Which Map software program do you use, MapSend, Delorme etc..

Hello there I'm a total newbie here and was wondering what software do you use with your GPS? I'm planning on buying a Magellan Meridian Platinum, I would like to buy it from thegpsstore.com but seems they are out of stock..bummer..so I'm looking else where to buy it..But my question is what software do you use may it be street or TOPO ..I'm a bit new so not sure exactly how they work..but would like to know what you use. At thegpsstore.com they have combo packages where they include a 32 MB datacard and a software package either TOPO or Mapsend Streets..How good is MapSend? There are several other software programs like Fugawi, Delorme and I'm sure a few more that arn't sold there..

Which of these do you guys use or recommend or stay away from, I'm going to use it mainly for GeoCaching..

Thanks!

Only MapSend and MapSend TOPO will load maps to your Meridian. The advantage to the Meridian is that you can get large memory cards and load large/many maps on it.

If your looking to manage waypoints and tracks there are many good programs out there.

As for packages. You should look for memory cards sold seporatly. The prices for cards on the GPS sites are very expensive. Even in the packages. You can type "SD card" in yahoo search, than click on stores to find many listings.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Garmin makes units (Vista and 76S) that have similar features as the Platinum 9on-board magnetic compass and barometric altimeter). The Vista has a patch antenna which is not as god as the 76S and Platinumin heavy tree cover but is much smaller in dimensions.

Whichever unit you decide on you might want to get the manufacturer's map programs first. As Leatherman mentioned, only these can be loaded in to their units. Once you've played with it a while, then you can decide which third party map software you may want if any. For example, I have a Vista with Garmin;s Mapsource for Topo and Road and Recreation for detailed street info. I subsequently bought National Geographic Topo but frankly I don't use it all that often. I do use the Mapsource programs a lot however.

Good luck on whatever you decide. Like most things of this nature, once you have it you'll probably swear it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Alan

I have both Street Atlas, and MetroGuide. I use MetroGuide pretty much only for the upload-able maps, and Street Atlas for plotting caches and creating driving routes. The newest MetroGuide does routing, but the interface is difficult to use, compared to Street Atlas. And Street Atlas will interface with G7ToWin, which is really cool.

PS_sig.gif

I just wanted to say thank you to all of you that replied to my post! I bought the MapSend Topo..hmmm this has streets on it! I couldn't find my street locally when I first turned on my Platinum but after loading the Topo map there it was!!

One thing though, do you guys use a SD card reader to upload your maps or do you upload them directly into your GPS from the computer? The reason I ask is the MapSend software only does 19200 max baud! I couldn't get it to 115k, I could set the GPS unit to 115k but not the software program..any ideas? I also used EasyGPS and that's pretty cool..still trying to figure out how that one works..but that can upload files at 57k..why can't MapSend. Hmm..

Anyways thanks for replying!!

Bakahead

I have been using the reader since I got the gold (I actually bought the reader before the card). I never used the serial port to download to the meridian since I knew how much of a pain it was with my 330. With a card reader you can also have several map sets on one card, you can change the maps on the GPSr.

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

Create the region as normal, but have the GPS shut of or not connected to the computer, this should cause the uplaod to fail. After that go to c/programfiles/magellan/mapsend(topo or streets)/exports then copy the file "maps" (img) to the SD card, this should contain up to four regions. If you want one region you can also go into images and copy the region to the card.

You can then change the name of the file (try to keep the 8.3 format though).

Wyatt W.

Any one know how to get rid of my avator?

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by Bakahead:

I couldn't get it to 115k, I could set the GPS unit to 115k but not the software program..any ideas?

Bakahead

I use Mapsend Streets on a Windows XP Home Edition computer with a Meridian Marine. I am able to upload my maps using 115k baud, however, uploading and downloading waypoints will only work at a maximum of 19200.

If you just purchased a Meridian line or SportTrak line GPS, along with MS Topo or MS Streets and Destinations, you're eligible for a rebate. Fifty bucks should buy a large card or a decent card writer. (Which one? icon_confused.gif)

-Craig/TeamCNJC

... Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--

I took off through the thorns, chest high, ...

If you just purchased a Meridian line or SportTrak line GPS, along with MS Topo or MS Streets and Destinations, you're eligible for a rebate. Fifty bucks should buy a large card or a decent card writer. (Which one? icon_confused.gif)

-Craig/TeamCNJC

The FAQs posted on the Magellan web site show that there's an option to directly upload to an SD card. Does anybody know which version of MapSend you need to make this happen? Also, are there updates to the MapSend program (not data) anywhere?

Thanks,

-Craig/TeamCNJC

Mapsend Streets and destinations allow the user to send data to the card. I can't rember if you can have multible sets on the card or not. it may allow it as long as you rename the previous file. If not the method I described earlier will work (this it what I do anyways).

Wyatt W.