What model GPS is everyone using? IV

Guest Artful Dodger

Guest COLOKOLAR

JUST ORDERED A NEW VISTA!! Can't wait--hope it goes better tho than my trying to learn how to use a UTM WAYPOINTER and properly read a topo map to find coordinates!!

Garmin EMap. Had it for year and half now. Just did our first geocache in Oct.

Would like to add map software, just can't justify cost of adding memory card, software, cables when I don't know how well it will all work.

(Need sombody to hold my hand)

------------------

Beter to Zig then Zag

Guest avaloncourt

Mark one down for the Garmin Emap

I recently located my first geocache with a friend who got me started. He had been there before but let me walk us in while he looked at his GPS. He brought us in from a different direction than he had gone before and the terrain was very unfamiliar to him.

He was using a basic eTrex while I used my eMap. He had trouble determining a route to follow, while I having my maps loaded was able to follow railroad tracks and know about water crossings in advance. Being able to visibly know what potential obstacles were coming really helped me plan on the fly. He was having trouble with a direction arrow alone. The track line showing overlayed on the map made a huge difference as well.

ZIG: I'd highly recommend that you buy the data cartridge and the Roads and Rec CD-ROM. It made things make sense while surrounded by trees.

Guest Chris Juricich

Uhh-- I sold my eTrex a month ago and have been using the GPS Map 76-- and yeah, I'm very happy with it. Even have the topo maps but haven't gotten around to loading the dadgum things yet!

Guest kaimaikid

I use a MLR SP24 and from the looks of it, I'd be the only one as well.

The mlr sp24 is French and sorry guys but it BLOWS away the garmin etrex hands down for sensitivity under the bush canopy, so far I've found it very easy to use, has a built in user guide, a hell of a lot of features, etc... icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone else has one, I'd love to hear your comments.[ icon_biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by kaimaikid (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest kaimaikid

I use a MLR SP24 and from the looks of it, I'd be the only one as well.

The mlr sp24 is French and sorry guys but it BLOWS away the garmin etrex hands down for sensitivity under the bush canopy, so far I've found it very easy to use, has a built in user guide, a hell of a lot of features, etc... icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone else has one, I'd love to hear your comments.[ icon_biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by kaimaikid (edited 07 November 2001).]

Guest marcus4e

I bought a Magellan GPS 315 after looking at the comparable Garman models. Net, it had a compass, elevation and more NAV screens. Plus being an Engineer...I need number displays not graphical symbols.

------------------

M4E

Guest worldtraveler

I had a Garmin III+ from 4/99 until the middle of October this year. Sold it to a friend who wanted it and immediately bought a Garmin V. The extra cost for unlocking all the regions on the Cityselect CD and for purchasing the Metroguide CD was a bit steep, but the autorouting and added data made it a very worthwhile upgrade for my purposes.

------------------

Worldtraveler

Guest eamurray

I just purchased the Garmin GPS V and I couldn't be happier. This is a wonderful unit. I'm using the City Select and Topo maps - great for everything: driving, hiking, kayaking, biking...

I just bought a Mag 315. I'm new to geocaching and the gps world, so after a little research I thought this was a good entry level model. I'm curious about your switch to the Lowrance model and your reasoning. . . "the auto averaging issue." Is averaging a "bad" thing. Could you shed a little light on this subject. I've been toting the 315 with me for a week now figuring out how it works and where I am ;-)It seems to be a good little unit. No problems so far.

Thanks

Trip

Guest TheDevantiers

Haven't received it yet (waiting for the big brown truck), but you can add another Meridian Gold to the list.

Can't wait to go on the first cache hunt with the family. We're all excited to do it, hopefully we'll beat the snow here in Michigan!