RAM mounts

Guest ba.roberts

Guest ba.roberts

I'm thinking of buying a RAM mount for my magellan as I understand they are interchangeable between bike, car, boat etc. Has anybody any experience of these mounts? Are they as good as they look and do they work?

------------------

Brian

Guest Moun10Bike

I can say that I unquestionably LOVE my R-A-M mounts. I have the suction cups mounted inside my truck and on my snowmobile (see my snowmobile/GPS setup here: http://jonsta.homestead.com/files/000219d.jpg), and the U-clamp bracket mounted to my mountain bike. My GPS III+ is secured in the holder, and then this can be transferred to any of the other mounts in seconds. I have a short arm between mount and holder for the bike (I think about 2 inches), and use the longer arm (4 inches?) in the truck and on the sleds. The whole setup works fabulously and absorbs the hard bumps of the trails -- even in -20 degree weather doing 60 MPH over bumpy terrain! Just make sure that you tighten the arms down enough to prevent the bumps from vibrating them out of their set position.

[This message has been edited by Moun10Bike (edited 03-13-2001).]

Guest emrldjetta

I use the big suction mount for my M315 in the car and it is great. I will get the ubolt clamp for use on the bike when the weather gets a little warmer. Yes, the RAM stuff is as good as they make it out to be. It costs a little more thn some other stuff but it is SO worth the money. RAM mount is definately my recommendation......Kyle

------------------

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by emrldjetta:

It costs a little more thn some other stuff but it is SO worth the money. RAM mount is definately my recommendation......Kyle

Good to hear - just ordered one of the suction mounts on the basis that it was the only one available - it's somewhat gratifying to hear someone else singing it's praises

Jason

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:

Does the company have a website featuring all these nifty mounting options?

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

No idea if they do themselves, but at least a selection are @ http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/GPS_Categories___RAM_Products___22.html - and while you're there you can be staggered at the exorbitant prices that some of us non-US located GPS'ers have to pay icon_frown.gif

Jason

Guest JasonW

quote:
Originally posted by Seamus:

Does the company have a website featuring all these nifty mounting options?

-- Seamus

KC5UGQ

No idea if they do themselves, but at least a selection are @ http://www.gpsw.co.uk/acatalog/GPS_Categories___RAM_Products___22.html - and while you're there you can be staggered at the exorbitant prices that some of us non-US located GPS'ers have to pay icon_frown.gif

Jason

Guest Quinnow

I would love to have one for my mountain bike that is low profile... I have a garmin III Plus and it would be great to tool it around on my trek up in the hills. does anyone have any ideas where I can get one for my model that is low pro?

i looked at your links above but didnt see anything for bikes.

Guest Moun10Bike

Quinnow, you can see a shot of the handlebar mount setup here: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html#gr3h . You'll notice, though, that it is not low profile. However, there are several benefits to having the GPS cantilevered out on the swing arm. First, the arm absorbs a lot of shock that would otherwise be passed to the GPS; second, the GPS can be easily moved into any position; and third, the suspension of the GPS frees up handlebar space (my hands always felt too cramped on the bars with the Garmin mount).

Guest JasonW

OK folks - I got the mount on Thursday last week, and after an initial problem in putting the GPS Unit into it (I was being a wuss and didn't want to snap the new mount) it's together and got suckered onto the windscreen of the hire car I had over the week end.

Initial observation: The rubber sucker takes up a lot of the vibration of the car (not that there was a lot of vehicle induced vibration, but road-originated vibration is another matter).

Everyone should buy one icon_smile.gif

Guest JasonW

OK folks - I got the mount on Thursday last week, and after an initial problem in putting the GPS Unit into it (I was being a wuss and didn't want to snap the new mount) it's together and got suckered onto the windscreen of the hire car I had over the week end.

Initial observation: The rubber sucker takes up a lot of the vibration of the car (not that there was a lot of vehicle induced vibration, but road-originated vibration is another matter).

Everyone should buy one icon_smile.gif

Guest Quinnow

Thanks!...I think I'll give that a go and see how I like it. My bike has a full suspension so I am not too worried about the shocking of the gps, just want it to look cooool as well as working properly.

quote:
Originally posted by Moun10Bike:

Quinnow, you can see a shot of the handlebar mount setup here: http://www.cycoactive.com/gps/gps_mounts_ram.html#gr3h . You'll notice, though, that it is not low profile. However, there are several benefits to having the GPS cantilevered out on the swing arm. First, the arm absorbs a lot of shock that would otherwise be passed to the GPS; second, the GPS can be easily moved into any position; and third, the suspension of the GPS frees up handlebar space (my hands always felt too cramped on the bars with the Garmin mount).

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest ba.roberts

Having bought the RAM mount for the bike I have now bought a base for the car windscreen. It is so easy to swap between them that it is well worth the money.

------------------

Brian

Guest Muzikman

Any one know of a kit to mount an eTrex to the handle of a trecking pole? Not sure how it would effect the balance, but I think the idea would be great. it would keep it out in the open and keep it right in front of you at all times.

------------------

---------------------

Jason "Muzikman" Beam

Pittsburgh, PA

-eTrex Summit-