MeriGold Zoom Zoom

I've been using a Garmin eTrex Venture which would zoom down to 20-ft (nice). I've recently been playing with a Meridian Gold and even on the highest detail it doesn't zoom down less than 100-ft.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any solution to get the MeriGold to zoom down more?

I totally enjoy searching for caches but prefer to narrow down the search a little more than 100-ft radius!

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

-missnomer

To my knowledge, the Meridian line will zoom to the 100-ft resolution and that's it. Of course, the term 100-ft means very little without knowledge of the scale. My screen shows roughly a 300x400 ft area, as the 100-ft scale is about 1/3 the width of the screen and about 1/4 the height.

In any case, I've never found that to be a limitation. There are many things I don't like about my Gold, but that isn't one of them. Usually, I keep mine on the 0.20 mile screen so that I can get the "big picture."

If I'm searching for a cache and I'm getting close, I use the arrow screen... or if I'm really close, I check my bearing and use a compass. Are you using the map screen to hunt for a cache?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by missnomer:

I totally enjoy searching for caches but prefer to narrow down the search a little more than 100-ft radius!

One option you may want to try is to change the "Map Info Fields" on the map screen to Distance and Bearing. Personally, I have mine set to Distance and Speed, but I generally don't use the map screen unless I'm more than several hundred feet from the cache.

Like Jamie said, that 100ft scale equates to roughly a 1/2" inch square anywhere on your screen. If you can get yourself and the cache dead center on the screen, you're way within the margin of error for the GPSr.

I'm going to have to try hunting with the map though. Maybe that's something I'm missing out on here...

alex