Do I need to buy software?

Minla

I must reply to my own post to add that I do know about matching the baud rate between the GPS and the computer. Still won't recognize though. I'm just wondering if I HAVE to buy the map software. I don't want to spend more bucks if it won't solve the problem.

Please take pity on me and advise.

Thanks for replying DavidL!

No, it doesn't show up at all in the Device Manager. It didn't come with any kind of CD to install a driver either. I've been to the manufacturer's site and they want me to buy MapSend but they don't address this issue, and I was hoping once I got the thing to mount I could junst download my own maps. I'm a newbie and I'm just going to do local caching for now anyways.

I am sure u need software to download maps etc, there is nothing that comes with Windows XP to do this I am sure. Most all maps are copywrite material, so you are going to have to pay.

I do with my Garmin GPS V but it came with a CD ROM from MapSource version 4.01 NA

I connected mine to the PC and then launch the MapSource software and it takes care of the transfer.

While you may be able to find a way to do this, you are going to have to hack away.

Thank you for your suggestions.

DavidL, I think you're right about it being an issue with the serial port. I'm a Mac user and am trying to do this on my husband's PC. I need to learn why the computer is not recognizing the port. But at least I know that buying a MapStreet CD is not going to fix the problem. I've got EasyGPS saved in my Favorites, and hopefully will get to try it out before spending more money.

Heck, I'm bout to hand this over to a fellow Geocacher and have her download Titusville for me so I can hurry up and play with everyone else!

The only reason to connect the GPS to the PC via the serial port is to upload/download waypoits, routes, firmware, etc. So, to answer your initial question: YES, you need some type of software to communicate with the GPS. Just connecting it to the PC will have no effect. There is no GPS device driver, just a comm port driver. Once connected properly, any compatible software such as Easy GPS will see the GPS unit. The PC will not see the unit by itself. BTW, Easy GPS is freeware. MAKE SURE THE COMM PORT IS ENABLED IN THE BIOS or you will never get it working no matter what. Good luck!

SUCCESS!!

Yes! Thanks to the free software from <http://www.easygps.com/> that DavidL pointed me to I finally got the PC to recognize and actually transfer a waypoint to my GPS.

You are right Clown Knife. I kept expecting my GPS to pop up like an external HD. But I had to have that software to make it be seen.

And now I finally understand that I still need to buy a CD to download the maps in my area so those waypoints will be useful. Then I can go out and try to track down some caches.

Yeah! I began this morning so frustrated but now I'm happy again. Thankyou everyone who replied. Forums are great.

Woo hoo! Glad I could help out! Happy hunting!

quote:
Originally posted by Minla:

SUCCESS!!

Yes! Thanks to the free software from <http://www.easygps.com/> that DavidL pointed me to I finally got the PC to recognize and actually transfer a waypoint to my GPS.

You are right Clown Knife. I kept expecting my GPS to pop up like an external HD. But I had to have that software to make it be seen.

And now I finally understand that I still need to buy a CD to download the maps in my area so those waypoints will be useful. Then I can go out and try to track down some caches.

Yeah! I began this morning so frustrated but now I'm happy again. Thankyou everyone who replied. Forums are great.