Anyone using GPS for Palm Pilots?

Guest Tinaddar

Guest Tinaddar

I recently purchased a Palm VX and was wondering if anyone uses a GPS unit with their Palm for geocaching, and if so, how well do they work, and if I should get a normal GPS unit instead.

Guest cache_ninja

look at old posts/topics in the forums, there are definately other people who have mentioned using palms/visors w/gps modules and so forth and talked about the apps they use etc. from what i've read the handygps for the visor isn't so great, geode may be better..

c/n

I just got the Magellan GPS Companion for my Handsprint Visor (Green DX) and absolutely love it! I understand that they've (MagellanGPS.com) got a unit for Palm handhelds as well.......might be worth a look.

tucker

February 28th, there's a $20 mail-in rebate from Magellan.

Nice feature set, comparable to the $300-range units, although it could do with map data that's a little more up to date.

I just bought and started using GeoDiscovery's Geode GPS unit. Since I was a beta tester for GeoDiscovery, I was charged $250 vs the MSRP $290.

Since the Geode is a newcommer to the GPS/Handspring Visor module market, the Geode expectly has some 'quirks'. However, overall it is a solid and *very accurate* unit. Additionally, GeoDiscovery's technical support is amazing - they actively pursue people for feedback, contacting users who've had problems (me icon_smile.gif), and so on.

http://exocet-industries.cx

"Taking over the world, one computer at a time."

I just bought and started using GeoDiscovery's Geode GPS unit. Since I was a beta tester for GeoDiscovery, I was charged $250 vs the MSRP $290.

Since the Geode is a newcommer to the GPS/Handspring Visor module market, the Geode expectly has some 'quirks'. However, overall it is a solid and *very accurate* unit. Additionally, GeoDiscovery's technical support is amazing - they actively pursue people for feedback, contacting users who've had problems (me icon_smile.gif), and so on.

http://exocet-industries.cx

"Taking over the world, one computer at a time."

Guest swangner

I've been using the Magellan GPS companion for Palm V, and it seems to work pretty well. Accuracy seems to be decent. The only downside is that you have to take your PalmV out on the trail with you, leaving yourself wide open for dropping it and damaging it.

I just had someone locate one of my caches with a Visor/GPS combo, then log the cache from the site on their Visor via wireless link. Very cool combination of technologies for the sport. If you would like to see the log message, check out Admirals Reading Room in California.

Guest Davideo

quote:
Originally posted by Tinaddar:

I was wondering if anyone uses a GPS unit with their Palm for geocaching

I have a Palm Vx and a Garmin GPSIII, and I have no desire to connect them together. Too much to carry around!! I agree with swnangner; it would be too easy to drop. I say get a Garmin III+, but maybe I'm out of it when it comes to what is the latest and greatest. (I'll put it this way, if you're like me and have the Palm Vx, you're into expensive toys! icon_smile.gif )

------------------

=========

Davideo

Guest Davideo

quote:

I was wondering if anyone uses a GPS unit with their Palm for geocaching

I have a Palm Vx and a Garmin GPSIII, and I have no desire to connect them together. Too much to carry around!! I agree with swnangner; it would be too easy to drop. I say get a Garmin III+, but maybe I'm out of it when it comes to what is the latest and greatest. (I'll put it this way, if you're like me and have the Palm Vx, you're into expensive toys! icon_smile.gif )

------------------

=========

Davideo

Guest Ruchrist

I recently purchased a Palm VX and was wondering if anyone uses a GPS unit with their Palm for geocaching, and if so, how well do they work, and if I should get a normal GPS unit instead.

I purchased the Rand McNally GPS package forhte Palm V. I found it for about $150 and OfficeMax (also available direct from randmcnally.com). I went with this package cause it included the car mount, soft case, and auto-lighter adapter for the same price and the Magellen package (which is the same unit). I have used it in the car alot but have not found the perfect software yet. I did take the unit with me on a bike ride and was very happy with the performance. I really like this unit the only thing I would like to see is a pass-through to leave the GPS attached to connect to the cradle.

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I have a Palm Vx and the Rand-McNally Streetfinder GPS with map software. I added the GPS Pilot Compass shareware program to give me all the usual GPS functions because the Streetfinder just puts you on the map. Compass gives you lat-long-alt, etc.

FYI, my other GPS is a Garmin 12MAP. This is a much more rugged unit, and better suited to outdoor use than a Palm/GPS. I rate the 12MAP above the eTrex series because it has position averaging, which aids in accurately marking the location of a cache. It also has a jack to connect an external antenna. eTrex models have neither.

Anton, N2RUD

------------

quote:

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

[This message has been edited by Anton (edited 03-10-2001).]

Guest tafische

I just purchased the Palm III Streetfinder from Rand McNally. It has gotten a pretty bad rap, but I think it works pretty good. The maps are not bad, and I use a few 3rd party apps that really make it quite functional.

The best part is it is only $49 on the Rand travel store. If you fill out a survey form you can get 20% of making it only about $45 after shipping. I think it is an excelent deal for the price - IMHO.

Thanks!

Guest fuller10

I also just purchased the Rand McNally for Palm III. I have only played a little with the streetfinder stuff but have loaded a couple of other software apps. I just did my first cache using Magellan's NavCompanion that I downloaded and it works well with the Navman. It lets you plot to a waypoint. I also loaded Pathfinder and it does not allow you to create waypoints yet. I'm satisfied with the $45 dollar investment for my old palm.