Garmin V major problem - I MISS IT! (review included)

smithcon

That's right, I lost my Garmin V after a geocache hunt in Cedar Mill park in Beaverton, OR. I played football with my son in the park after our cache find, and probably lost it from my pocket during a heroic maneuver. ARRRGGGHHH! It actually happened almost two weeks ago.

As soon as I realized it was missing (the following evening when I went to pull it out of my briefcase), I made a hasty trip to the park on the first rainy night we'd had in recent memory.

Hoping to find a soaked but reviveable unit, I returned only with a profound sense of loss. Not only for the monetary value, but for what had become my constant and most reliable traveling companion.

Yes, my trusty V had replaced all of my map books, my folding maps, my hardcopies of Mapquest driving directions, and my wife's frustrated attempts to read them in a moving vehicle without hurling.

My V had it's quirks, to be sure. Occasionally, it would take a second longer to refresh than I would like, or tell me I was off route when I was still in the middle of the freeway. It even encouraged me to break the law a couple of times, but it never left a huge pile of unfolded and unkempt paper in my car, had pages rip out of it from overuse, made me curse at how inconvenient or slow the internet was, and best of all, it never yelled back when being impatiently consulted for an alternate route.

My view of the device has gelled considerably since I reviewed it last time. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it WAS good enough to trust to get me there, EVERY SINGLE TIME. I might make a wrong turn, but it would always bring me around in FAR less time than it would take me to swear, pull over, flip open the tattered Thomas Guide I kept under the passenger seat, and try to memorize a new route. It tought me numerous obscure but extremely useful shortcuts on my frequently travelled routes, and patiently beeped at me when I wasn't paying attention.

I have completely removed all maps from my car, and have never regretted it.

It also became a constant companion on hiking and biking trips.

If you have any doubts as to the usefulness of the V as a navigator, I would consider it a peer to the best car navigation systems in terms of accuracy. (It gave equal or better directions than a 2001 Acura RL NAV system when used side-by-side on five trip segments in Portland and Seattle.)

As a hiker or biker, it was flawless. Great signal lock reliability, and good readability. The form factor is more comfortable for hand holding, although heavier than, an etrex.

I acquired this in spring from tvnav.com, and upgraded to the all-zones unlock for $50.

Now I must come up with a replacement plan. Can I use my upgrade certificate on another pre-deluxe V? Does anyone have a pre-deluxe V they want to sell? Would any Garmin retailers have any remaining pre-deluxe Vs for good prices?

If I need to buy a new one, I will re-use tvnav.com, as they were very knowledgeable and gave great service the first time around.

As a fellow Garmin V owner, I understand the depth of your loss. It may not be permanent, however. Thanks to Garmin's unlock code software protection, they know your unit's serial number. Perhaps you could contact their Customer Support dept, report your unit as missing, and see if they maintain a database of missing/stolen units. An honest and determined finder may be able to contact you via Garmin or your "home" waypoint, if you entered one. Someone with less initiative may be more inclined to return it to you when they realize they can't add any more CS maps because they don't have your unlock codes.

Worldtraveler

All Garmin unlock certificates allow you to unlock the maps for TWO units. Their thinking is if you own the V and want to unlock the same maps for say a Legend, you can. They won't give you more than 2 though. All you have to do is log on with your certificate and put in the other unit's ID.

Besides, if you buy a NEW V, they all come with full unlock, but the 2 unit thing would really help if you got a good deal on a used one.

I've never taken advantage of this, even though I currently own THREE mapping Garmin units (I know - sick, huh?). I like having City Navigator in my SPIII and Metroguide/TOPO in my GPSMAP76. It's fun to compare the two - they both have their strengths....

I'm paranoid about losing my unit. I know some folks like to customize the startup screen with ownership information but I came up with another soluton. I made a business card sized data block with all my information and printed it out on transparency film. (available at any office supply store for jet printers).

I then trimmed the data wrapped it around two of my AA rechargeables and shoved it into my GPS. I figure if I lose, eventually the finder will have to change the batteries and will notice it (along with the notice of a 100 dollar reward).

if he or she is honest I get my unit back. If not...., well, I probably wouldn't get it back anyway.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

I'm paranoid about losing my unit. I know some folks like to customize the startup screen with ownership information but I came up with another soluton. I made a business card sized data block with all my information and printed it out on transparency film. (available at any office supply store for jet printers).

I then trimmed the data wrapped it around two of my AA rechargeables and shoved it into my GPS.

I'm wondering if all you'll get back is the batteries with someone wanting a $100 reward! icon_frown.gif

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

quote:

I then trimmed the data wrapped it around two of my AA rechargeables and shoved it into my GPS.

I'm wondering if all you'll get back is the batteries with someone wanting a $100 reward! icon_frown.gif

Eeyore

It took a GPS to get me away from technology.

quote:
Originally posted by smithcon:

That's right, I lost my Garmin V after a geocache hunt in Cedar Mill park in Beaverton, OR. I played football with my son in the park after our cache find, and probably lost it from my pocket during a heroic maneuver. ARRRGGGHHH! It actually happened almost two weeks ago.

As soon as I realized it was missing (the following evening when I went to pull it out of my briefcase), I made a hasty trip to the park on the first rainy night we'd had in recent memory.

Hoping to find a soaked but reviveable unit, I returned only with a profound sense of loss. Not only for the monetary value, but for what had become my constant and most reliable traveling companion.

Yes, my trusty V had replaced all of my map books, my folding maps, my hardcopies of Mapquest driving directions, and my wife's frustrated attempts to read them in a moving vehicle without hurling.

My V had it's quirks, to be sure. Occasionally, it would take a second longer to refresh than I would like, or tell me I was off route when I was still in the middle of the freeway. It even encouraged me to break the law a couple of times, but it never left a huge pile of unfolded and unkempt paper in my car, had pages rip out of it from overuse, made me curse at how inconvenient or slow the internet was, and best of all, it never yelled back when being impatiently consulted for an alternate route.

My view of the device has gelled considerably since I reviewed it last time. Sure it wasn't perfect, but it WAS good enough to trust to get me there, EVERY SINGLE TIME. I might make a wrong turn, but it would always bring me around in FAR less time than it would take me to swear, pull over, flip open the tattered Thomas Guide I kept under the passenger seat, and try to memorize a new route. It tought me numerous obscure but extremely useful shortcuts on my frequently travelled routes, and patiently beeped at me when I wasn't paying attention.

I have completely removed all maps from my car, and have never regretted it.

It also became a constant companion on hiking and biking trips.

If you have any doubts as to the usefulness of the V as a navigator, I would consider it a peer to the best car navigation systems in terms of accuracy. (It gave equal or better directions than a 2001 Acura RL NAV system when used side-by-side on five trip segments in Portland and Seattle.)

As a hiker or biker, it was flawless. Great signal lock reliability, and good readability. The form factor is more comfortable for hand holding, although heavier than, an etrex.

I acquired this in spring from tvnav.com, and upgraded to the all-zones unlock for $50.

Now I must come up with a replacement plan. Can I use my upgrade certificate on another pre-deluxe V? Does anyone have a pre-deluxe V they want to sell? Would any Garmin retailers have any remaining pre-deluxe Vs for good prices?

If I need to buy a new one, I will re-use tvnav.com, as they were very knowledgeable and gave great service the first time around.

--

smithcon, I think I have just the ticket for you.

Because I travel a lot, I almost always have my laptop computer, and 35mm auto-focus SLR camera with me.

To this end, I have placed--through my local State Farm Insurance agent--what is termed a "Personal Articles Policy" on this equipment. Although not covering normal wear and tear, it does cover loss of the unit, theft, and physical damage (save for damage that is intentionally inflicted.)

The premiums on these policies are very low, and well worth it in my eyes. Michigan is a no-fault insurance state and, as such, our insurance regulations are different from states that don't have no-fault laws. This is the lowdown on what I pay on SF's monthly payment plan: $118.00 a month.

This gives me $50 deductible, broadform collision (if it's not my fault, I don't have to pay the deductible) with a high coverage rate (100/500/100, I believe), $50 deductible Comprehensive (theft, Acts of God [hail, stones, etc.], Uninsured Motorist, and some special Michigan Coverages specific to Michigan and other no-fault states.

I also have Emergency Road Service at $8.00/six-month period, $16.00 a year; it's a bargain! I always am locking my keys in my truck at one time or another...it's paid for itself this year already!

Also, as I rent, I have Renter's Insurance as well.

All this for $118.00 a month (varies from time to time, but not more than $20.00 either way [for me]).

Considering the value of what I get for my whole package of insurance here, a Personal Articles Policy for a GPS-V (the gps I'm buying soon) is, to say the least, "donuts and milk" in terms of price-for-value-received. A $1,000 policy might run me $10-15 a month, or perhaps a bit less. Price "mileage" may vary.

Just thought when you get a new GPS-V (you *are*, aren't you? ;-) ), you might want to put one of these policies on your next GPS Receiver.

Warm regards,

Stephen Brown (Firefishe)

Note: I am not an employee of State Farm, just a satisfied customer who enjoys excellent coverage for a more-than-fair price! I am a staunch advocate of the Personal Articles Policy that State Farm offers and will put one on my new GPS-V!

196939_600.gif

quote:

My friend bought a Travel Bug tag and registered his GPS Unit as a travel bug. HE then drops it and picks it up at every cache he visits. This allows him to track his movements on the TB Map but should he loose it, the finder can go to the website, type in the TB number and discover who the owner is. I think it's a great idea

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I really like this idea and would like to hear what others think about it. I think its a great idea but am wondering if that jades your TB stats. Any ideas?

______________________________________________________________________________________

The 'idiot' who should be banned because he likes to spend all day annoying people while drinking beer.

I customized the WARNING screen on my GPS V to my name, phone number, E-mail address and a note saying reward when returned. The program that you can do this at is called MeMap, it is free at MeMap It was made for Garmin eMap GPS receiver, but it works on the V. It is really a neat program!

[This message was edited by ProStreet on October 02, 2002 at 03:14 PM.]