GPScomparison

Guest go4hockey

Guest go4hockey

I am going to buy my first GPS and I need some help on deciding between the eTrex (yellow) and the eTrex Venture. It would be nice to have mapping functions, which I understand now that the Yellow does not have, but does the Venture have enough to warrent me spending an extra 50 or 60 dollars on? Must tell you that unfortuently I have to keep the cost down so these are about my only choices.

Guest bob_renner

The Venture does not have any mapping functions. It has a city database which I believe is a set of waypoints for the center of cities, and the capability of loading points of interest from a CDROM. For mapping you need to step up to the Legend or Vista. A big advantage of the Venture/Legend/Vista is the improved resolution of the screen. You need to go to a store that can demo the various models and check out the features yourself.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 01 August 2001).]

Guest BigDoggie

Be sure to check out the Magellan 315 as well. Among other things, it has a better antenna which allows it to pick up better under tree cover. Also has a nice automatic averaging feature.

Amazon.com just reduced this one by $10 to $140, and you can get a $10 amazon coupon and maybe a Magellan $20 rebate (the coupon I have expired 7/31, but they seem to issue new ones as soon as the last expired.)

Guest White Rabbit

I just got the Magellan 315 yesterday, but no rebate icon_frown.gif It's a great GPS and I had no problem finding where abouts my first cache was. I noticed that it's pretty user friendly and has a great easy to use interface. But, my opinions probably don't mean anything since I've only had my GPS for a day now (but I did find my first Cache!! It was great fun).

Guest White Rabbit

I just got the Magellan 315 yesterday, but no rebate icon_frown.gif It's a great GPS and I had no problem finding where abouts my first cache was. I noticed that it's pretty user friendly and has a great easy to use interface. But, my opinions probably don't mean anything since I've only had my GPS for a day now (but I did find my first Cache!! It was great fun).