eTrex basic and a laptop

Guest ice

Does anyone know if you can connect a eTrex (the base model) to a laptop that has a mapping program and the eTrex send the data to the laptop to show your position on the map program? Has anyone done this? Which cable is needed?

Thanks

Guest geoark1

I use bothe the e-trex basic and the summit with my lap top and it works GREAT the cable is the standard data cable. The one I use has a cig plug that powers the gps while in operation saves the batteries. I use the Garmin Mapsource the latest upgrade allows it to be used with the gps as a moving map. I download my waypoints on the map then follow the roads to the best spot to start the hunt. Again it works great.

Guest HomeChicken

now I don't have the base eTrex but I do have the legend and the mapsource CD which will show you where you are and track along the map thats installed on my computer if I were to move. I think I had to upgrade the mapsource software before I noticed this feature like also the set the PC clock to the atomic time according to the GPS

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--Chicken

Guest WaylandersMA

A basic yellow Etrex can also be hooked up to a Macintosh portable and use on-board maps etc..

GPSy or MacGPS Pro for the Macintosh will do it. You can use a KeySpan adapter to use a USB connection on the newer Imac/Titaniums.