eTrex Legend "Memory Used"

In the "Setup | System" section of the Main Menu, what is counted towards the "Memory Used" bar at the bottom of the screen?

I have a single MetroGuide v4 map tile loaded into my Legend, 2.59 Mb, so I expected that bar to be at 33% or so. (I also have a couple of waypoints, a track, and the "User Details" filled in.) However, it says 2%. What the heck?

Thinking just the map tile wasn't being counted, I went to the Trip Computer page and reset everything (all stored waypoints, the track) (nothing I cared about, as I've just been playing with my new toy so far). Still 2%.

Is the 2% the user info? How come the map data isn't showing up? Or are there two separate programmable memory areas? I'm just a little confused, and would like to know how this works. Thanks. icon_smile.gif

Waypoints/tracks/routes are stored in a different memory area than the maps that you've uploaded to the GPS. The memory status bar displays the memory used/remaining for waypoints/tracks/routes. Any maps you've uploaded to the GPS will have no effect on the memory status bar.

When I was carrying my eTrex Venture I noticed that the memory used crept up with each upgrade even when I had no waypoints, routes or tracks and the track log was cleared - so this space may also be used to store program code.

I noticed that when the 'big' update came out (the one that wiped the device clean and needed to re-aquire satellites) that the memory usage when back down to around 4%.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

The only way to see how much memory your maps require is to check what they are summed up to by MapSource, when selecting which maps to download.

The memory gauge at the system setup page in the Legend/Vista or whatever, indicates how much of the available memory for waypoints, routes and tracks that is used. There is then a separate gauge for the active track (but Garmin's programmers can't count percent correctly, hence 100% is always shown as 99%).

To fill the memory of the Vista to 100%, you need to have:

1000 waypoints.

20 routes, each with 125 waypoints.

10 stored tracks, each with 750 trackpoints.

An active track with 10000 points.

All these at the same time.

Anders

I've found that this memory relates to the tracking active log. You can save the current tracks (active log). The memory will still have the same amount used because nothing has been cleared yet. After you clear the active log, the memory will go back to zero - even if you have nine saved tracks! Caveat: the active track log contains much more data than the saved logs!!! Saved tracks contain altitude, leg course and leg distance. The active log contains Time, Lat & Lon data, speed and some other stuff that I cannot think of at the moment. Both saved tracks and the active log will show your tracks on the maps.

Then you are looking at the memory gauge at the tracks page. That displays the memory used by the active track only. The gauge at the system setup page shows the total amount of memory used. It will be influenced when you clear the active track, but it will not go down to zero, if you have other things stored in the unit.

There are of course lat & lon data in the saved tracks too. Or how do you think they can appear on the map? No speed and time data in these tracks, though.

Anders