GPSMAP 76S vs. GPS V for caching/hiking

I've heard all the rave about the GPS V for auto-routing and turn-by-turn directions in the car...but I'm not that interested in using a GPSr for driving assistance. Could someone with experience (this will be my first GPSr) compare the GPSMAP 76S and the GPS V for caching and hiking? And how do the prices compare? Any certain dealers that have the best deals or service? I've seen the $50 rebate for buying TOPO and GPSMAP 76S, with the GPSr costing $375 and the TOPO $90.

Both units will have the same maps (if you use Topo) and most features. The 76S does have the compass and barometer that the GPSV doesn't have, as well as a little bit larger screen. Since both units are the top of the line, whatever one you choose, you will be in caching heaven. I personally have the GPSV and really like the way I can carry it in a custom case attached to the front of the shoulder strap of my pack. This positions the unit on my upper chest and front shoulder where it can keep a constant sat lock and allows my hands to be free. You really only need the GPS in your hands the most when you are closing in on a cache. Keeping a constant sat lock allows you to record a more detailed track log of your hike/hunt.

19973_600.gifThe adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

Thanks for the input Navdog. I've been leaning towards the 76s because it had just about the same features, the larger screen, plus the barometric altimeter and compass...I had also assumed it would be a bit cheaper, but after looking at a few websites and on eBay the GPSV seems to be just as cheap if not cheaper. Your thoughts?

A friend of mine who has used a Vista, GPS V, and a 76S said that if he ever upgrated his Vista it would be the V he got.

The 76S floats, the routing is great. I'm told the rural problem (not much routing detail) with Cityselect is fixed in the new release and already fixed with metroguide.

The larger screen would be nice on the 76.

So here is your entire decision in a nutshell.

Routing vs. Compass/Floats.

I recently bought the 76s after much research and deliberation... Here's why I bought the 76S over the V as the better choice for ME (YMMV)...:

* Screen Size... the V is small

* Floats ( Canoeing in the BWCA was one reason for the purchase)

* 24Mb vs. 19Mb for maps

* Routing wasn't a big seller for me.

* Didn't care for the external antenna. I've already dropped by 76S for short tumbles and wasn't sure how the V's external antenna would hold up.

* 76S just felt better to me....

That's it... Your mileage may vary.... icon_biggrin.gif

I recently bought the 76s after much research and deliberation... Here's why I bought the 76S over the V as the better choice for ME (YMMV)...:

* Screen Size... the V is small

* Floats ( Canoeing in the BWCA was one reason for the purchase)

* 24Mb vs. 19Mb for maps

* Routing wasn't a big seller for me.

* Didn't care for the external antenna. I've already dropped by 76S for short tumbles and wasn't sure how the V's external antenna would hold up.

* 76S just felt better to me....

That's it... Your mileage may vary.... icon_biggrin.gif

I Think since you do not care about autorouting you should consider a III Plus to the Map 76S. In this comparison price will be a large factor. You will spend about $375.00 for the Map 76S where a III Plus would be about $200.00 For the difference in price here is what I see as the differences: Screen size, I don’t think a big deal when you are walking and can hold the GPS at any distance from your eyes. Memory, 24MB compared to 1.44, if you are loading Topo or Roads and Recreation 1.44 is all you need. Compass, Wal-Mart has them for $6.50. Altimeter, the altitude from the satellites is usually + or – 50 feet worst case. Reception, hands down the III Plus will far out perform the 76S and if you cache in heavy tree cover there is nothing more frustrating than loosing the sats.

I know of several local cachers who the Map76 and at this time of year the have problems with reception in our area.