3.12 or ??? I need an answer!

Okay, enough of the smalltalk...I want to hear it from someone who KNOWS...I have the MeriPlat and was thinking of upgrading the software. Is one version more "accurate" with coords than the other? Also, when zoomed in on the map screens, my cursor puts me off the road I am supposed to be on by about 30 feet, everywhere I go. Does the newer software version solve this slightly annoying problem of map "offset"?

I think you might be stuck with your cursor shown off the road. That is an issue with the Mapsend maps, not the unit itself (usually).

Some areas of the US are worse than others.

Think about it though, usually, a two lane road is only about 20-25ft wide. So.....when they put a road on the map, are they measuring from the left side, right side, or center lane?....If they are measuring from one side, there ya go, you could be off by that much, always on the same side... icon_smile.gif And if the surveyors use the smae side/method over a whole area, there ya go... icon_biggrin.gif

I think 3.12 seems to be the most bug free and safe firmware to use. At least there were never as many people having issues with it like with 4.02 or 4.03. Also, until VERY recently, 3.12 was the most recent "official" version posted on Magellans website. They now have 4.03 up, and I'm not even sure they ever had 4.02 up on the site....

4.02 seemed to work GREAT for me. I've only been using 4.03 for about a month now, and I think I'm having accuracy issues. Also seems to lock MUCH slower. I've also had a couple of times where my unit wouldnt work or stay powered on with 4.03.

I think I might try reinstalling 4.03 soon, and see if it makes a difference.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

Also, until VERY recently, 3.12 was the most recent "official" version posted on Magellans website. They now have 4.03 up, and I'm not even sure they ever had 4.02 up on the site....

I just came from the Magellan web site and the OFFICIAL version is still 4.02 and has been for several months.

I have used 4.02 from the time it came out with no problems at all, however some people have had nothing but trouble with it?? It might be how you load it, but I'm really not sure on that. I just followed the instructions to the letter, fired it up and have been a happy cacher from then on...

Bob

Where are we going?......And WHY am I in this handbasket???

[This message was edited by 1pilot on May 04, 2003 at 07:19 PM.]

Version 4.02 is the latest official release but 4.06 is also out there. I started with 3.12 and it worked great. Upgraded to 4.02 when it came out and was plagued with problems from poor reception to extremely slow updates not to mention the pointer would point 180 degrees the wrong way much of the time. I reverted back to 3.12 and all was well again. When 4.06 became available I upgraded to it and all is well again. Whatever version you use I’d suggest installing it in expert mode. As for not staying on the road that is the maps in mapsend not your gps. I spoke with Magellan the other day and was assured they are working on new maps for mapsend, which will fix this problem, and they hope to release it later this year

I upgraded to 4.02 and have no problems with it. As others have said, the accuracy seems to have a lot to do with where you are, in my area (Northern CA) it seems to be as accurate as I could ask for. I don't have a problem with being 10'/20' off once in awhile.

It seems that when ever folks upgrade to a new firmware version, some will have problems with locking on or accuracy, no matter if they are going to 3.12, 4.02 or 4.06...I suspect that at least some of this comes from the differences that occur day to day with reception and other oddities with the satellites and then blaming it on the upgrade. Also the install must be done to the letter, including the clearing of memory at the end and setting it outside for 1/2 hour to build an almanac.

I do recommend that you follow the advice given about doing the upgrade in expert mode, just to avoid any problems.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I also have 4.02 and it works great for me, the cursor is a little bit off of the road, but you would not be able to see your bread crumb tracks if it was a direct over lay of the road.

The ToPo satellite software is old, and you don't need to be precisely/spot on the map. This is not a bomb run on Baghdad. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by MikeStammer:

I just got a Meridian Color and it shipped with 4.02. I only saw 4.01 on their site for download at http://www.meridiangps.com. Is there another place to look for updates?

The most recent [unofficial] releases are usually posted in the Yahoo Meridian group file section. Older firmwares are often available at The Site Whose Name Must Not Be Mentioned.

I went from 3.12 to 4.02 to 4.06 with no real problems (the chicken tracks on turns presented with 4.02). My general advice is to go ahead and give 'em a try to see how they work for you, so long as you know you can return to whatever you're starting with...it's as easy/hard to go backwards as forwards.

I agree with Steve that while some people may encounter genuine firmware problems, I think many also blame the firmware unjustly. I also think problems are reported much more frequently on the boards than successes, because there's an entirely different motivation level to communicate one's experiences...when it's working, you don't need to fix it.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

My unit came with 3.12 installed and a CD to upgrade to 4.06 I now use 4.06 with no problems. Here's a list of up grades for 4.06 1. supports Mapsend World Wide and Blue Nav. 2.Added features to show object description on map or database. 3. Added feature for the database listing so that it will change the 1st char. to the next or previous alphabet if the ZOOMIN or ZOOMOUT key is pressed. 4. Added "Advanced" NAV Units selc. 5. Added a "Format Card" option to card utilities. 6. Added a feature to draw a second line from current position to destination after an "GOTO" or "route" is activated. 7. Added max speed and average speed to nav. data customization options. 8.Added ability to search nearest to any object. 9. Fixed problems with waypoint projection with primary datum not set to WGS84. 10. Fixed track history collection bug. 11. Fix problem with waypoints projection when distances less than 0.10miles/nm/km 12. Added warning messages when trying to save current position to a waypoint before first fix or the fix is 2D in auto mode. 13. Some improvements were made to map drawing. Hope this info help

Eremite may not be real smart, and this question is really rather pointless. All the same -

I have on my MeriPlat all the abovementioned features (attributed to 4.06), however I'm using the 4.02 firmware, vice 4.06. Also, on the Magellan website the abovementioned features are listed under the 4.02 firmware upgrade.

Now, always wanting to be on the cutting edge, does 4.06 actually have something more to offer? Or is there simply a naming mix up at play here? 'Cos if there's a 4.06 out there, by god, I need it!!!

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." -Galileo Galilei.

"The indoor life is the next best thing to premature burial." -Edward Abbey

Just got a MeriGold - it came with 4.06 - can't comment on previous versions but absolutely no complaints so far. Laid it side by side with my old Mag 315 (with the latest firmware) - no comparison - the MeriGold stabilized in under a minute - the Mag 315 wandered around for 5 minutes and then stabilized. The comforting thing was that once stabilized the fixes were identical. Took them in doors and there the difference was obvious - the 315 couldn't get a fix (ground floor - 2 story house) - the Gold could. So I'm pretty confident if the 315 found the first 100 caches the Gold will find the next 100 icon_wink.gif

Well, I uploaded the 4.06 version into my MeriPlat and I have to tell you, I went to find 3 caches today and was WAAAAY off....the EPE jumped up to around 50-60 feet, sometimes hitting over 100'...I even went to test it on my own cache, and wasn't even close, I ended up about 200' away...

Back to 3.12 for me...I had EPE at 7-10' when I was using that version, and it took me right to the cache coords...finicky unit, I guess...

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions, all....

Voila! I went back to 3.12 and tried it out on my cache...DEAD ON, and I mean DEAD ON! That, plus I had a lock on 7 sats the whole time, which were locked in under 30 seconds after I powered it up, and EPE was back down to 7-10 feet all the time...wow...

If the upgrade is working for you, then stick with it. I can't say why, but for some people it works, others not. For one reason or another, it threw my Platinum way off..and yes, I was in a clear field, unit re-initialized, compass calibrated, bla bla bla...when I went back to the 3.12 version, the accuracy really did blow me away, it was so DEAD ON...also, with the 4.06 version, I only locked on 5 sats, with the 3.12 I had 7 locked in instantly...I would take a look at the EPE numbers you are getting with the current version, if you aren't down to about 10', maybe you should consider going back to 3.12. (Now I KNOW the EPE numbers aren't exactly 100% accurate, it is ESTIMATED, after all, but it shouldn't be 50-60 or 100+ feet, like what I was getting with the 4.06 version today, that's just ridiculous). After all, you can always switch back and forth in the software. I downloaded the 3.12 version from the Magellan Meridian group on Yahoo...I would post the link for you, but I don't know how to yet.

On my MeriPlat I've got version 4.02. Usually, I have about 10' EPE with it, and 9-11 sats. Every once in a while though (maybe once a week), I do notice that for roughly 30mins to 2 hours my EPE can jump up to 168'. I read on the Coast Guard site something about accuracy being on and off now. (Can't find the link now, had something to do with the simulated terrorist thing I think.) I'd just attributed it to that. I had to upgrade my firmware to be able to download maps/waypoints, I wan't able to with the old version. With 3.12 are you able to?

Thanks