Any mapping software or web sites that accepts (lat,lon)?

Guest noah

Guest noah

I have a large set of coordinates (900 points) that I want to plot on a street map. For each (lat,lon) point I want to generate a map in some standard image format (GIF or JPEG).

I used to use Microsoft's Expedia.com map web site. They had a CGI that I could easily hack with a script. My script would take a set of coordinates and return with a set of GIF image maps. This was great, until Microsoft changed their web page so that the CGI interface did not accept direct lat/lon requests. I have found no other map web sites that allow direct lat,lon requests.

I used to make neat map animations this way. Using an eTrex and a laptop I would record my position every two seconds. Later on I could watch the trip animated on a map. Since Expedia.com would center my position on the map, it was the entire map that would move rather than my little star on the map.

Yours,

Noah

Guest tnunnery

I just started using PanTerra and have found it to be quite good. Now if Geocaching.com could talk directly to it to exchange waypoints...

Guest scott

I don't mean to turn this into a Panterra cheering section, but I have been using Panterra (demo) for quite awhile. I finally bought the latest version and then upgraded to Dan's ExpertGPS. WOW! I downloaded a 600 mile track from my gps and the program downloaded the maps that the track covered. I have to admit 600 miles of maps dang near killed my computer, but when I cut the track down to a reasonable size it worked great!

Here is a screen capture of a section of the track that I singled out. ExpertGPS did the mapping with one click. I changed the name of the picture so I don't give away the fishing hole! icon_smile.gif

http://www.allsop.org/noname.gif

-scott

Guest scott

I don't mean to turn this into a Panterra cheering section, but I have been using Panterra (demo) for quite awhile. I finally bought the latest version and then upgraded to Dan's ExpertGPS. WOW! I downloaded a 600 mile track from my gps and the program downloaded the maps that the track covered. I have to admit 600 miles of maps dang near killed my computer, but when I cut the track down to a reasonable size it worked great!

Here is a screen capture of a section of the track that I singled out. ExpertGPS did the mapping with one click. I changed the name of the picture so I don't give away the fishing hole! icon_smile.gif

http://www.allsop.org/noname.gif

-scott

Mapblast will accept lat/lon if you go to the advanced page. You can find it at www.mapblast.com. I use it to make directions between caches when we will be hitting more than one cache on a trip. Just enter the two sets of coordinates and it will give you directions between the two. It's been pretty good but you should check the sanity of the directions all the same.