GPS III + uploading and downloading

Guest Miles678

Guest Miles678

I recently purchased a Garmin GPS III Plus and I am very happy with it. I am in the process of getting it to interact with my PC.

So far I have gotten it to interface with my software correctly so I can upload and download waypoints.

The question I have is how do I send and receive text data. It would be much easier if I could create waypoint coordinates and names as a text file and upload them to the unit. That would save me the time and trouble of manually entering them in on the unit itself. How do I go about uploading waypoints as text files?

In addition I would like to be able to upgrade my maps on the GPS unit. Is there any way of uploading topo maps to the unit?

As far as interacting with software, I am currently interfacing with Delorme. It is a decent mapping package that I've had for awhile. How does this package stack up with others as far as interfacing with my GPS III +?

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

Miles678

Guest Quinnow

I have the IIIPlus as well as the Vista.

I own the "mapsource topo" software. What I do as far as entering waypoints, I just go to the cache I want to find or as many as I want to enter, and I use my mouse to copy the coordinates, I then go into topo and under "new waypoint" I paste the coordinates from the cache pages. All I have to do then is remove the degree sign from the coordinates and I am done. It Generates the map and saves the waypoints I enter. I can then just upload them to my gps units to use as I wish. I love mapsource topo and have never had a prob as far as uploads or downloads using it.

------------------

Quinn Stone

Rochester, NY.14616

www.Navicache.com

Guest llemons

Hello,

I am using a Garmin 12 Map, which is similar to the III+, and I am also using the Mapsource program. It is a really good program, well worth the price. The only thing that is not available is the ability to upload and download text coordinates, so I am working on a program that will provide this capability.

If you are interested, let me know.

Guest Miles678

I will probably get the 'mapsource topo'. My concern is the quality of the data. I looked at Garmin's site and wasn't sure that the quality of their demo was all that great.

What does topo come with besides topo lines? Does it have trails and the like?

Right now I only have Street Atlas 7.0. As far as I can tell the only way to enter waypoints is to manually enter them into the GPS unit and then export them into Street Atlas. I have created a text file via copying and pasting that I would like to import, but I haven't figured out how.

Llemons, tell me more about the program that you are working on. It sounds like something that I would be interested in. There really should be a way to import and export batch text files.

Miles678

Guest Miles678

It looks like PanTerra will do some of the things that I was looking for. However I noticed that it can only import files in degrees.degrees format. The file that I wanted to import was in degrees minutes.minutes format icon_frown.gif Does the full version support that format? Otherwise importing text files will be lots of work too. I'd have to convert everything before importing the file.

Guest Miles678

It looks like PanTerra will do some of the things that I was looking for. However I noticed that it can only import files in degrees.degrees format. The file that I wanted to import was in degrees minutes.minutes format icon_frown.gif Does the full version support that format? Otherwise importing text files will be lots of work too. I'd have to convert everything before importing the file.