Any experience with Garmin MapSource and MetroGuide?

Guest Beginner

Guest Beginner

Does anyone know of a review of the Garmin MapSource and MetroGuide software? We think we want to buy a Vista, but want to figure out if we can use it for driving directions as well as for caching. So we need to find out how the MapSource and MetroGuide software work. For example, can you enter an origin and a destination expressed in terms of street addresses (not lat and long) and then get detailed, turn-by-turn directions from the origin to the destination in map and text formats? In other words, does the Garmin software work like the Rand McNally Streetfinder software? I have not been able to find a detailed enough description of the software on the Garmin web site to answer this kind of question. I am trying to avoid downloading the 1.3M software manual. If anyone has any experience with this software, or can steer me to another forum that would be more appropriate for this question, I would be grateful for your help. Thanks.

Guest Quinnow

Well I own both the mapsource and the vista and I don't believe that its going to give you turn by turn info if thats what you are looking for. I haven't had the vista long enough to go through and test all the functions. But your best bet would be to contact Garmin's tech support for all your answers, though this board is a great source as well...good luck in your answer!

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest ALacy

I have mapsource which I use with my Garmin III+. You can create waypoints (by clicking on map or feeding in lat/long), you can create routes by clicking and draging, you can print maps, you can pick counties to load into the GPS. You can retreive waypoints, routes, tracks from the GPS, but you can't give it addreses and have it create routes. Now I have used www.mapsonus.com to calculate a route, it can show lat/long, then I cut and paste those into mapsource.

Guest peter

MapSource is needed to download detailed maps into Garmin GPS units. Although it does have some additional functions (upload/download waypoints, manually create routes, etc.), I have found that there are generally other programs, many of them free, that do those functions better. MapSource does not support any automatic routing with MetroGuide maps - you need to manually select each turn on the route and then upload it to your GPS.

What I use for automatic routing is DeLorme's Street Atlas program which does do automatic end-end routing and also supports automated upload to Garmin and some other GPSs.

Another option is to use a web routing utility, like www.mapsonus.com, and then use software like GPSUtility to upload the calculated route to your GPS.

Guest IronHelix

routes, address lookup, and stuff like that are part of the GPS, not the software.

MapSource/metroguide ONLY will transfer metroguide maps, waypoints, etc. What the GPS does with them is up to it.

For example, I own a StreetPilot Colormap and a eTrex Vista.

Both got the exact same upload from the exact same CD. However, the SP can find addresses, intersections, cities, etc while the Vista cannot.

The Metroguide data is excellent, and I recommend it to anyone who has a Garmin GPS and some free memory.

You just need to make sure you get the GPS with the features you want. Chances are the eTrex isnt it. Check out the Garmin eMap... this has the features you want.

Guest peter

TE>quote:

Originally posted by IronHelix:

For example, I own a StreetPilot Colormap and a eTrex Vista.

Both got the exact same upload from the exact same CD. However, the SP can find addresses, intersections, cities, etc while the Vista cannot.

Your Vista certainly should be able to find addresses, intersections, cities, waypoints, exits, and 'points-of-interest' if you have loaded map data from MetroGuide. Use the 'Find' page on the Vista. OTOH, if you loaded Roads & Recreation or Topo map data, then you would only be able to find cities, exits, and waypoints - but this is true of the SP as well when loaded with R&R or Topo maps.

Guest IronHelix

wow... im an idiot. The Vista can do the same searches as the SP.

However I would still recommend the eMap if you want it in the car too... much bigger / better display.