Software for MeriGold

Guest loubob57

Guest loubob57

I need to get some MapSend software to use with my MeriGold. I've got a 64MB SD card in it and used the MapSend Streets software from a Map 330 as a stopgap. That will only allow me to upload 8MB of maps.

So I'm looking for info on what software people with MeriGolds are currently using and some opinions on the various choices of software.

What I want to know is what software to get for detailed streets? Is the MapSend Streets & Destinations the way to go? Will MapSend Topo have enough streets to use for navigating residential areas? What's best to use for most Geocaching activities? What software will use all 64MB? ...

Guest phantom4099

I have the mapsend that came with the 330 and can download more than the 8mb. Have you tried to use Clayjar's method of uploading? Are you useing mapsend version 1.1? I believe that TOPO has all the streets the are on the orginal mapsend.

Wyatt W

Guest ClayJar

I don't know if there are any streets missing from MapSend Topo (other than new construction, of course), but if there are any, I've not seen them. It's very thorough.

Now, as for using the full 64MB... unfortunately, at this moment in time there is a bug in the Meridian/MapSend Topo combination that has been shown to cause lockups with large map sizes. They're working on a fix as we speak (they've apparently stopped shipping MapSend Topo until they get the fix done, which obviously means they are working as fast as they can).

So, although you're inconvenienced for the moment (bummer, really), once the fix for the "big map bug" with MapSend Topo is done, you'll be set to go. (I'm using 16MB of my card at the moment, but I'll be ready to upload as soon as the patch is done... no ETA, but that just means they're actually going to fix the bug.)

Oh, and please, no snide remarks about "this never happened with my (whatever)". We're kinder and more mature than that, right?

Guest DesertEagle

I am currently running Map Send Topo 30MB of maps loaded (4 regions of 7.5MB each) in my MeriGold.

The Mapsend Topo even has my dadgum driveway on it so as far as streets go its ok. Of course the reason it has my driveway was is that the driveway looks like a continuation of the street and thats the way it got digitized ... heh heh heh.

Streets and Destinations is suppose to be out soon (December sometime), is *suppose* to fix the large map bug (believe it when I load it). The diff I believe is that the Destinations part of the data has more points of interest and things like that. All things considered for geocaching the topo is more important. Ill get S&D for touring around on vacation.

Personally I can't beleve that stopping shipment is the right answer. Just put a readme slip along with it would better (ie. Don't load more than 16MB for now). Oh well, I don't run the company. icon_smile.gif

Guest DesertEagle

I am currently running Map Send Topo 30MB of maps loaded (4 regions of 7.5MB each) in my MeriGold.

The Mapsend Topo even has my dadgum driveway on it so as far as streets go its ok. Of course the reason it has my driveway was is that the driveway looks like a continuation of the street and thats the way it got digitized ... heh heh heh.

Streets and Destinations is suppose to be out soon (December sometime), is *suppose* to fix the large map bug (believe it when I load it). The diff I believe is that the Destinations part of the data has more points of interest and things like that. All things considered for geocaching the topo is more important. Ill get S&D for touring around on vacation.

Personally I can't beleve that stopping shipment is the right answer. Just put a readme slip along with it would better (ie. Don't load more than 16MB for now). Oh well, I don't run the company. icon_smile.gif