Garmin geocaching icons for Etrex summit

Guest saladman

Guest saladman

I was excited to see the new geocaching icons put out by garmin however when I querried them about the Summit and original etrex the reply was if it won't increase our revenue for a specific unit they don't care. They said there has not been enough interest from users for this. So if you have an E-trex or E-trex Summit start deluging them with email for this upgrade for our "old" units. Thanks, Stephen

Guest Prime Suspect

It makes sense to do it for the units that ship with a data cable. Pretty much 100% of those owners who are GeoCachers already have the equipment necessary to upgrade their units to use the new icons. The same can't be said for the lower-end units. And if it were as simple as just porting the images over, I'm sure they would have done it. But the differences in screen resolution doesn't make that possible.

Guest Iron Chef

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

It makes sense to do it for the units that ship with a data cable. Pretty much 100% of those owners who are GeoCachers already have the equipment necessary to upgrade their units to use the new icons. The same can't be said for the lower-end units. And if it were as simple as just porting the images over, I'm sure they would have done it. But the differences in screen resolution doesn't make that possible.

Prime Suspect was right on. Additionally Garmin has concerns about the amount of memory in the basic Etrex and the Summit. There is only a finite about of space for software and icons (all the OS stuff) and apparently they are running out of room, even to the point where it means not adding new icons to save space.

And even then... do you really need the icons? I personally think that it is a pain in the rear to change the standard waypoint icon from a square to something else when most of my waypoints are geocaches. So, until someone writes a little program to go through and change the data for me, it just doesn't matter too much. Then again that's me.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

[This message has been edited by Iron Chef (edited 24 October 2001).]

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

So, until someone writes a little program to go through and change the data for me, it just doesn't matter too much.

That would be G7ToWin. However the latest release doesn't have the new icons yet. I prefer the Mine mine.gif icon for a GeoCache anyway.

You can upload all your waypoints, and perform mass changes on them. You can change the icons, and if your GPS supports comments, you can have it display the comments on the map display instead of the waypoint name. It also lets you save, restore, and manipulate tracks and routes. (It's for Garmin and Lowrance only - sorry Maggies.)

Guest OldFrenchy

I wrote a note to Garmin the day before yesterday on this very subject, as I have a Summit. But I stand humbled by Iron Chef's superior logic: not enough memory! How come I didn't think of that? Hmmm...I can't remember...

Well, then I propose they take out some of the more useless icons and replace them with the ones we truly use, dagnabit! Perhaps I will resubmit my missive. I sent it to customer service, by the way. Is this the place to send suggestions?

OldFrenchy