How To Upload new firmware

Guest Jude from New Brunswick

Hello,I have a question that might be a little silly,but here go.I would like to learn on how to download/upload new firmware into my GPS?I have a Magellan 315 and downloaded the new V 3.12 from a thread on this sight.I would like to know where you connect in the back of the PC?also will the PC find the correct comm port by itself?Then how to prepare the GPS for it?I have the cable,the PC,GPS and the updated version V3.12 in the PC ready to go.Thank very much for your cooperation and hope to hear from you soon.

JuDe

Guest thepuck

quote:
Originally posted by Jude from New Brunswick:

Hello,I have a question that might be a little silly,but here go.I would like to learn on how to download/upload new firmware into my GPS?I have a Magellan 315 and downloaded the new V 3.12 from a thread on this sight.I would like to know where you connect in the back of the PC?also will the PC find the correct comm port by itself?Then how to prepare the GPS for it?I have the cable,the PC,GPS and the updated version V3.12 in the PC ready to go.Thank very much for your cooperation and hope to hear from you soon.

JuDe

JuDe,

1. It?s as simple as connecting the 9-pin cable to a serial (com) port on the rear of your PC.

1. MAKE SURE TO HAVE FRESH BATTERIES INSTALLED BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER! icon_frown.gif

1. Then connect the proprietary 4-pin connector to the GPS.

4. With your PC already turned on, turn the GPS on as well and go to the setup menu and choose the Baud Rate. Set the Baud Rate to 9600.

5. Now run the ?magup.exe? file & select ?yes? and it will automatically search for the correct com port and Baud Rate. It should now start the updating process. icon_smile.gif

6. Do not disconnect the GPS from the cable while the GPS is ON. eek.gif

Here is a great program to use with the M315: http://www.carmine.demon.co.uk/315/MagWay.zip

Here?s another one:

http://www.topografix.com/products/panterra/PanTerra3_2_2.zip

------------------

LEP

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 03-21-2001).]

Guest thepuck

quote:

JuDe

JuDe,

1. It?s as simple as connecting the 9-pin cable to a serial (com) port on the rear of your PC.

1. MAKE SURE TO HAVE FRESH BATTERIES INSTALLED BEFORE GOING ANY FURTHER! icon_frown.gif

1. Then connect the proprietary 4-pin connector to the GPS.

4. With your PC already turned on, turn the GPS on as well and go to the setup menu and choose the Baud Rate. Set the Baud Rate to 9600.

5. Now run the ?magup.exe? file & select ?yes? and it will automatically search for the correct com port and Baud Rate. It should now start the updating process. icon_smile.gif

6. Do not disconnect the GPS from the cable while the GPS is ON. eek.gif

Here is a great program to use with the M315: http://www.carmine.demon.co.uk/315/MagWay.zip

Here?s another one:

http://www.topografix.com/products/panterra/PanTerra3_2_2.zip

------------------

LEP

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 03-21-2001).]

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by thepuck:

I'll go a long with all that thepuck said apart from one little thing - I'm sure I read somewhere (on Magellan's site as I was doing the download ?) to use the baud rate set to 4800 - not sure why that should make a difference but they do after all make the darn thing cool.gif

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 03-21-2001).]

Guest thepuck

be sure of, is that the first time I flashed the GPS whether it was still using the default setting of 4800 or my new setting of 9600. icon_biggrin.gif

The ?magup.exe? file will actually do a complete check on each com port for speeds from 1200 to 19200bps and select the setting you?ve made on the GPS. icon_wink.gif

------------------

LEP

Guest thepuck

be sure of, is that the first time I flashed the GPS whether it was still using the default setting of 4800 or my new setting of 9600. icon_biggrin.gif

The ?magup.exe? file will actually do a complete check on each com port for speeds from 1200 to 19200bps and select the setting you?ve made on the GPS. icon_wink.gif

------------------

LEP

Guest thepuck

I just found what JasonW might have read. It?s here: http://www.magellangps.com/PDFs/v10.pdf

Under Baud Rates it states:

?This protocol can be implemented at any baud rate.

For reasons dealing with the internal priority structure of the software inside most Magellan consumer GPS units, in normal mode this protocol will work best at 4800 baud. If the unit is put into transfer mode with the TON (see below) command higher baud rates are possible.?

TON = Turn on transfer mode (for support of higher baud rates)

I don't recall a transfer mode switch. eek.gif

After posting this I'm going to go through the 315 and see if I can find it. If I turned the TON, I sure don't recall it... but 9600 does in fact work.

------------------

LEP

Guest thepuck

Well, I believe I've looked at every possible screen and still didn't see anything remotely like TON. Anyone else care to give it a try? icon_wink.gif

------------------

LEP

Guest thepuck

Well, I believe I've looked at every possible screen and still didn't see anything remotely like TON. Anyone else care to give it a try? icon_wink.gif

------------------

LEP

Guest scott

This is automatic. If you set it to 9600 baud, the transfer mode takes a higher priority than the rest of the processing going on. There was some gotcha with the early versions, but I honestly can't remember what it was. I just did the 3.12 (from 1.03) upgrade at 4800 and it worked just fine.

-scott

Well I did what you fellows suggested and at no luck I could not upload that new version.When came to and entered the "auto" command,it ask to upload,I said "yes" the screen came for to find the com port and it kept rolling to diferent baud rate and serching all the time so I aborted the proceeder.Maybe you guys might know some body who as uploaded the v3.12 succesfully.

Guest thepuck

quote:

Well I did what you fellows suggested and at no luck I could not upload that new version.When came to and entered the "auto" command,it ask to upload,I said "yes" the screen came for to find the com port and it kept rolling to diferent baud rate and serching all the time so I aborted the proceeder.Maybe you guys might know some body who as uploaded the v3.12 succesfully.

JuDe,

I have successfully flashed my 315 twice now. Just the way I described above.

------------------

LEP

Guest cache_ninja

my 315 is still v2.02

has anyone here noticed any improvement, or difference at all, after upgrading to , well, really anything above v2.02?

i'm curious if I should bother getting the

30$, i'm pretty happy with the unit now...

c/n

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by cache_ninja:

my 315 is still v2.02

has anyone here noticed any improvement, or difference at all, after upgrading to , well, really anything above v2.02?

c/n

The 3.12 (and the 3.07) upgrades are free.... the 3.05 wasn't for whatever reason.

quote:
Originally posted by thepuck:

JuDe,

I have successfully flashed my 315 twice now. Just the way I described above.

I would like a detail step by step Puck.Like me what I did unplug my mouse and plug the GPS in that port.Maybe I should start back my PC with the GPS on !!!Set might GPS to Baudrate 4800.I don't know more !!!

qwerty@nb.sympatico.ca Email me.

JuDe

quote:

my 315 is still v2.02

c/n

It a free download staight from the www.magellangps.com site.

JuDe

quote:

my 315 is still v2.02

c/n

Sorry wrong add for the web sight.Anyway go to magellan web sight.

JuDe

Guest JasonW

quote:

Like me what I did unplug my mouse and plug the GPS in that port.

Jude

very possible that your PC still has the mouse driver loaded and that this is impeding the MAGUP application from using the COM port properly.

Well worth a try rebooting your machine with no mouse plugged in.

Jason

Guest LoRez

My 315 is on FW ver. 2.03. Like cache_ninja, I'm wondering what specific advantages would I gain by updating to the latest firmware? Is it worth the expense of the data cable? Even more important to me, will I lose all of the user landmarks and routes that I have stored?

Guest peter

If you're concerned about keeping your waypoints and routes safe, then I'd urge you to get the PC data cable anyway so you can back them up. That's always a good idea before doing a software upgrade although on my Garmins the upgrades have retained the waypoints. There was one upgrade that included increasing the number of routes from one to 50 that did wipe out the stored route.

Guest thepuck

quote:
Originally posted by LoRez:

My 315 is on FW ver. 2.03. Like cache_ninja, I'm wondering what specific advantages would I gain by updating to the latest firmware? Is it worth the expense of the data cable? Even more important to me, will I lose all of the user landmarks and routes that I have stored?

LoRez & cache_ninja,

I would suggest both of you visit the V3.12 Description page to find what possible gains you might get with this upgrade. My advice is for you to read over the revision description in v3.12 (3.08-3.11), and decide if the upgrade would be beneficial to each of you.

Here is another site -MAGELLAN 315- that Confucious mentioned in an earlier post you might want check out.

------------------

LEP

Sometimes I hate links icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 03-22-2001).]

Guest thepuck

quote:
Originally posted by LoRez:

LoRez & cache_ninja,

I would suggest both of you visit the V3.12 Description page to find what possible gains you might get with this upgrade. My advice is for you to read over the revision description in v3.12 (3.08-3.11), and decide if the upgrade would be beneficial to each of you.

Here is another site -MAGELLAN 315- that Confucious mentioned in an earlier post you might want check out.

------------------

LEP

Sometimes I hate links icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by thepuck (edited 03-22-2001).]

Guest Confucious

Hey fellows

this is my experience with upgrades.You always end up learning something new about something else.That's good.If the upgrade is beneficial to you go ahead and upload it.But if you want to upload because you would like to have the latest version,your going to earn that version.Like I said ,there is always something unpredictable that will happen to the equipement that you are using like a not perfect match that you will have you working a couple of days for an end result,whitch is an updated version, and at the end of it all,the results will not be worst it. You will learn how something else works for to have something work in an another way.If your version has work for you well in these pass few years and the version specifications upgrade are to accomadate some lord knowes whats thaaaaaaat,stay with your faithful version,regardless of how small the number is.

Confusious

Hey GeoCachers

I would like to take this chance and to thank you all that send a comment on how to do the upgrade.Special thanks,to a newly made friend,thepuck,who help me,tooth and nail,with this and like confucious said,you will earn that upgrade.Again thank you very much.

JuDe WGS84 47º03.870N 067º41.271W