Garmin rino 120

JoeRadio

Got my rino 120 on Thurday (Halloween), what a great combination, GPS and radio icon_cool.gif. The rino uses no turning knobs for the radio making it a bit different to turn the volume up and down, but it is easy to get used to. The GPS is very versitle and pretty accurate. Made my first 4 finds today with it. What Fun!! icon_biggrin.gif If you have questions about it let me know, I'll try to answer them.

JoeN,

Thanks in advance for answering some questions. I'm planning to buy a 120 and a 110, and having read the on-line user's manual I have two q's:

Does the 120 do waypoint averaging when you mark a new waypoint?

The book says you can view the other Rino's path on your Rino. Does it capture the whole track log, or just the one point you're at when you transmit?

falcon28

If you can think of something specific about the rino, I will do my best to get you an answer icon_smile.gif. I used one of them alone this weekend and found the GPS to be pretty accurate (found 5 caches Sat afternoon icon_biggrin.gif), probably not as accurate as more complex (and expen$ive) GPSs, but is a nice intigration of radio and GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by Goodguys:

I don't know enough about GPSs to give you an good answer icon_confused.gif, I couldn't find it in the manual. If you explain 'waypoint averaging' I will check it out.

quote:
Does it capture the whole track log, or just the one point you're at when you transmit?

I haven't used them together yet, but, I am very sure the complete logs are not sent in the data information, just long, lat and a waypoint lable. The data is sent when the PTT is pressed or the special button for sending location data is pressed. icon_razz.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Goodguys:

It doesn't look like it but I didn't specifically test it.

quote:

The book says you can view the other Rino's path on your Rino. Does it capture the whole track log, or just the one point you're at when you transmit?

It posts other Rino paths as dotted lines. I compared the tracks on my two Rinos and it appears to base the tracks on the locations sent by the other Rino. So if they're running in a circle and only transmit to you a few times, the circle is not going to be very round. icon_wink.gif On the other hand if they're traveling in a rather straight line or they transmit often, it would be a more true track.

Thanks for your replies, JoeN and st_r.

Joe, when you mark a waypoint, rather than capture the GPS location at the instant you press MARK, with averaging the GPS takes the average of its readings over time (as long as you are willing to wait), giving you a more accurate location.

Another question: I didn't see in the manual a way to enable WAAS. Is it always on?

Thanks again.