Meridian Report, Pics, and Tricks

Guest ClayJar

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Is there a way to upload more than 4 areas?

At present, no. There is a limit in the MapSend software, the firmware, or the file structure that only allows four (4) detail sections per joined mapset (maps.img/detail00.img). MapSend will actually let you attempt to create a file with more than 4 detail sections, but if you put that on the SD card, the Meridian will ignore it.

I'm hoping that a future firmware revision will increase that limit (I'm almost certain it will change eventually), but it's not really a problem yet. As long as you are benevolent when you make the regions, you shouldn't have big problems. If you really want/need more than four regions right now, you can always get more, smaller SD cards and split your mapsets between them.

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 19 October 2001).]

Guest prv8eye

[/b]

which means that when I plan a trip north, I can just copy "North.img" to my card and have all of Louisiana, Arkansas, et al.

You go "north" to Louisiana???

Man, you must live on a boat in the Gulf of Mexico .

Guest ClayJar

Okay, I looked into the file again, and it looks like there is no intrinsic problem in the file format. It tacks additional maps on with no apparent difficulties. It looks like the region ID in the file is a one-byte number, which would mean that you wouldn't be able to have more than 256 regions per file, and there's some sort of ID/addressing data in there, which means there's probably a limit there, too, but neither of these should be a problem for even doubling the number of regions allowed. (I say this as a completely unqualified external observer; I haven't seen the firmware source, of course.)

Anyway, it would seem to me that it shouldn't be very hard for Thales Navigation to update the firmware to support more than four regions (and with 8x the memory of the MAP 330, and perhaps even more, it would only seem logical, eh?). I'll e-mail them right away.

As a technical note for those who may be interested, "Raima Database Manager 4.5 [build 17]" is what's used internally in MapSend Streets and MapSend Topo (those are the only two things I have handy). Unfortunately, I don't have a cool grand eek.gif to spend on licensing in order to get deep into the databasing.

(And as far as going north to Louisiana, I didn't say that. I merely go north through [the rest of] Louisiana.)

Clayjar,

Is it basic software-compatible with the older Magellans?

What I'm really asking is... Does it work with EasyGPS, oziexplorer, and the like? Or are we going to need to wait for updates for these 'third party' applications to talk some new meridian protocol?

Sorry if this has already been covered elsewhere, I couldn't find it. I'd ask at LAGG1 today, but I figure someone else might be wondering the same thing...

Thanks!

Guest ClayJar

Basically, to uploading/downloading software, the Meridians look just like MAP 330s with a different name. This being the case, I told EasyGPS that I was using a MAP 330, and it works fine. I also downloaded OziExplorer and checked that. It also works fine with the MAP 330 settings (although I think the default setting for the number of trackpoints in a MAP 330 is wrong; it should be 2000, but hey).

Just received my Meridian Gold. Glad I waited!!!

This my first GPS and I was looking at the various software packages to support it. Any recommendations?

I believe I will get the MapSend Topo to give the geocaching a try (and a SD card) but I travel extensively for work and was wondering if another S/W package would be worth while and if anyone knows the difference between MapSend Streets and MapSend Streets and Destinations? Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks - Mitch

Guest ClayJar

MapSend Topo has been everything I need. It's got topo, but it also has all the street detail (and plenty of POIs, if you're into that sort of thing icon_wink.gif). I don't know particularly what the other packages might have, but topo and street detail is all I've ever needed.

Guest ClayJar

MapSend Topo has been everything I need. It's got topo, but it also has all the street detail (and plenty of POIs, if you're into that sort of thing icon_wink.gif). I don't know particularly what the other packages might have, but topo and street detail is all I've ever needed.

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by Mitch:

Thank you. I was hoping the topo had both and I'll start with that.

Thanks again - Mitch

Yeah, and burn me a copy.

Just kidding...that would be illegal.

Guest Groover

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

Just bumping this back to the top to refresh the ideas herein.

Why? I downloaded this whole page to learn nothing new. Surely people interested in the Meridian Gold can do a search?

Andy

(and now I am continuing the "adding nothing new" to this topic...)

Let me add a little insight:

ClayJar is one of a few "resident experts" that spends a good deal of time helping answer questions in depth for a lot of new and experienced cachers in the forums here.

Since there was a new cacher to the forums asking some specific questions today and some possible answers were in this thread of his Meridian review (and he didn't see this thread and started a new one) - and considering there has been other cachers just recently asking questions about their new Meridians... I am sure that Clayjar was only trying to make this informative thread more visible.

Sorry you don't have a cable modem. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

navdog

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 31 October 2001).]

Let me add a little insight:

ClayJar is one of a few "resident experts" that spends a good deal of time helping answer questions in depth for a lot of new and experienced cachers in the forums here.

Since there was a new cacher to the forums asking some specific questions today and some possible answers were in this thread of his Meridian review (and he didn't see this thread and started a new one) - and considering there has been other cachers just recently asking questions about their new Meridians... I am sure that Clayjar was only trying to make this informative thread more visible.

Sorry you don't have a cable modem. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be."

-Douglas Adams

navdog

[This message has been edited by navdog (edited 31 October 2001).]

Guest phantom4099

I just got the meridan gold today, I was checking the out the diffrences in it from the 330 when I noticed that magellan left out nearly 300 miles of the missouri river between Fort Randall Dam (SD) through Pierre(SD)to Bismark (ND). It disappears after you zoom in past 25 mile scale. Can any one else confirm this, If so how can I let magellan know they missed that.

Guest ClayJar

Okay, here's a little more info:

It's not called the Missouri River in that stretch, it's Lake Oahe.

• If you set your detail to "medium" in the "Map Setup" page, you'll see Lake Oahe down to the 7.00mi zoom level, and you'll see the Missouri River from the 3.50mi zoom level and in.
  • If you set your detail to "high", Lake Oahe appears at the 12.0mi zoom level (with the Missouri River appearing at closer zooms).
  • At the "highest" detail, you get Lake Oahe at 25.0mi and out, with the Missouri River at 12.0mi and in.
  • At "low" and "lowest" you get the Missouri River at 1.60mi and in, and you get Lake Oahe at 7.00mi and out (you get neither at 3.50mi)

You'll have to ask Thales Navigation (i.e. Magellan) about just what it is with the firmware/basemap that makes it do this, but now you have a complete description of the behavior, I suppose. Tell them the coordinates of the top end of Lake Oahe (as shown in the Meridian Gold) so they know exactly where to look; I'd give you the coords, but I've turned my receiver off and it's a long scroll back to ND from LA. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 01 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Okay, here's a little more info:

It's not called the Missouri River in that stretch, it's Lake Oahe.

• If you set your detail to "medium" in the "Map Setup" page, you'll see Lake Oahe down to the 7.00mi zoom level, and you'll see the Missouri River from the 3.50mi zoom level and in.
  • If you set your detail to "high", Lake Oahe appears at the 12.0mi zoom level (with the Missouri River appearing at closer zooms).
  • At the "highest" detail, you get Lake Oahe at 25.0mi and out, with the Missouri River at 12.0mi and in.
  • At "low" and "lowest" you get the Missouri River at 1.60mi and in, and you get Lake Oahe at 7.00mi and out (you get neither at 3.50mi)

You'll have to ask Thales Navigation (i.e. Magellan) about just what it is with the firmware/basemap that makes it do this, but now you have a complete description of the behavior, I suppose. Tell them the coordinates of the top end of Lake Oahe (as shown in the Meridian Gold) so they know exactly where to look; I'd give you the coords, but I've turned my receiver off and it's a long scroll back to ND from LA. icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 01 November 2001).]

Guest Utahbill

Lessons Learned Today-

1. Be very careful removing the batteries from the meridian. It's easy to push the contacts out of place as stated in Clayjars earlier post. I called Magellan to find out how to correct this. They let me know if we want we can send in our meridians and have this permanently fixed. If you choose to do this call them first.

2. I could only send regions from the mapsend CD to my meridian were both set at 4800 Baud rate. Any one able to send faster?

quote:

Meridian + MapSend + SD card reader mini-HOWTO

Note: You can also transfer any of the detail maps from the "...ExportImages" directory, but the Meridian will only recognize one file (the one you name "DETAIL00.IMG").

As I wait for my Meridian Platinum to show up - could you check to see if the maps are also available on the MapSend CDROM? If so, that would mean that I don't have to install the MapSend software to load new maps on the Meridian SD card. I am using Mac OSX and this would mean that I don't have to install Virtual PC to load maps onto the Meridian (the entire fact that there is no SD USB reader/writers that have drivers for OSX not withstanding icon_frown.gif )

Thanks,

Laurie

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 03 November 2001).]

quote:

Meridian + MapSend + SD card reader mini-HOWTO

Note: You can also transfer any of the detail maps from the "...ExportImages" directory, but the Meridian will only recognize one file (the one you name "DETAIL00.IMG").

As I wait for my Meridian Platinum to show up - could you check to see if the maps are also available on the MapSend CDROM? If so, that would mean that I don't have to install the MapSend software to load new maps on the Meridian SD card. I am using Mac OSX and this would mean that I don't have to install Virtual PC to load maps onto the Meridian (the entire fact that there is no SD USB reader/writers that have drivers for OSX not withstanding icon_frown.gif )

Thanks,

Laurie

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 03 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

As I wait for my Meridian Platinum to show up - could you check to see if the maps are also available on the MapSend CDROM? If so, that would mean that I don't have to install the MapSend software to load new maps on the Meridian SD card.

The map images (*.img) are compiled from the exceedingly large number of data files on the CD just prior to "uploading"; you have to use MapSend to compile the images.

quote:
I am using Mac OSX and this would mean that I don't have to install Virtual PC to load maps onto the Meridian (the entire fact that there is no SD USB reader/writers that have drivers for OSX not withstanding icon_frown.gif )

There ought to be at least one SD/MMC reader supported by OSX... of course, that doesn't mean there is. (And my cat ought not be lying down and acting completely enamored by my shoe, but she's playing with it like it's her new best friend... must have been something in the water I was paddling through.)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by laurie:

As I wait for my Meridian Platinum to show up - could you check to see if the maps are also available on the MapSend CDROM? If so, that would mean that I don't have to install the MapSend software to load new maps on the Meridian SD card.

The map images (*.img) are compiled from the exceedingly large number of data files on the CD just prior to "uploading"; you have to use MapSend to compile the images.

quote:
I am using Mac OSX and this would mean that I don't have to install Virtual PC to load maps onto the Meridian (the entire fact that there is no SD USB reader/writers that have drivers for OSX not withstanding icon_frown.gif )

There ought to be at least one SD/MMC reader supported by OSX... of course, that doesn't mean there is. (And my cat ought not be lying down and acting completely enamored by my shoe, but she's playing with it like it's her new best friend... must have been something in the water I was paddling through.)

quote:

Ya - you would think, but they are not available yet due to driver support. Should be available sometime in December or January. This is the same timeframe for every different USB card reader that I have investigated.

Heck, I can't sync my Visor yet icon_wink.gif so no worries...

Laurie

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 04 November 2001).]

quote:

Ya - you would think, but they are not available yet due to driver support. Should be available sometime in December or January. This is the same timeframe for every different USB card reader that I have investigated.

Heck, I can't sync my Visor yet icon_wink.gif so no worries...

Laurie

[This message has been edited by laurie (edited 04 November 2001).]

Guest splashd

quote:

WOuld there be any need to buy the Mapsend Streetmaps CD then?

ALso,

would the Mapsend TOpo allow me to do street navigation with assistance (like advance turn warning, etc)?

thanks for all the useful info.

[This message has been edited by splashd (edited 04 November 2001).]

Guest splashd

quote:

ALso,

would the Mapsend TOpo allow me to do street navigation with assistance (like advance turn warning, etc)?

thanks for all the useful info.

[This message has been edited by splashd (edited 04 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by splashd:

Ever since I got MapSend Topo I haven't used MapSend Streets at all.

quote:
ALso,

You can use it to create routes, but it doesn't go so far as to do automatic turn-by-turn directions like the Garmin GPS V. For example, when I go on trips, I usually go to MapBlast to find an optimal route; then I go to MapSend Topo and mark all the intersections and put them into routes (changing the directions slightly to avoid construction, road closures, world famous speed traps, etc.).

Guest phantom4099

I was just wondering if I compare two reciever should'nt the time be the same? I was comparing the merigold and the mag315 when I noticed the merigold was about 2 second slow, at first I thought it was probaly the 315 due to it being older. I then started to watched the merigold for a while and i noticed it sometimes skip a sec then other times it would slows down and speeds up. The 315 on the other hand kept going at a steady rate. Is this normal?

Guest Geoffrey

t of processor power away from other things, like screen redraw, and etc. I noticed this on my GPS. I would turn off the battery saver, WAAS, Electronic Compass, and the Interface port, and then the GPS seems to be more responsive. Also this saves on batteries also, except for the battery saver.

I have used Magellans in 98 and 99, back when 12 channel units were fairly new.

------------------

http://members.aol.com/geoffr524/myhomepage/howto.html

[This message has been edited by Geoffrey (edited 07 November 2001).]

ClayJar,

I used your method of copying the map images to the Meridian Gold but have run into a problem - after copying and renaming the file, I power up the unit and after going through the 'lawyer deflector' message it attempts to load the map info and reboots! If I transfer the info by the serial cable it doesn't seem to have this problem. Any thoughts?

Bob

[This message has been edited by bhench (edited 08 November 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Which particular file are you attempting to use? If you want to try something, upload a map (or maps) to the receiver, then compare the map image file on the SD card to the file on the PC. The sizes should match (you could look at it with a binary diff utility if you had one, but hey). If the sizes match, try putting the file from the hard drive onto the card and see if that works.

I'm a bit surprised by your problem. I'll have to see what you can tell me, and perhaps it'll give me some experiments to try out. (Actually, I can think of one already... depending on your answer, I may have to e-mail you or have you e-mail me a region file and map...)

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Watson:

It's been a couple months since this information was brought out and waved in front of the unwashed masses. It's just too good to let fade away when these units are in such common use.

Well, at least let's add something new and useful to the mix...

To access the secret detail map switching menu, which lists all the detail map files loaded on the SD card, hold the NAV and GOTO buttons while you hit the PWR button to turn the receiver on. It helps to use 8-character filenames, and obviously they need to be .img, but you can use joined (multi-region, up to 4) or plain .img files.

Oh, and to shut off a locked receiver, don't pull the batteries, hit GOTO-ESC-ENTER.

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 12 January 2002).]

Guest phantom4099

Why does it have to be 8 letters long? I have some areas that are less than 8 but none no more than 8. I have not seen where it does not read it, but I sometimes have it shut itself off if I tax it too hard.

Wyatt

------------------

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:

Why does it have to be 8 letters long? I have some areas that are less than 8 but none no more than 8. I have not seen where it does not read it, but I sometimes have it shut itself off if I tax it too hard.

Wyatt

The FAT filesystem (which is what the cards are using) only allows an 8.3 filename. What you see in Windows (unless you're using NTFS) is a cheap hack on it to allow longer filenames.

Guest ClayJar

quote:

Why does it have to be 8 letters long?

Because the receiver will only display the 8-letter short name. You can use long names, but then you'll actually only see sixlet~1 in menu 92. ("sixlet~1" would be the displayed name for the long name "six letters.img", in case you didn't understand that little geek-out.)

quote:
Originally posted by dakboy:

The FAT filesystem (which is what the cards are using) only allows an 8.3 filename. What you see in Windows (unless you're using NTFS) is a cheap hack on it to allow longer filenames.

I wouldn't call it a "cheap hack". While I admit that it falls somewhat short of elegant, I consider it a fairly nice hack. (The fact that MS, of all poeple, can't use LFN in real mode DOS, however, is IMNSHO, a triumph of idiot suits over geeks.)

Guest corvaire

Wow, ClayJar - great review!! I am looking at buying either a Meridian Gold or Meridian Marine. I would be looking at using it for kayaking and hiking. Since I am a total newbie, I am looking for any advice on which to choose.

The stores list the Marine as having some low-level waterproofing, and that it floats. When I called Thales, they said the MeriGold is also waterproofed to the same standard (but I'm not sure it floats). Thales said the Marine base info (16Mb) is the same as the MeriGold, but with the addition of the marine information as well.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Guest ClayJar

inally posted by corvaire:

The stores list the Marine as having some low-level waterproofing, and that it floats. When I called Thales, they said the MeriGold is also waterproofed to the same standard (but I'm not sure it floats). Thales said the Marine base info (16Mb) is the same as the MeriGold, but with the addition of the marine information as well.

Basically, there's not going to be that much difference at all between a MeriGold and a MeriMari if you buy MapSend (Topo or whatever). $12 isn't very much difference in price, either. So, it really boils down to color choice (and I'm only half kidding; if you drop it overboard, the MeriMari is higher-visibility, but if you mostly hike, the nicely understated MeriGold is wonderful).

Do you prefer the land-style gold-olive-ish drab with black trim and buttons or the marine-style white with blue trim and buttons? icon_biggrin.gif

Meridian_Gold.jpgMeridian_Marine.jpg

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 January 2002).]

Guest ClayJar

inally posted by corvaire:

Basically, there's not going to be that much difference at all between a MeriGold and a MeriMari if you buy MapSend (Topo or whatever). $12 isn't very much difference in price, either. So, it really boils down to color choice (and I'm only half kidding; if you drop it overboard, the MeriMari is higher-visibility, but if you mostly hike, the nicely understated MeriGold is wonderful).

Do you prefer the land-style gold-olive-ish drab with black trim and buttons or the marine-style white with blue trim and buttons? icon_biggrin.gif

Meridian_Gold.jpgMeridian_Marine.jpg

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 14 January 2002).]

quote:

To access the secret detail map switching menu, which lists all the detail map files loaded on the SD card, hold the NAV and GOTO buttons while you hit the PWR button to turn the receiver on. It helps to use 8-character filenames, and obviously they need to be .img, but you can use joined (multi-region, up to 4) or plain .img files.

Does this mean I can get the Meridian to load maps other than detail00.img from the SD?

Guest ClayJar

quote:
Originally posted by Trango:

Does this mean I can get the Meridian to load maps other than detail00.img from the SD?

Simply put:

1. Hold the [NAV] and [GOTO] buttons.
  2. Press [PWR].
  3. Release the [NAV] and [GOTO] buttons when the box pops up.
  4. Enter 92 in the box.
  5. Press [ENTER].
  6. Select your map (or no map).
  7. Press [ENTER].

Simple enough?