What's the Best reading you've gotten on your eTrex?

Guest kones

I just recently purchased an eTrex Legend and would like to see what is the best accuracy people have gotten with similar u nits. I have gotten an accuracy within 12 feet, and I beleive it should be able tog et even closer. Anyone?

Guest Reservoir Dog

When I first got my Vista I set my vehicle as a waypoint, hiked into a Wilderness area about two miles, did what I had to do and tracked back to within 3-feet.

It got me within 10-feet of the last cache I hunted.

This was done without WAAS enabled as I don't think we can get the satellites out here in Wyoming.

------------------

Terry (Reservoir Dog)

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by Reservoir Dog:

This was done without WAAS enabled as I don't think we can get the satellites out here in Wyoming.

You can! See this site for a map of coverage areas. Wyoming appears to be at the edge of the Pacific satellite's area of coverage and well within the Atlantic satellite's area of coverage. Of course, you need a good view of the horizon to see the birds.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

30H/98F

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html

The best I'vwe gotten with my Legend was about 4 feet, but that was on a very clear cloudless day and in the middle of a wide open field with no overhead tree cover.

Typically, I get between 10-20 feet even when under dense cover.

Guest rgerman95

Like most of the other respondants, my accuracy varies with the tree cover.

In the clear, with an open sky above, 5-6 feet is pretty typical. With tree cover, I'm usually in the 18-24 foot range.

My unit is an eTrex Legend.

Rich

Guest Reservoir Dog

The best was the first time I used my Vista. I set my truck as a waypoint, travelled about a mile and returned to within 3 feet. That was with WAAS turned off...can't seem to get a satellite above 33. Normally, on a good day, it's around 10-12 feet.

rd.gif

Guest thfireman

I have gotten 4 feet once but thought it was just a fluke. I regularly get 6 feet in open areas on partly cloudy days but I average 10-14 feet on any given day and terrain.

------------------

Thanks,

ThFireman

Guest sjdavis

I got 8-feet with my vista 10 miles south of Carson City, Nevada.

Out there you get a fast satelite lock and most if not all satelite signals are pegged.

A great place to geocache.

I live in Redding,Ca. and there is alot of tree cover. I usually get 20-13

Whiteknuckler