ExpertGPS - the mapping solution for geocachers.

I've been looking for a good and reasonably priced topo mapping software to use with my Garmin eTrex Legend. Today morning I ordered Maptech Terrain Navigator/California for $99; what an idiot I was. This evening I decided to learn using EasyGPS, and, by the way, I had a look at ExpertGPS. WOW! That's what I was looking for! It automatically downloads via Internet the best topo maps without any hassle. And the price is also affordable. I try to cancel my Maptech order immediately (I hope I can). Why to spend $100 only for California topo maps and wait for a week for the CDs, when I can have a perfect, all-USA, Geocaching.com-enabled mapping software now for $60?

PS: I've published this only to give an idea for others looking for a geocaching-ready topo mapping solution.

[This message was edited by nemethmik on May 20, 2002 at 10:57 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Navdog:

It may not have all of the bells and whistles

I'm quite new in this GPS/mapping business. Could you name some missing features that may be important and available in other mapping packages?

BTW, I managed to cancel my Maptech order, and I also learned that a PocketPC version of ExpertGPS entered in the testing phase.

quote:
I'm quite new in this GPS/mapping business. Could you name some missing features that may be important and available in other mapping packages?

Don't get me wrong. ExpertGPS is GREAT! There are really only a few things I have noticed it doesn't have compared to some other programs,( shaded relief,3D-view, elevation profiles, more detailed grid markers, placename finder) which are all really more fluff than anything and may not be needed by most folks.

19973_600.gif The adventures of Navdog, Justdog, and Otterpup

quote:
Originally posted by nemethmik:

BTW, I managed to cancel my Maptech order, and I also learned that a PocketPC version of ExpertGPS entered in the testing phase.

Where did the PocketPC info come from? You mean testing as in alpha/beta testing, or testing as in "Yippee! It compiled! Now let's see if it does anything!"??? icon_smile.gif

I've been chomping at the bit for the pocketpc version since it was first mentioned about a year ago...

Thanks!

quote:

Where did the PocketPC info come from? You mean testing as in alpha/beta testing, or testing as in "Yippee! It compiled! Now let's see if it does anything!"??? icon_smile.gif

I've been chomping at the bit for the pocketpc version since it was first mentioned about a year ago...

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Where did the PocketPC info come from?

I just got a mail from a guy from

topografix "... You'll be happy to know that the PocketPC version of ExpertGPS is nearing completion, and we'll begin testing soon. Sign up at http://www.expertgps.com/mailing.asp for our new product announcements. I'm using the software on my iPaq up here in Alaska, ..."

Unfortunately, that's all I have.

Because of this application I'm thinking of buying a Sony Picturebook (C1MV) or a Sony SRX77 to be used with my eTrex Legend. And when the PocketPC version is out I can use that with my iPAQ.

Dan Foster sent out a note to his mailing list and posted here on the Geocaching forums that he is in Alaska for the next few weeks. As far as I know he IS Topografix and there is no-one "answering the phone" there at the moment.

I have been using it for about 4 months now and also think it's a great program!

Lou Catozzi

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Where did the PocketPC info come from?

I just got a mail from a guy from

topografix "... You'll be happy to know that the PocketPC version of ExpertGPS is nearing completion, and we'll begin testing soon. Sign up at http://www.expertgps.com/mailing.asp for our new product announcements. I'm using the software on my iPaq up here in Alaska, ..."

Unfortunately, that's all I have.

Because of this application I'm thinking of buying a Sony Picturebook (C1MV) or a Sony SRX77 to be used with my eTrex Legend. And when the PocketPC version is out I can use that with my iPAQ.

quote:
Originally posted by txhipowr:

As far as I know he IS Topografix

Even better! In general, I trust more in a man of genius then companies with herds of mediocre programmers when selecting a piece of software. Until he is interested in what he's doing he is unbeatable, but when he looses interest in that area icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by nemethmik on May 23, 2002 at 08:44 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by txhipowr:

As far as I know he IS Topografix

Even better! In general, I trust more in a man of genius then companies with herds of mediocre programmers when selecting a piece of software. Until he is interested in what he's doing he is unbeatable, but when he looses interest in that area icon_frown.gif

[This message was edited by nemethmik on May 23, 2002 at 08:44 AM.]

quote:
:

As far as I know he IS Topografix.

You guys provide my paycheck, so if I lose interest, I lose my shirt too...

I just got back from Alaska, where I used the super-secret PocketPC software to successfully find my first Alaskan geocache! It's still not ready for beta test, but that's coming soon.

Thanks to everyone who's bought ExpertGPS over the last two years! Keep up the suggestions and the support, and I'll do everything I can to keep the new features coming!

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/

quote:
:

As far as I know he IS Topografix.

You guys provide my paycheck, so if I lose interest, I lose my shirt too...

I just got back from Alaska, where I used the super-secret PocketPC software to successfully find my first Alaskan geocache! It's still not ready for beta test, but that's coming soon.

Thanks to everyone who's bought ExpertGPS over the last two years! Keep up the suggestions and the support, and I'll do everything I can to keep the new features coming!

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/

What I want to see someone do is create a mapping program that "does it all" for the palm o.s. One that does routing like mapopolis, but also allows for uploading and downloading of waypoints from your GPSr so you can auto route based on your waypoints. Yeah yeah I know I could go get a Garmin V or a Magellan Gold and they would do these things, but the maps available for those are left wanting in many areas, plus I can't also use the unit for my other PIM aps as well as my readers, and so on. So I'd like to see a program that allows me to get routes from one waypoint to another, manage my waypoints, load both city maps and topo maps, and makes use of extended memory such as the memory sticks on my SOny Clie NR70, also it would be nice if it would support the new larger screen option my hi-res Clie' NR70 offers. I'm asking a lot I'm sure....but there are programs out there that if combined, would do it all, but each program is lacking by itself.

To date I have tried....

mapopolis....great maps, does address to address autorouting, I can store maps in my memory stick. Shortfall....no way to import waypoints (except making a waypoint where you are at the moment, if you are hooked up to a GPSr) no topographic maps.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Fugawi, great program, uses both topo maps, street maps, and even has nautical maps. You can add waypoints, do auto-routing and so forth, only problem, the only way you can get info on your palm is to create a route on your PC, adding in your waypoints and so on, then you essentially clip the info and maps you want and load them onto your palm, you can't actually create routes on the go on your palm, nor can you load waypoints directly to the maps in the palm.

Checked out the new XMap, looked promising...but I found out that they do not offer waypoint management in the new XMap handheld, though if I remember right solus pro did...but it had other problems, and also is no longer offered by delorme.

Tried GPS Pilot, cool, you can create maps from scanned images, you can get free maps, ect. But of course you can't do autorouting, and add to that the additional problem that you can't seem to use extended memory, such as memory sticks, all maps must be in the internal memory...well that stinks, as maps are fairly large files.

So, anyone know of something that does it all???

[This message was edited by RAD Dad on May 26, 2002 at 10:31 PM.]