Help - Base Map gone after Etrex Legend Update

Okay so I downloaded the 3.4 firmware update which was successful. I used my Legend a couple of days and realized the Base Map was gone. I had not added any other previous MapSource data to it. So I went back to the garmin site and there was a download to retreive the base map which would be erased with 3.4 update if you had installed MapSource data. Even though I hadn't installed MapSource I tried downloading that to the Legend and still no base map. Any ideas on where I went wrong or how to fix it. Thanks...

Your basemap should be permanate. What you found on the site to retrieve was the points of interest that comes along with the base map when you get the new unit. If you download mapsource maps, then what ever you have in there is written over except for the base map. You just reloaded the poi that was already in there. Ok, in your maps menu somewhere you have the option to select or de-select your mapsource maps and also your basemap. Sounds like you have de-selected your basemap so it is not showing. I don't know the legend menu setup that well, but find the menu that deals with you map setup and it will be there.

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Your basemap should be permanate. What you found on the site to retrieve was the points of interest that comes along with the base map when you get the new unit. If you download mapsource maps, then what ever you have in there is written over except for the base map. You just reloaded the poi that was already in there.

Oh, so that's what MapSource was talking about the first time I uploaded MapSource data to my eTrex Legend.

Question: I have a European (Atlantic Highway) Legend. Can I download the original POI for this unit, rather than the Marine POI listed on the "Software Updates" page?

After some research, a bit of confusion, and a little more research, I have come to the following conclusion:

All eTrex Legend and Vista units come with the same preloaded map data, regardless of which region basemap they contain. According to Garmin's website, they come with:

quote:

Americas Highway or Atlantic Highway or Pacific Highway and Marine Point Database

which I presume should be parsed as:

quote:

(Americas Highway or Atlantic Highway or Pacific Highway) and Marine Point Database

which is slightly counterintuitive to me, being a C++/Java programmer. icon_wink.gif

Further, for anyone who is interested, this "Marine Point Database" (as they call it) contains the following:

Cities with population 200K and above worldwide;

Nautical navaids for North and South America;

Tide stations for the US only (only viewable on GPS 72, GPS 76, and GPS 152).

Fixed my etrex Vista by updating to firmware 3.80.  Before updating it said ` no map " below the scale on the map screen.  The update took care of this.  As a bonus it also now reports the correct date.  Before the update the date was always wrong.  I now have an inexpensive unit for geocashing.  

Edited by Calculusman