Macintosh & GPS

Guest blatherskyte

Guest blatherskyte

I'm curious to find out who is using a macintosh and a gps. More importantly, what software, cables and GPS recievers are being used.

I've seen these software packages and am wondering which is better...and why.

www.gpsy.com

www.macgpspro.com

any information is appreciated.

-blatherskyte

------------------

"The sleep of reason

breeds monsters"

-Goya

Guest WaylandersMA

And any info as to how to do downloads of GC coordinates into either of these Mac programs would be appreciated also.

I would like to download all of Southern Utah into my Mac, my Legend, or my Palm 505 for a trip in three weeks.

Paul

Guest emrldjetta

I use gpsy and am very happy with it. It is fairly easy to use and has many features that I keep finding more uses for. I think my favorite is importing DRGs and scanning in my own maps (usually USGS quads that I've collected) and georeferencing them. GPSy also works with almost all GPS receivers that you will likely be using. Check their web site out and all its features. Good luck.....Kyle

------------------

It's always something.............

Guest mkral

Waylanders,

I wanted the same thing. Since we Mac users can't use topografix stuff, even with Virtual PC (not yet at least) I wanted some way to store waypoints on my mac or my palm. Someone on one of the other posts recommended using Avantgo & setting up a channel for a search from your zip code. I did one for Ohio & it works great. I set the size to 650 megs & I get about 50 caches. Should be plenty to cover Southern Utah.

Guest WaylandersMA

I'm on a Mac and I want my .locs. So I sign the agreement and I have the download icon on the cache pages. By hitting them and selecting a file editor "BBedit" as the application I can pop them open.

Problem: each time I download another .loc is created.

Question: Is there a way to have them all append to the same file? That way I could easily strip out and reformat for gpsy to accept. (I haven't figured out how to concatenate more than one file at a time).

Reason: Soon to go on a trip to Southern Utah. I will be able to "Avantgo" all the info into a Palm. Getting all of the GC's south of Green River will be a pain getting into the GPS by hand.

Paul

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by blatherskyte:

I'm curious to find out who is using a macintosh and a gps. More importantly, what software, cables and GPS recievers are being used.

I have used MacGPSPro for about six months now. It's great for what I use it for (geocaching). The main advantage is that updates are regularly posted (for free), so if you find any bugs they will soon be fixed. I have not used GPSy, so I can't comment on that.

I don't think there are any prefabricated Mac cables out there for the eTrex GPSs. I made my own using an eTrex plug from pfranc and miniture 8-pin-DIN plug (Mac serial port). I added a M and F DB9s (PC serial port) half way along the cable, just so I can connect to the PC when needed (for firmware upgrades). I also squeezed a voltage regulator into one of the DB9's back shells, this reduces the 13.5 V approx from the car's cigar lighter to the 3.00 V required by the eTtex.

I am using an eTrex summit, the electronic compass and barometric altimiter are fun toys, but you don't really need them. You would be better off with a basic yellow eTrex, they are getting really cheap now!

Cheers,

Donovan Govan.

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I don't think there are any prefabricated Mac cables out there for the eTrex GPSs.

You can add a PC Serial port to 8 pin Din to the end of the standard PC cable that comes as an Etrex accessory. You can also use a "Keyspan" dongle which converts the PC serial to USB. I use that with GPSY on a cable that also has the cigarette lighter power adapter.

Still can't download a list of GC points. icon_frown.gif

Paul

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

I don't think there are any prefabricated Mac cables out there for the eTrex GPSs.

You can add a PC Serial port to 8 pin Din to the end of the standard PC cable that comes as an Etrex accessory. You can also use a "Keyspan" dongle which converts the PC serial to USB. I use that with GPSY on a cable that also has the cigarette lighter power adapter.

Still can't download a list of GC points. icon_frown.gif

Paul

Guest topografix

If anyone wants a copy of EasyGPS that works with VirtualPC for Mac, drop me a line at easygps @ topografix.com. You must meet the following requirements:

- have VirtualPC for Mac

- be able to receive 1.5MB attachment by email

- agree not to redistribute this custom version of EasyGPS

Sorry, there won't be a native version of EasyGPS for Mac anytime soon, if at all.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:
Originally posted by topografix:

Sorry, there won't be a native version of EasyGPS for Mac anytime soon, if at all.

Any chance you skip MacOS 9 and make a utility for downloading waypoints using Mac OS X?

It has BSD command-line utilities, including Perl, Telnet, and FTP built in along with this groovy Apple made UNIX-based core operating system. Steve Jobs says it would be a piece of cake for you to write one. icon_smile.gif

If you do I can switch over to OS X in a keystroke and the GPS is hooked up by the above mentioned USB.

Geocacher = need cool latest gadget = OS X

Paul

Guest WaylandersMA

quote:

Any chance you skip MacOS 9 and make a utility for downloading waypoints using Mac OS X?

It has BSD command-line utilities, including Perl, Telnet, and FTP built in along with this groovy Apple made UNIX-based core operating system. Steve Jobs says it would be a piece of cake for you to write one. icon_smile.gif

If you do I can switch over to OS X in a keystroke and the GPS is hooked up by the above mentioned USB.

Geocacher = need cool latest gadget = OS X

Paul

Guest lunaport

I just received my Garmin eTrex in the mail, and my inner geek is anxious to hook it up to my Macintosh. I bought the Garmin PC interface cable, and I was hoping to use the serial-to-USB adapter from my Palm V. Anyone know if this setup will work? So far I've had no luck with GPSy. On a simpler note: how does one use a GPS indoors when, say, entering waypoints manually or hooked to a PC? Do I just let it keep searching for sats while I work? Isn't that a waste of batteries?

Guest bridaw

quote:
Originally posted by lunaport:

...I bought the Garmin PC interface cable, and I was hoping to use the serial-to-USB adapter from my Palm V?...

I don't have any of the links handy but I read numerous places and then personally verified that the Palm brand USB adapter will not work for GPS. Save yourself the hassle and pick up the Keyspan USB PDA Adapter. They are $34.95 at Outpost.com. It works great for GPS on the mac and can also be used for your Palm. I now have both a dedicated Palm brand USB adapter that stays on the Palm cable and the Keyspan adapter for all my other serial to USB needs on my mac. I use Mapsource software on my mac using Virtual PC with the Keyspan adapter. Works great!!

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest Maluso

The Palm adapter cable wouldn't work for me with a Garmin Etrex Legend and a Mac G4 dual 533. I got the keyspan usb to pda adapter and use virtual pc running mapsource. It's ok but I really wish I had mac native software.

Good luck!

Diane

Guest The 19th

Here's another testament regarding the Palm USB-to-serial kit. I got it from a local Staples the other day, got home, installed all the recent software on my PowerBook (FireWire), connected it up, but no go.

Using a terminal program like ZTerm just shows garbage coming in, no matter what protocol my Garmin eTrex Legend was set to.

Just for kicks, I connected an old external US Robotics PC modem I had laying around and was able to get online with it, so the adapter was working for some things, just not my eTrex.

The Keyspan USB-PDA adapter looks like the one to get for the newer USB-only Macs.

Guest jeremy

quote:
Originally posted by The 19th:

Here's another testament regarding the Palm USB-to-serial kit. I got it from a local Staples the other day, got home, installed all the recent software on my PowerBook (FireWire), connected it up, but no go.

You have to have the correct baud speed for it to work. 9600 baud I believe works.

Jeremy

Guest The 19th

I've tried it all the baud settings, from 2400 to 115200, and it would always come out with junk. Even setting the eTrex to Text output results in junk in a terminal program. I know the adapter works fine with my USR modem though, at any baud setting.

Following the steps from the FAQ on the GPSy website, the most I could do was download info, such as waypoints and tracks, from the GPS to my Powerbook. Their FAQ and others' experiences as well make it sound like it should go trouble free if I use a non-Palm USB-DB9 adapter .

Just for kicks, I tried using the Belkin and the Keyspan adapters with the Palm adapter, and no go.

I even tried to hook it up to my PC, and it still wouldn't work - I think Palm Desktop is the only one that would bother to look at USB for a serial device through the Palm adapter on Windows - all the GPS apps only had COMx port selections.

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

This is very possible. While checking out Keyspan's website, they do have X Drivers for some of their adapters. I've always wondered what they were for since Palm Desktop still runs in Classic only.

But yeah, if there were a Mac OS X version of Easy GPS, I'd be using it in a heartbeat (well, after I get a Keyspan USB Adapter) and my PC would get even less power-on time. icon_biggrin.gif

Oooh!!! I just thought of the possibility of GPS + AirPort! Now that would work well in some of those large scale 802.11b network areas.

Guest The 19th

quote:
Originally posted by WaylandersMA:

This is very possible. While checking out Keyspan's website, they do have X Drivers for some of their adapters. I've always wondered what they were for since Palm Desktop still runs in Classic only.

But yeah, if there were a Mac OS X version of Easy GPS, I'd be using it in a heartbeat (well, after I get a Keyspan USB Adapter) and my PC would get even less power-on time. icon_biggrin.gif

Oooh!!! I just thought of the possibility of GPS + AirPort! Now that would work well in some of those large scale 802.11b network areas.

Guest bridaw

First you install the drivers for Keyspan USB PDA adapter onto your mac. Insert the keyspan adapter into the USB port with your GPS cable connected. Launch VPC and then go to the settings for the virtual PC you use for GPS. Check the settings for COM1 or COM2 -your choice. You will see Keyspan USB in the drop down, select it and boot up that PC image. Run your GPS software and set the preferences to the same COM port you changed in the VPC settings. You will NOT need to load any USB drivers on the virtual PC nor will you need to try to set your GPS software to detect USB. The keyspan adapter works so well that as far as VPC is concerned, your mac has a COM port with your GPS cable plugged into it. It works very well, far simpler than I thought when I started. I assumed I would need to load some kind of USB drivers in windows. NOPE!! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest bridaw

First you install the drivers for Keyspan USB PDA adapter onto your mac. Insert the keyspan adapter into the USB port with your GPS cable connected. Launch VPC and then go to the settings for the virtual PC you use for GPS. Check the settings for COM1 or COM2 -your choice. You will see Keyspan USB in the drop down, select it and boot up that PC image. Run your GPS software and set the preferences to the same COM port you changed in the VPC settings. You will NOT need to load any USB drivers on the virtual PC nor will you need to try to set your GPS software to detect USB. The keyspan adapter works so well that as far as VPC is concerned, your mac has a COM port with your GPS cable plugged into it. It works very well, far simpler than I thought when I started. I assumed I would need to load some kind of USB drivers in windows. NOPE!! icon_smile.gif

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest kbraband

quote:

If anyone wants a copy of EasyGPS that works with VirtualPC for Mac, drop me a line at easygps @ topografix.com.

I emailed him -- twice -- and received no response as yet.

Guest c.mathis

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

If anyone wants a copy of EasyGPS that works with VirtualPC for Mac, drop me a line at easygps @ topografix.com.

quote:
Originally posted by kbraband:

I emailed him -- twice -- and received no response as yet.

Don't wait for them to get back to you. You can download the software from their site.

A while back, I asked them when the Mac version would be available. Their answer was short and to the point - "IT WON'T BE".

I would not use their software or promote a company that is not more supportive of the Macintosh.

[This message has been edited by c.mathis (edited 12 July 2001).]

Guest bridaw

[

quote:
Originally posted by c.mathis:

Don't wait for them to get back to you. You can download the software from their site.

I am running the latest version of VPC with Win98FE and the most recent version of EasyGPS I downloaded from their site would not launch. It has been a week since I have tried it so I don't remember the exact error but it was not a nice one and it happens when I attempt to launch the app.

Bummer deal. I was pretty stoked when I saw his post after I already had the crashing problem. I sent him an e-mail a couple days ago.... I guess I won't be waiting around for that reply.

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest mkral

I just got a reply back from Dan @ topografix. He is going to do the mac compatible (through VPC) version of easygps when he next updates easygps. That should be in a couple of weeks. I've had a chance to play around with easygps on my brother-in-laws pc & it is (IMHO) definately worth waiting another week or so for.

Guest bridaw

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

I just got a reply back from Dan @ topografix. He is going to do the mac compatible (through VPC) version of easygps when he next updates easygps. That should be in a couple of weeks. I've had a chance to play around with easygps on my brother-in-laws pc & it is (IMHO) definately worth waiting another week or so for.

Great news!! icon_smile.gif I had to bring my cables into work and have been using EasyGPS on one of my NT boxes. It will be nice to be able to keep my GPS stuff at home away from the office!

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA

Guest bridaw

quote:
Originally posted by mkral:

Great news!! icon_smile.gif I had to bring my cables into work and have been using EasyGPS on one of my NT boxes. It will be nice to be able to keep my GPS stuff at home away from the office!

------------------

Brian & Terry

San Diego, CA