking acts like a backwards drag on your position. Since the place you just WERE a couple of seconds ago is part of the average, the GPSR will always think you are short of the waypoint until it catches up.

Again, I apologize for a couple of weeks ago, you were right, I was dense. Where's that petition to Magellan?