eTrex Legend - A1 for Accuracy!

Just got my Legend a couple of weeks ago, and couldn't be happier. I have found one cache so far (It can be a tough sport when you can only cache near bus routes, icon_rolleyes.gif ). Today I decided to see just how accurate it was, and after doing a pull off of the Natural Resources Canada website, I found a Geodetic Survey Division Marker located in park not too far away. {Marker 4719066 NEEDHAM (368) 106 N44 39 55. 5504 63 36 2.7585}, which translates into:

N44°39.925833 W63°36.045966. The reading on my legend, when right on top of the marker was:N44 39.926 W063 36.046, and it indicated < 2.5 ft from the waypoint I had entered in! I don't know about anyone else, but I am not going to complain about those numbers.

Now, with those numbers, why did I get skunked on those two caches this morning????

I have a legend also, and I am impressed with the accuracy. However, I have two small suggestions. When you convert from seconds to decimals of a minute, I believe you should round to the hundredth (two places) only, which makes benchmarks measured in seconds not as useful.

Also, for benchmarks, you should use the NGS "adjusted" benchmarks which are listed to the one hundred thousandth of a second, which is centimeter accuracy. (They use very highly accurate GPSr units). Please see my topics in the General and Benchmark forums regarding how to find and use these benchmarks.

Our Legends allow one thousandth of a minute, which means rounding the coords of one of these benchmarks. Go to one of these benchmarks, use some trig to calculate where to place your GPSr in relationship to the benchmark and see your accuracy. For your calculations, go to Markwell's FAQ site to see the distance of one thousandth of a minute in longitude at your latitude.

quote:
Originally posted by SpongeRob:

There is usually more to a cache than just the coordinates. Also, who said that the person hiding the cache had just as accurate readings?

icon_biggrin.gif Very true Rob, but actually that post should have read:

<sarcasm> Now, with those numbers, why did I get skunked on those two caches this morning???? </sarcasm>