Are there Star charts for GPS???

Guest BryanG

Guest BryanG

It seems to me that a mony maker would be to have a star chart that you could load into you GPS. Something simple that you could scroll through a list of object or load your own... then the gps would do the calculations that would figure out where you are what time it is and tell you what direction to look and how high in the sky to find it...

I would buy it!!!!!

Just a thought, the metor shower last week got me thinking!

If you're talking stars and constellations visible with your unaided eye, then a simple 'Planisphere' does what you want. They cost a few dollars and consist of two disks of cardboard or plastic with the top one having an oval cutout and the bottom one a star chart. Rotate them so the current time and date line up on the outer edge and the stars visible through the oval will match the night sky. Frequently they also have a guide to the positions of the planets printed in a table on the back.

For telescopes where more accuracy is required, Celestron already has a model out that includes a GPS and electronic compass to automatically do the initial alignment for you. You still need to center a star manually to get the alignment precise and then it'll find objects for you automatically as you select from a list or it'll even take you on a fully automatic tour.

Guest BryanG

I know there are bunches of charts and tools... but I am wondering with these great mapping GPS' why not have a Star chart map.

Basically, I thought it would be another cute little tool that people could use from time to time... When out camping it could stir up some good conversations about the constalations, planets, etc.

Marine Navagation at night would also be a bonus...

Just a thought. adding technologies togeater can be fun!

quote:
Originally posted by BryanG:

Basically, I thought it would be another cute little tool that people could use from time to time... When out camping it could stir up some good conversations about the constalations, planets, etc.

Ah, so even though what you want is already available with a simple, cheap, and effective solution; you won't get one until someone makes it complicated, electronic, and requiring batteries. That version already exists too - you can find it in many of the toystores that claim to be educational. You can lug it to your campfire if you wish, but I'll stick with the simple plastic planisphere I can stick in my pocket and which provides just the same function.

Reminds me somewhat of the preference so many seem to have for electronic vs. simple mechanical compasses. The electronic ones are great when you need a remote readout, but for most applications the straightforward magnetized needle on a pin still works best.

Guest wasmith

Well this isn't exactly 100% on the topic of Geocaching, but my trusty little Compac iPAQ handheld PC has a version of "The Sky" software running on it, and it functions as a highly accurate electronic star chart. I also loaded a GPS package on it and it works OK as well, so I guess it does what you are suggesting (although the GPS functionality is not quite as good as, say, a Garmin unit).

Guest BryanG

wasmith has bacially what I was thinking...

Peter, sorry man, I was thinking I have GPS, if I could add a star chart on it, that would be very cool. Why? Because simply it fits in my pocket and I would have it with me every where I go... Yea, my compas is in the same pocket of my backpack along with my Topo Map...

What can I say, I'm a geek who like the Tech solution, but I have the knowladge to fall back on pen and paper when in a real situation...

Sorry for asking!

Guest Cheetah6

quote:
Originally posted by BryanG:

I know there are bunches of charts and tools... but I am wondering with these great mapping GPS' why not have a Star chart map.

Just a thought. adding technologies togeater can be fun!

If you have a palmpilot or handspring, you can download a program call Star Pilot. Its a shareware, $29 but you still can use its basic feature which is still good. It'll give you a good look at the stars, its planet, and some other exotic stuff. While its not exactly the GPS you were looking for, you still can use the GPS to grab the lat/long and enter it on the star pilot.

It was a great ice breaker for me on a lot of occasions.

I highly recommend this program for any star gazer. Here's the link:

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10124-100-2596184.html?tag=st.dl.10002-1 03-1.lst-7-6.2596184

Another great program for the pilot that I forgot to add here (shareware, $24):

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10124-100-4293134.html?tag=st.dl.10002-103-1.lst-7-1.4293134

[This message has been edited by Cheetah6 (edited 18 August 2001).]