Garmin GPS 72

BigDawg

I new to GPS. I got this new one and the manuals are a joke when it comes to telling you how to use it for a newbie. Can anyone recommend a book or a website that will help me understand it more clearly. Ive got the basics (I think). I want to use it for "back tracking" when I'm on the ocean or unfamiliar lakes when I'm on my Jetski, and for Geocaching. Thanks in advance.

Keith

I share your enthusiasm about the owner's manual. The inability of most folks to sit and decipher what they need to know about their GPSR from the book, is why I am able to charge $20 an hour to teach folks how to use the GPSR they just bought from me! After they spend a night or two confusing themselves, they call me and hire me for an hour (or 2 or 3 or 7) to "show" them how it works! Doing a backtrack is pretty easy. You need to first "save" a tracklog. Hopefully you cleared the tracklog before your journey. After saving it, you can then select it and one of the options will be to do a backtrack. You can repeat the tracklog from front to back or reverse it. It will "condense" your track log somewhat, removeing some of the more minor turns you made. Overall they are pretty good at moving you through the same terrain you went through the first time. Don't expect it to put you right on top of your previous footprints though.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

On a general note, keep playing with it. No, the manual does not tell all. When on a screen, press the menu button and look for submenus, then look again for more submenus.

On saving a track, I think the 72 will give you options of how far back to save; all day, since last turned on, etc. But it is best to clear your tracks before you set out on a journey that you may or may not want to save.

4497_300.jpg

Thanks guys. I went out on a Geocaching adventure today. I'm starting to get the hang of it.(a little) I usually can figure stuff out in no time if I have a good manual. The manual that came with my Garmin unit is joke. Beside here, is there a usenet group out there?

Keith T